Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 02:05 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,218,047 times

Advertisements

I define sprawl as the unbalanced growth in land absorption vis-a-vis population. That is to say that we have been growing our physical limits faster than our population since WWII. This has caused the sprawl we have been experiencing across America.
I think we will see the day when more American cities will grow their populations faster than their land absorption. This trend will reduce sprawl but it won't eliminate the physical growth of cities themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 03:16 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,862,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
It is a 120 mile corridor of sprawl along I-5 and 405, due to topographical features, unlike Houston and Dallas which has low density sprawl in every direction.
Houston has a bay to the east/southeast, so can't expand that way.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:17 PM

4,367 posts, read 4,582,628 times
Since "sprawl" is a continuous expansion of suburbia, what we're really discussing here is actually "will suburbia ever stop growing?"

As with many other things in life, I see a cycle at play. During the 1800's and the early 1900's, rural America was the center of life in the U.S. Then, in the mid-20th century years, fueled by industry and big business, the cities dominated. By the mid-1950's-- partly due to the creation of our national interstate highway system-- the suburbs began luring people out of the big cities. Now, in the new millenium, the exurbs are booming. These outer-tier suburban areas are semi-rural in nature.
So, it seems obvious to me that "the cycle" is eventually going to come full-circle. The appeal of rural life is slowly returning. I predict that rural America is poised to make a comeback.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:17 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,273,500 times
I'd be down for that^

Old 07-11-2010, 12:52 PM

5,516 posts, read 9,517,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
I'd be down for that^
I'm not interested in living in a sprawly rural America. But, I have no problem with it IF people are willing to use their excess land for something more than cultivating a lawn.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:50 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,522,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
Since "sprawl" is a continuous expansion of suburbia, what we're really discussing here is actually "will suburbia ever stop growing?"

As with many other things in life, I see a cycle at play. During the 1800's and the early 1900's, rural America was the center of life in the U.S. Then, in the mid-20th century years, fueled by industry and big business, the cities dominated. By the mid-1950's-- partly due to the creation of our national interstate highway system-- the suburbs began luring people out of the big cities. Now, in the new millenium, the exurbs are booming. These outer-tier suburban areas are semi-rural in nature.
So, it seems obvious to me that "the cycle" is eventually going to come full-circle. The appeal of rural life is slowly returning. I predict that rural America is poised to make a comeback.
You might be on to something here. Also technology allows people to be connected more and with things like telecommuting allows people to live in more rural settings and have good employment. The decentralization of work is changing how urban/suburban/exurban/rural areas work. Also have to consider places outside of major metros as more desireable, from smaller metros all the way down to rural areas (especially if they aren't too far from making occaisonal large town or city trips).

It would also be interesting if this follows with revitilization of downtowns in towns and cities of 5k-50k much like what happened with large cities.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:33 AM

382 posts, read 1,055,977 times
The mass-producing home builders that build most of suburbs are nearsighted. These homes are built purely with the bottom-line in mind and will look much less desirable when they aren't fresh anymore. Many of them have problems from the beginning. The next wave of buyers of these used suburban homes may be people who buy for cheapness- as cities gentrify and poor people move outward- and won't have the time, funds or give a damn to up-keep an unnecessarily sized house and yard. Subdivisions and 'burbs are built to have perception of freshness- it won't last. For young people with money, it's all about interesting, well built housing availability, transportation options, proximity to interesting bars, restaurants and shops, and an overall sense of community. With the exception of a few suburbs, this doesn't happen on the periphery; suburbs have a lot or re-zoning and catching up to do in order to attract a new crowd.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:53 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,522,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann_Arbor View Post
The mass-producing home builders that build most of suburbs are nearsighted. These homes are built purely with the bottom-line in mind and will look much less desirable when they aren't fresh anymore. Many of them have problems from the beginning. The next wave of buyers of these used suburban homes may be people who buy for cheapness- as cities gentrify and poor people move outward- and won't have the time, funds or give a damn to up-keep an unnecessarily sized house and yard. Subdivisions and 'burbs are built to have perception of freshness- it won't last. For young people with money, it's all about interesting, well built housing availability, transportation options, proximity to interesting bars, restaurants and shops, and an overall sense of community. With the exception of a few suburbs, this doesn't happen on the periphery; suburbs have a lot or re-zoning and catching up to do in order to attract a new crowd.
I am thinking suburban redevelopment is going to be a larger trend overall. Partially due to many of them are now over 50 years old now. That and cities and counties will want to redevelop denser in these places to get more revenue.

Old 07-13-2010, 01:10 PM

382 posts, read 1,055,977 times
imperialmog

yea, i totally agree. this is an interesting article Ellen Dunham-Jones: Retrofitting suburbia | Video on TED.com

Old 07-20-2010, 01:20 AM
X72

14 posts, read 25,745 times
I think sprawl is uncontrollable because the government wants it, developers want it, and most importantly a very large percentage of the American population wants it. The only way sprawl would stop is if the United States experienced an economic stock crash. That could either slow down or stop sprawl, at least temporarily. Only then would that shock the common American and the US government into re-thinking their priorities. Only at that time of great catastophy and struggle would people be malleable enough to accept a solution to save them from their fears, hopefully one that has very strong enviornmental safeguards in place. If people know that U.S. based system of capitalism fails, they will demand a different solution. Maybe the United Nations could step up onto the plate and introduce a new form of economy worldwide, that would put the enviornment as the number one priority, thus ending sprawl forever, perhaps even reversing it. I know this sounds like a movie but to me it seems plausible.

If an economic stock crash doesn't happen, I do not think it is realistically possible that the U.S. government could stop sprawl even if they wanted to. People would be extremely angry if the federal government passed a law stating there are to be no new subdivision development. Not to mention the oil and development companies would also be very angry as well.

Short of an economic stock crash happening or the federal government passing a law, they could impose a higher taxes on all people living in suburban developments or stop funding and subsidizing them. But even that would be a very hard sell and it would be unlikely to pass.

It seems to be an impossible situation because sprawl is wanted by many Americans and preserving the enviornment is anti-thetical to the American way of life. Only if you stop the American way of life can you stop sprawl and save the enviornment and 99% of Americans are not willing to do that.

Last edited by X72; 07-20-2010 at 01:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning