Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 02:16 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The point is that you have to abstract from the individual subjectivity to focus on the logical components of the topic at hand to have an objective discussion.
And my point is that logic doesn't apply here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 02:34 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
And my point is that logic doesn't apply here.
Well, that much is clear.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
by whom? since i come to this forum to discuss policy, etc and not to judge Katiana, where you live and work isnt a concern to me.
High ho, Silver! (High horse)

We're all being judged. All this carping about the "ethics" of living in a far-out suburb is judgemental. You were the one who brought up that place of employment needs to be taken into account in connection with place of residence. I'm pointing out, as I have numerous times, that I live close to my work, even though I live in a "far-out" suburb. Everyone talks about themselves and where they live on here. I am not alone.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
High ho, Silver! (High horse)

We're all being judged.
I am not surprised that you believe that. I think it would be healthier not to worry about it so much.

Quote:

All this carping about the "ethics" of living in a far-out suburb is judgemental..
Is saying X is better than Y judgemental? that giving to charity is better than not giving?

Quote:

You were the one who brought up that place of employment needs to be taken into account in connection with place of residence.
I was speaking in the abstract, not about any particular individual.

Quote:

I'm pointing out, as I have numerous times, that I live close to my work, even though I live in a "far-out" suburb. Everyone talks about themselves and where they live on here. I am not alone.
I talk about where I live only to give a specific example in a specific context. I do NOT expect anyone else here to remember where I live, or any personal facts about me. In fact as often as not I find it creepy when people do.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
I am not surprised that you believe that. I think it would be healthier not to worry about it so much.

Yet YOU were the one who accused me of attacking you when no attack was intended. You've also complained about people being "hostile" to you when they disagreed. Perhaps you should take your own advice.

Is saying X is better than Y judgemental? that giving to charity is better than not giving?

Hell, yes, it's judegmental!

I was speaking in the abstract, not about any particular individual.

I was giving a real life example.

I talk about where I live only to give a specific example in a specific context. I do NOT expect anyone else here to remember where I live, or any personal facts about me. In fact as often as not I find it creepy when people do.
Go feed Silver.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
A writer describes why he moved back to the burbs:

Why I Moved Back to the Suburbs - Housing - The Atlantic Cities

Goes back to the stereotypes mentioned earlier.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:11 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I
As any journalist can tell you, "words have meaning".
Yes, but i think the ideas more important than specific words. Context helps, too.

When I Use A Word, It Means Just What I Choose It To Mean — Neither More Nor Less

Old 08-24-2012, 10:10 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,944,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A writer describes why he moved back to the burbs:

Why I Moved Back to the Suburbs - Housing - The Atlantic Cities

Goes back to the stereotypes mentioned earlier.
Good read. You should make a topic on it since he brings up some important issues like gentrification and how urban areas are marketed as being for creative types because of past history with important artists.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:35 AM

21,865 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octa View Post
Good read. You should make a topic on it since he brings up some important issues like gentrification and how urban areas are marketed as being for creative types because of past history with important artists.
The creative class refers to knowledge workers as well... lawyers, accountants, doctors, computer programmers, engineers, educators. The layman definition that gets so much ill-use of creative-class ignores them. Personally, I think creative class theory is bunk. While it's true my job is creative, it's a creative that no one else sees nor cares about. The end result is not creative, merely the methods to achieve it. That leads me to identify more with the more populist definition of creative-type and not identify myself as being one.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:40 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
The creative class refers to knowledge workers as well... lawyers, accountants, doctors, computer programmers, engineers, educators. The layman definition that gets so much ill-use of creative-class ignores them. Personally, I think creative class theory is bunk. While it's true my job is creative, it's a creative that no one else sees nor cares about. The end result is not creative, merely the methods to achieve it. That leads me to identify more with the more populist definition of creative-type and not identify myself as being one.

I generally would not consider accounts as creative. Now Romney's accountants, that is another story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning