Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 08:50 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm missing something...Pittsburgh's dramatic loss of population over the past 50 years is proof that people aren't moving to the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 08:59 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, I'm pretty far from Pittsburgh now, 1500 miles away. Most of what I know about what's going on there comes from CD and my brother. I was mostly thinking about this issue that it's "the system" that drove people to the suburbs. I don't think this is true in that city, esp. now when the city population is less than half of what it was at its peak. It has the infrastructure to handle a lot more people. Another thing it wasn't is "white flight", as Pittsburgh is still one of the "whitest" cities in the US.
Pittsburgh never had a tremendous non-white population in the first place. What happened in Baltimore is the suburbs flourished while the city declined; I think the fate of the suburbs and city were more linked together in Pittsburgh in its decline.

One thing Pitt has going for it now is the Pittsburgh Promise: $40k paid tuition for Pitt public schools students. The Pittsburgh Promise - It Lives in All of Us

By all accounts, Pittsburgh has adjusted better in its post-industrial years than Baltimore.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Maybe I'm missing something...Pittsburgh's dramatic loss of population over the past 50 years is proof that people aren't moving to the suburbs?
Yes, you are missing something. In Pittsburgh anyway, there is no evidence that "the system" forced people to move to the suburbs. There is ample housing, now vacant and in many cases in disrepair, to house twice the number of people who live there.

Here is the yearly MSA population since 1970 (as far back as this particular link goes):
Pittsburgh, PA MSA Population and Components of Change -- Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University Home

Here is the city population since 1800:
Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-27-2012, 09:39 AM

Is this a strawman? I can't find the OP about "the system." What exactly are you arguing here?

Old 08-27-2012, 09:47 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Is this a strawman? I can't find the OP about "the system." What exactly are you arguing here?
Now don't be cute here, HandsUp. Surely you remember that whole series of posts about suburbs being immoral, but not the people who live there (!) b/c it's the "system" that forces people to move to the burbs, followed by how expensive it is to live in some cities b/c all the housing is already being rented, yada, yada.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Now don't be cute here, HandsUp. Surely you remember that whole series of posts about suburbs being immoral, but not the people who live there (!) b/c it's the "system" that forces people to move to the burbs, followed by how expensive it is to live in some cities b/c all the housing is already being rented, yada, yada.
You keep throwing "the system" in quotes but I don't remember it being referred to as such. I think there are a lot of reasons the suburbs grew in popularity, as have been identified by many posters here, yourself included.

You seem to be referencing one reason, then trying to say that this is so often referenced that it could be called "the system." I just don't think this argument is as ubiquitous as you are making it out to be.

Stating that there are vacant homes in Pittsburgh as evidence that "the system" isn't universal seems like a strawman to me, because "the system" is something you have created!

Old 08-27-2012, 10:15 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,878,218 times
Quote:
It's only too expensive to live in the city where the city has gentrified. Some cities like NYC, San Fran, Boston, etc. have gentrified and become nice urban areas that are under high demand. However, the market of home buyers doesn't just take off. Crime, schools, unkept housing stocks, bad neighborhoods, cities/neighborhoods with bad reputations are all things that these places have to overcome before they become liveable and expensive. This requires decades of reinvestment, urban pioneering, community building, marketing, etc. to happen. It's also an uphill battle because taxes are higher in many of these cities because of the vacancy.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:13 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,289,625 times
Wow, it's almost as though it was not possible to judge all cities by the same metric--what an enormous surprise. Some cities shrank over the past 50 years and others grew, based largely on whether or not they were able to annex nearby suburbs. Rust Belt and eastern cities generally shrank, while Sun Belt and western cities generally grew, but in both cases suburbanization was the cause, facilitated by policies that promoted suburbanization and left a lot of cities either hollow in the middle or hypertrophied but not nearly as dense.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:02 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,925,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
Wow, it's almost as though it was not possible to judge all cities by the same metric--what an enormous surprise. Some cities shrank over the past 50 years and others grew, based largely on whether or not they were able to annex nearby suburbs. Rust Belt and eastern cities generally shrank, while Sun Belt and western cities generally grew, but in both cases suburbanization was the cause, facilitated by policies that promoted suburbanization and left a lot of cities either hollow in the middle or hypertrophied but not nearly as dense.
Perhaps this will lead to the destruction of excess housing, thus creating the possibility of a suburban lifestyle..within the confines of the old city. If you have a street loaded with boarded-up housing, but in close proximity to other housing, then just raize the unoccupied homes, plant some new grass and trees, and pave over some of the remaining land for driveways, and volia!...instant suburbia. This will certainly lure those out in exurbia to become "urban pioneers"...

Old 08-27-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Perhaps this will lead to the destruction of excess housing, thus creating the possibility of a suburban lifestyle..within the confines of the old city. If you have a street loaded with boarded-up housing, but in close proximity to other housing, then just raize the unoccupied homes, plant some new grass and trees, and pave over some of the remaining land for driveways, and volia!...instant suburbia. This will certainly lure those out in exurbia to become "urban pioneers"...
Been tried here, with questionable success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning