Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,078,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It definitely would have. But functionally, the meaning isn't too different. The last several pages are partly a debate over word choice, which is rather annoying.
It would have been better if UU doesn't say that a particular environment that hundreds of thousands of honest, hard working people live in everyday is unethical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 05:17 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,684,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
UU is saying that designing auto-dependent is unethical. Well there are people who are living in those unethcal suburbs, so I would consider that a personal attack.

Get over it so the rest of us can have an adult conversation.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Get over it so the rest of us can have an adult conversation.
You're right, lets have an adult conversation that begins with calling a place people live in unethical.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:59 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
What suburbanites and urbanites think of these pictures?

---------------------------------------------------

Which one is the most moral upstanding? The ones with pure snow? Jaggedy rock? Is the bicycle parking a clear sign of moral righteousness? Or are more psychedelic colors necessary, like the fourth picture.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
What suburbanites and urbanites think of these pictures?

---------------------------------------------------

Which one is the most moral upstanding? The ones with pure snow? Jaggedy rock? Is the bicycle parking a clear sign of moral righteousness? Or are more psychedelic colors necessary, like the fourth picture.
I think all those pictures look great. They do nothing for me personally, but I can see why people would like them. If those are the environments that people choose to live, more power to them. i'm happy for them.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,535,348 times
I like 'em all except for that weird villa. It looks like high-end rebar and concrete construction you see in South America.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
I think all those pictures look great. They do nothing for me personally, but I can see why people would like them. If those are the environments that people choose to live, more power to them. i'm happy for them.
Thanks! Government does not permit anyone to live in the last set of photos (the four mountain ones). Do you think that's an issue? The only people allowed to live them are temporary fire tower watchers for the summer, like Jack Kerouac back in the 50s.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:16 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,535,348 times
Quote:
Thanks! Government does not permit anyone to live in the last set of photos (the four mountain ones). Do you think that's an issue? The only people allowed to live them are temporary fire tower watchers for the summer, like Jack Kerouac back in the 50s.
Whoa I always wondered what the view was like from Kerouac's tower. Which book was that, Dharma Bums? Very cool.

Old 08-22-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Whoa I always wondered what the view was like from Kerouac's tower. Which book was that, Dharma Bums? Very cool.
He got to see this mountain every day from different angle:

"O God I'm bored! But is Hozomeen bored? And I'm sick of words and explanations. Is Hozomeen?" — Jack Kerouac

Old 08-22-2012, 07:30 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,762,094 times
Quote:
well based of UU previous post he/she seems to be under the impression if people had more options for an urban environment, we would see a shift in more people living an urban lifestyle and than a suburban lifestyle.
Well, yeah, that sums it up pretty well. I don't think everyone wants to live in Manhattan. But there's high demand for more walkable suburbs, and studies have shown that that's what many people DO want. Not all people, and maybe not even most people, but a lot of people. That doesn't mean they all want to go live in urban apartments downtown or live in a townhouse, but there seem to be a LOT of people out there who want to live in suburbs where their kids can safely walk to school and where they can stroll to a nearby coffee shop or to the library. And among brand-new developments new urbanist subdivisions (which I admit have their problems) tend to come with a higher price tag than conventional subdivisions nearby. Recent numbers have shown that rent and sales prices is higher in walkable communities. That suggests that people increasingly DO want some more "urban" elements to their suburban neighborhoods. It also, I think, suggests that since walkable comes with a higher price tag, there must be people out there who would prefer more walkable, but can't afford it (or would consider walkability a plus, but put it at a lower priority than house size, etc.). Seems like it's to society's benefit to ease up restrictions to better allow new developers to give people what they want, especially since what the people want also has the added benefit of reducing total trips by car and potentially saves money on building and maintaining infrastructure (and yes, I know that many places are doing just that, which I think is a positive trend.).

Last edited by uptown_urbanist; 08-22-2012 at 07:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning