Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 04:23 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
I know a handful of people at work who bought them in the same suburban tracks. When invited over to one of their houses for dinner there were obvious remarks about who had the largest house or yard. The following day, one of the people who attended the same dinner remarked on the envy within the group...last time I go over there.

Then there are the same types of people who buy cars to impress. There's a lot of this in our country. Not everyone who owns a nice car or large house is like this, but it is at least somewhat representative of American materialism.
What is unreasonable about being competitive when your friend at work beats you to the best deal on the block? How does that show anything about the motivation to buy the home or this perceived 'insecurity'? I would say it's an unreasonable assumption to make about your coworkers.

Certainly there are people out there who buy cars or houses to impress, does that say anything about the cars or houses?? No...no it does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
You can't honestly compare racist terms about actual people with material objects like a house. One is a thing/style with material qualities; another is in regard to superficial qualities that are backed by thoughts/feelings/etc. Apples to bowling balls.
i'm comparing the faulty logic of using a slang term to suggest something is true simply because of the existence of the slang term

Old 10-26-2012, 04:31 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,878,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
i'm comparing the logic of using a slang term to suggest something is true simply because of the existence of the slang term
They aren't comparable, that's the point. People and material objects are a world apart.

You're free to love McMansions, but I still think they're ugly and cheesy. It's nothing personal; I don't expect everyone to like bungalows.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
What is unreasonable about being competitive when your friend at work beats you to the best deal on the block? How does that show anything about the motivation to buy the home or this perceived 'insecurity'? I would say it's an unreasonable assumption to make about your coworkers.
I just find it in poor taste and shallow to boast about who's property or house is larger. The quality of the person is why I attended dinner, not to see who has the bigger house; I find that to be characteristic of insecurity IME.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
They aren't comparable, that's the point. People and material objects are a world apart.

You're free to love McMansions, but I still think they're ugly and cheesy. It's nothing personal; I don't expect everyone to like bungalows.
What do you mean they aren't comparable? are you missing my point? I'm comparing any two slang words that exist whether they be about animal , vegetable, or mineral, take your pick and insert them into the statement and my point stands.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:40 PM

Quote:
I just find it in poor taste and shallow to boast about who's property or house is larger. The quality of the person is why I attended dinner, not to see who has the bigger house; I find that to be characteristic of insecurity IME.
No actually that is a characteristic of the competitive tendencies of the human male, if you think that gender is all around insecure than that's another matter entirely. Do you feel the same way when they are boasting about their sports teams?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
What do you mean they aren't comparable? are you missing my point? I'm comparing any two slang words that exist whether they be about animal , vegetable, or mineral, take your pick and insert them into the statement and my point stands.
No, you're missing my point. Point being that although the concept is similar on the surface, the reality is too far apart to compare. I mean that people have feelings and thoughts, and McMansions are piles of lumber on a half acre.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
No actually that is a characteristic of the competitive tendencies of the human male, if you think that gender is all around insecure than that's another matter entirely. Do you feel the same way when they are boasting about their sports teams?
Sports teams are not reflective of a personal nature, incomes and homes are. The quality of the people and the social nature of the family (laughing, happiness, kindness, memories, etc.) is what makes a home, not the size of the house or the gloating over who's cathedral ceilings are higher. It's sad that anyone thinks otherwise.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:54 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
It's barely an assumption that McMansions represent imitations of wealth (Hence the "Mc"). It is truly specious to guess that someone is envious, however.
I don't agree with your assumption at all.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
No actually that is a characteristic of the competitive tendencies of the human male, if you think that gender is all around insecure than that's another matter entirely.
Meh not really. Anyone who tries to show off conversationally that my house is bigger than your house would come across to me as shallow, possibly annoying and just too materialistic for my comfort.

Reminds me a bit of:

Conspicuous Consumption: What's the cheapest car I can drive to look like a rich jerk while not actually spending so much? - Quora
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning