Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 07:08 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'd say the ranking for me goes:

1.) Walking
2.) Public Transportation
3.) Driving

If I was more into cycling it would probably go in as my #2. Unfortunately I don't have a bike or much room to store one.

I don't hate driving at all, actually find it kind of fun and novel now that I only drive about once every two weeks. I find having a car in Hollywood a nice luxury and not too cost-prohibitive as opposed to a place like Manhattan - a dedicated parking space is still pretty expensive at my apartment building though. In Boston I didn't have a car and it wasn't a big deal because the transportation is far above average but there were a lot of things that became extremely difficult or impossible without a car.
Yes, that's one of the problems --- like getting groceries, or going to Target, or going to the plant nursery, or dropping off recycling, or returning a heavy stack of library books, or taking your pet to the vet, going to the beach, basically everything is difficult or impossible with public transportation except just taking yourself somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
...., the USA has chosen cars to be their radical muslim. ....... cars are our religion and jihad on the planet.
AUTO AKBAR!!!!!!!

http://www.corvetteforum.com/2009_ch...1_burnout1.jpg

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/ima...-V_burnout.JPG

http://i658.photobucket.com/albums/u...an-burnout.jpg

Last edited by nei; 10-27-2012 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
As someone who doesn't even have the choice of driving, it's public transportation for me!

I don't hate cars, (I'm actually a classic car nut) but I do hate that so much of our country has been built in a way that requires a car to live comfortably.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:40 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I much prefer public transportation over driving. Actually I prefer walking if possible.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Driving is best. You can carry more, with less effort. The weather doesn't affect you much. No waiting at a bus stop or train or subway station (all often loud and urine scented). You don't have to deal with all the other people on public transportation, yakking on their cell phones and playing their music so loud they're annoying even though they're using headphones. You don't have to stand up for long periods on a moving vehicle. There's not always someone with their hand out looking for money (whether it be conductor or beggar). No one demands to search your bag when you get into your car. If stuff gets backed up, you can often try an alternate route. You go from where you are directly to your destination, no circuitous routes or long stops.

Worst part of driving? Parking. It doesn't make up for all the good parts, though.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:24 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,518,729 times
I'd love to be able to ditch the cars and only use PT. unfortunately it's just not practical here (Ive had periods of carlessness). Its One of the reasons we may move elsewhere. Driving makes me insane, I'd rather be reading or biking.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:43 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Living in a very rural area as I do, you have no choice but to drive. I'm OK with that since this is my strong preference anyway. Even when I lived in an area that had some type of public transit, I still drove. I'm not into mass transit, like taking a direct route to where I'm going and like the privacy my own 4 wheels gives me. Always have been like that and always will be.

But I'm also a person who enjoys driving and tinkering with motor vehicles.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:20 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
If it goes when and where I want, commuter trains. Buses less so. Both offer you the time to do as you want, not concentrate on driving. Often less expensive. Obviously not so good for carrying around stuff. Like many I prefer the bicycle for short trips (under 8 km). As for why the highways are jammed even in cities with good public transport, some actually prefer driving, many are passing through, going downtown for a meeting, or will be staying late after the rush hour.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:40 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Which do u prefer and why?

Also with cities like Chicago NY San Fran Philly Boston etc why are there so many cars on the highways in these cities that have dense walkable nieghborshoods and excellent public transportation?
Public transportation, no question. Actually, I much prefer walking, with public transportation a distant second. We don't own a car, and I'd like to avoid it, if possible; we might eventually do car-share program. Being able to walk places is a top priority for us when we choose where to live. Unfortunately now (recently moved -- long story) we're stuck somewhere less convenient on that front, but when we do move we'll be back to somewhere where everything we need is within easy walking distance! Right now I have to walk up to a mile to a grocery store or the library, and that's a major hassle. (hauling it is not a problem; that's what carts or backpacks are for! But it's inconvenient to have stuff so far away.)

As far as dense city neighborhoods with lots of traffic, lots of people means that a lot of people are going to have cars. Even in NYC a lot of people own cars. Of course a lot of people don't, as well. And of course there are people coming in from outside of the city who may also, for whatever reason, choose to do it via car.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:39 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
If I had to choose one, I would choose the automobile. With a car, I can leave when I want, drive how I want, and go wherever I want. Cars also have the advantage of being completely under my control and not being dependent on any outside entity. When I'm in the mood to explore an area, go on a quick trip, or when I feel up to driving as a stimulating activity (which it often is), I strongly prefer a car. If I want to go just to a certain destination, if I don't feel like driving, if I want to do something other than driving on my way, or if I just want to enjoy a train trip, I would prefer going by high-speed rail. If I wanted to explore a downtown or just go around a city, in certain situations I would going by subway.

I actually don't have a problem with any transportation option as long as it fits my schedule and gets me where I want to go quickly and efficiently. The only transit option that I hate is walking around in an urban area to get to my destination, because it is slow and inefficient. Not only is it very slow, I also have to mingle with the masses of riff-raff who I don't care for, and at that speed it takes too long to get out of undesirable or otherwise disliked areas. Suburbs and rural areas don't suffer from the undesirability problem, but distances are so large that walking is impractical there too. Although I don't really hate them, I don't like buses, because they have all the disadvantages of subways and rail, and if I wanted to go via the road system I might as well take my car, so from my perspective bus travel would be pointless. I acknowledge that it is a good option for those who don't own a car, but fortunately I am not in that group.

What we really need are more options. Subways, roads, and high-speed rail should all be options for every city or region, and they all need to be well-maintained. Unfortunately, current transportation systems fail on all of these counts. Most of Europe actually has both high-speed rail that is well-maintained and well-maintained road and freeway systems. Germany is the exemplar of what I'm talking about. Too often the debate focus on building one or the other: top-grade freeways or mass transit. Why not have both? Surely the transportation system would be more efficient if both were available as options. Europeans must be laughing their heads off at the debate Americans are having today.

In the end I agree with the sentiment expressed by some others here - that I like both cars and mass transit, and both fill a niche in my life, or at least fill it when I live in a place that has mass transit. I love cars and all the associated benefits, but I'm also a big fan of subways in particular - the way they plunge into the depths taking you right to the heart of the city is cool. I believe that automobiles and a top-grade road system is essential, and transportation by car is quite desirable. I also do not approve of places like Los Angeles where mass transit is limited and cars are required for the most basic of tasks. That produces undesirable results, and both are required if you want to have the best transportation system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning