Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 10:07 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
Public transportation, no question. Actually, I much prefer walking, with public transportation a distant second. We don't own a car, and I'd like to avoid it, if possible; we might eventually do car-share program. Being able to walk places is a top priority for us when we choose where to live. Unfortunately now (recently moved -- long story) we're stuck somewhere less convenient on that front, but when we do move we'll be back to somewhere where everything we need is within easy walking distance! Right now I have to walk up to a mile to a grocery store or the library, and that's a major hassle. (hauling it is not a problem; that's what carts or backpacks are for! But it's inconvenient to have stuff so far away.)
That's funny because I live about a mile from groceries, library, pharmacy --- and I consider them close. Not for carrying a pile of stuff --- if I'm walking I'll only carry what I can hold comfortably.

That's a 15 minute walk. Just right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2012, 11:30 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
If you look carefully, you can see signs that the markets are offering some answers to a problem which really became apparent for the first time when gasoline began to flirt with the $3/gallon price after Katrina.

Here's Exhibit 'A':

www.routefriend.com

Access to a "set of wheels" has been an issue for student-age people since well before I was a Penn State junior getting around in a 1962 Chrysler Newport, but the combination of higher fuel prices, insurance worries and the growing number of older adults like myself, who know that a car is essential for getting around locally, but can be very expensive if you travel longer distances solo, are combining to help cobble together a more-workable surface-transportation network.

At this point, it's important to keep the expectations realistic --- that shiny High Speed Rail network that Barry-O and his WonderPets promised us four years ago simply is not attainable for many years to come -- if at all. And a play for more bicycle use by a junior member set off a firestorm of a thread a few weeks ago.

The idiotic American car-centric culture

But the conventional technology is there; restoring urban transit systems to the level of service we had when I was growing up in the Sixties would not be too expensive, and the rest should be left up to the free interplay of supply and demand.

For the first time in a century, time is not completely on the side if the private auto.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-27-2012 at 11:50 PM..

Old 10-27-2012, 11:50 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
If you look carefully, you can see signs that the markets are offering some answers to a problem which really became apparent for the first time when gasoline began to flirt with the $3/gallon price after Katrina.

Here's Exhibit 'A':

www.routefriend.com

Access to a "set of wheels" has been an issue for student-age people since well before I was a Penn State junior getting around in a 1962 Chrysler Newport, but the combination of higher fuel prices, insurance worries and the growing number of older adults like myself, who know that a car is essential for getting around locally, but can be very expensive if you travel longer distances solo, are combining to help cobble together a more-workable surface-transportation network.

At this point, it's important to keep the expectations realistic --- that shiny High Speed Rail network that Barry-O and his WonderPets promised us four years ago simply is not attainable for many years to come -- if at all. And a play for more bicycle use by a junior member set off a firestorm of a thread a few weeks ago.

The idiotic American car-centric culture

But the conventional technology is there; restoring urban transit systems to the level of service we had when I was growing up in the Sixties would not be too expensive, and the rest should be left up to the free interplay of supply and demand.

For the first time in a century, time is not completely on the side if the private auto.
Why was there a 'firestorm' of a thread over bicycle use?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:55 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why was there a 'firestorm' of a thread over bicycle use?
Sorry -- I had to finish typing before posting the link; but I think you'll get the picture.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
In the end I agree with the sentiment expressed by some others here - that I like both cars and mass transit, and both fill a niche in my life, or at least fill it when I live in a place that has mass transit. I love cars and all the associated benefits, but I'm also a big fan of subways in particular
Good point -- why should this be an "either/or" question?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good point -- why should this be an "either/or" question?
In my experience with these discussions, it's usually the pro-car folks who feel as if they are being forced out of their cars, and into public transportation.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:36 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,371 times
I prefer my bicycle first. I live in downtown Phoenix and can get anywhere I need to in under 10 minutes on my bike. After that I would go with public transit (even though Phoenix public transport sucks) and last would be the good ol' automobile.

Old 10-28-2012, 05:14 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
That's funny because I live about a mile from groceries, library, pharmacy --- and I consider them close. Not for carrying a pile of stuff --- if I'm walking I'll only carry what I can hold comfortably.

That's a 15 minute walk. Just right.
I think what it is, for me, is that it requires some advance planning -- there's no running out at the last minute for something I need at the pharmacy or the grocery store, as it's a 30 minute round-trip (plus shopping time) shopping run. I think the problem is that I got spoiled living in more urban environments where I could get all the basics within two blocks!

Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,589,417 times
I like using public transport as well as having a car. PT is pretty good here for getting into the CBD or other inner/middle suburban regional centres without the stress/cost of driving but I also like the freedom of being able to use the car and be able to go somewhere on a whim.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:38 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,640,686 times
I prefer driving but driving can be annoying when sharing the road with people who shouldn't be driving. I do like for public transportation to be available though.

I would take walking over both car and PT if possible. The area has to been accessible to walking. I should not be walking on grass or a dirt path along the side of a road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning