Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 12:57 PM

389 posts, read 470,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Really? I've never seen anyone water their lawns anywhere I've lived. Not even during drought years.

I guess we're all smarter -- or exhibit more pronounced cheapskate tendencies -- than the "vast majority of households."

Assumptions are dangerous things, Grasshopper.
You've seriously never seen people water their lawns? Wow lol, it is basically a must here to keep a green lawn.

Last year was an ugly year here, no matter the water there was a lot of brown lawns, first time in my life things were like that, even places like lowes or home depot had brown grass. Didn't rain much until autumn.

Even on a good raining year people water their lawns at least once a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 01:31 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,620 times
If grass were outlawed or something Id put in a pool and paved entertainment area for the back, and the front I would want to make into a decorative path and gardens.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
If water restrictions/prices made having a lawn unworkable - would you still want the same sized lot? Just curious for those who are married to the quarter acre lot. If so, what would you do with the lot instead? If not, would you consider ditching the SF detached altogether or just downsize a little (lot not home).

Notice - those of you in the Eastern third of the country likely will never have to face this question - those of you in the mountain west likely already have faced it and made decision. This is more for the middle third of the country who are in semi-arid lands and living in communities that may face decisions as to allocation of limited water resources now or in the near future.
I have 5500SF lot with a small patch of lawn in the front yard (about 20x20) and dirt in the back yard. The plan, assuming I stay here, is to install drought tolerant landscaping.

[or fake grass]

Old 01-24-2013, 07:46 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You need to get out more.

Some of my parent's neighbors had automatic sprinklers that went off while it was raining. I saw one go off 6 hours before Tropical Storm Irene approached. My parents water their lawn but off and on.
You can actually shut off the timer on an automatic sprinkler system. That's what we do on the rare occasions where it rains enough not to have to water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Well, I don't think it is necessary to water lawns in most of Iowa or Missouri. I think the mid point of the US is in Kansas somewhere. I had friends that lived in KC that didn't water their lawns either. Maybe i don't understand why he excluded only the eastern 1/3...people obviously do water in these areas, but it isn't necessary.
100th meridian is the dividing point between the arid west and the humid east. Cozad, Nebraska, baby!
Cozad, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm not really part of your target group, because I have a small urban lot, and don't need to water. But, I do like having a yard for planting things. I don't care about lawn/grass, though.

I've seen examples of terrace gardening, and that doesn't have the same appeal for me. So, that's one reason I wouldn't be interested in condo/apartment living.

If I lived somewhere where watering was necessary for growing a standard lawn, I'd look into xeriscaping.
Xeriscaping has to be watered until it is established.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
My lawn's got big patches of crabgrass and dead spots anyway; fortunately my neighborhood doesn't follow the stereotype of the "perfect lawn" suburb.

If I couldn't have a lawn I'd want a yard with racetrack for RC cars and an RC helicopter landing pad, but I'm not sure my wife would go for it :-)

Old 01-24-2013, 09:38 PM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
I've got almost nine acres and no grass to mow!

The shrubbery has to fend for itself if it doesn't rain.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,481,533 times
Me personally, I only own a house because const. is so bad in the US when it comes to privacy and sound pollution. Give me a well built 2br 2 bath made from concrete that doesn't cost $500k in Denver metro and I am there. I don't care for mowing the lawn or pulling weeds. It's just a buffer space.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:06 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I am not sure but sounds like the Op has traveled much to areas that get little rain fall. Most of these areas do not have lawns as most know them. hey mostly have other grown cover that needs little watering. tose that are rich perhaps do water but its very expensive. Even here we do not use public water to water in summer when there is little arin fall some years /We use well water. Were i live people ahve lots between /12 acre and ten acres. mine is one acre and its been thsi way since I can remember ;really.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,516,151 times
I did replace much of my front lawn with a decorative garden and veggies in the back. The veggies take a lot of water to make happen. I like nybbler's RC car racetrack idea. I can mow my whole property in about 15 minutes with a reel mower but I still can't stand doing it.

I thought I'd love having a yard, but I'd gladly give it up.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
If I couldn't have a lawn I'd want a yard with racetrack for RC cars and an RC helicopter landing pad, but I'm not sure my wife would go for it :-)
Ooooh, I'm surprised my late spouse didn't think adding those features to our lawn. LOL. He didn't want me to plant trees in the side yard because they would ruin his fairway. I told him the trees would add to the challenge, but no ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning