Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 04:25 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times

Advertisements

More walking would ease the burden of oil dependency and medical costs. Obviously (tongue firmly in cheek) the public infrastructure being set up to discourage walking is due to campaign contributions from the oil interests and the Medical-Industrial Complex.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:48 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,341 times
US on fast track to energy independence:

US Is on Fast-Track to Energy Independence: Study

U.S. oil and gas production is evolving so rapidly—and demand is dropping so quickly—that in just five years the U.S. could no longer need to buy oil from any source but Canada, according to Citigroup's global head of commodities research.

Citigroup's Edward Morse, in a new report, projects a dramatic reshaping of the global energy industry, where the U.S., in a matter of years, becomes an exporter of energy, instead of one of the biggest importers.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:43 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
US on fast track to energy independence:

US Is on Fast-Track to Energy Independence: Study

U.S. oil and gas production is evolving so rapidly—and demand is dropping so quickly—that in just five years the U.S. could no longer need to buy oil from any source but Canada, according to Citigroup's global head of commodities research.

Citigroup's Edward Morse, in a new report, projects a dramatic reshaping of the global energy industry, where the U.S., in a matter of years, becomes an exporter of energy, instead of one of the biggest importers.
Haha. Glad to see the author of that chart took Misleaging Graphs 101. Yikes.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM

229 posts, read 293,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
Car centered culture has not been forced upon you. You have every right to live in an urban, walk-able, area just as much as others have a right to live in a suburban car centered area.
How am I supposed to live without a car in this day and age? You graduate from school, time to live on your own but where do you live? Chicago is the only somewhat walkable city in my entire state AND possibly one of the few in the entire midwest! But it won't be walkable soon... So many many buildings have been torn down and replaced with parking lots, sprawling shopping malls, or just plain "glass buildings" who serve no community function. Seriously, walk-ability in Chicago and possibly in many cities is shrinking... If you want an urban horror story, look into Buffalo, NY. Once one of the greatest cities in the world, now it's nothing.

So where do I go? NYC? SF? Both cost a million dollars. Why? Because we don't build cities anymore. Whatever's left over, that's all there will ever be so you have a million people competing for that urban lifestyle that's becoming rare in this country.

So what will happen? A lack of alternatives forces people to settle. Most of the people I know are not happy where they live and they HATE DRIVING eventually and they would much rather live in nice clean urban city. Too bad all of our mortgages are under water and the current state of our cities is pathetic.

Conspiracy? Banks ARE benefiting from this wasteful suburban model. Local governments are benefiting from this model. Chain stores, oil companies, every imaginable business that's dependent on excessive consumerism(mhm debt...) LOVES suburbs! What kind of people can you fit in one of those carbon copy suburbs with identical 250K houses and a credit score of > 700? Those kind. Schools are good, crime is nearly zero wow suburbs are so safe and schools are so good! Cities suck! As if urban planning had anything to do with people's behavior...

So where should I live?

Old 02-15-2013, 04:10 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
More walking would ease the burden of oil dependency and medical costs. Obviously (tongue firmly in cheek) the public infrastructure being set up to discourage walking is due to campaign contributions from the oil interests and the Medical-Industrial Complex.
What pure hokum!! This sort of fantasizing makes Jowe McCarthy ad the Birchers (Sons of Birchers?) seem tame by comparison.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:05 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
ImA, there are often walkable neighborhoods in small/medium sized cities.

I could point you to a few in my very car-centric city. I have or have had renters who do without a car and manage to keep down jobs, pay the bills, etc.

If you have some job opportunities, people on that city's forum will be glad to help direct you to good neighborhoods. But if you expect the ENTIRE city to be transit friendly you will be disappointed.

Just PLEASE do not go in with a chip on your shoulder or being preachy. Participants here are helping you for free - it is not polite to insult their lifestyle.

P.S. You might consider Philadelphia. Very urban but not too expensive.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:28 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
What pure hokum!! This sort of fantasizing makes Jowe McCarthy ad the Birchers (Sons of Birchers?) seem tame by comparison.
You didn't read my parenthetical remark! As if I claimed that many computer viruses were written by antivirus companies.

Last edited by pvande55; 02-15-2013 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Add note

Old 02-15-2013, 07:57 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
You didn't read my parenthetical remark! As if I claimed that many computer viruses were written by antivirus companies.
I read your "parenthetical red herring" for what it was -- an attempt to work both sides of the street and snare the more simplistic with a conspiracy theory.

You might not be drinking Al Gore's cherry Kool-Aid straight -- but there are many out there who are; and those are the people you're trawling for.

A simplistic falsehood has a thousend versions -- empirical scientific and ecomomic fact needs only hold its ground to be proven in the long run.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkarch View Post
Haha. Glad to see the author of that chart took Misleaging Graphs 101. Yikes.
Exactly.
It took me almost a minute to understand there's still a 7-8 million bpd day gap - ie Net Oil Imports.
And the Headline is also very misleading: The US is not going to get away from importing Oil.

The amazing thing, is how high Oil prices have stayed while net imports have fallen. That's probably because BRIC countries have picked up the slack in the market.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:20 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,103,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
ImA, there are often walkable neighborhoods in small/medium sized cities.

I could point you to a few in my very car-centric city. I have or have had renters who do without a car and manage to keep down jobs, pay the bills, etc.
This is interesting to me / see: Living without a Car : Is it possible? ... in NC/SC
Especially if they have good Rail connections.

Any suggestions?

I also want to escape from the other 3X Cash drains:
====
+ Excess military spending (so seeking areas without too many bases)
+ Excessive spending on healthcare and esp. Big Pharma drugs (stay healthy, use natural remedies)
+ Excessive predatory behavior by banks (stay out of debt, manage my own money)

So they ease of doing these things will also matter to me in a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning