Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:45 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Also, I hoped you noted at least in the stories I've read, the people who are leaving suburbia for the city are overwhelmingly upper class, empty nesters who are generally older (60+) and retired.
perhaps you aren't clued into the millennials yet. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 11:09 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I'm thinking about "fleeing" the suburb I live in now to live in another suburb closer to the suburb I work in.
Kinda like the one couple in the news video who was moving from one suburb to another. Moving to a brand new suburban housing development, too, no less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And "fleeing" just sounds so much more pathetic than say, "saying farewell".
LMAO -- I have a vision of people running down the streets, suitcases in hand, while their suburban homes fold in on themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
Young adults have always wanted to live in the city. Perhaps you weren't clued into the last lines of the news report you posted, where the reporter quoted "experts" who suggested the uptick in urban living may be tied to declining birth and marriage rates.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:24 AM

45,396 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:

Who, as every story/study indicates have generally not started families yet. These same stories/studies are declining to make any prediction whatsoever on what will happen when these millenials are faced with having children go to school.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:28 AM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times
When I was in my twenties, everyone wanted to be in the city also. Then they had kids, and moved out to the 'burbs

Quote:

Old 08-11-2013, 11:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
When I was in my twenties, everyone wanted to be in the city also. Then they had kids, and moved out to the 'burbs
I've been trying to tell 'em that!

Old 08-11-2013, 04:07 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I've been trying to tell 'em that!
Me too, to everyone who will listen (which amounts to one standard choir :-) ). It'll be less than some previous generations, because of the lack of riots/hellish crime/white flight, but it's still going to happen.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times
That's why people try. It's safer than it used to be. The flip side is that city living (at least New York City living), has gotten MUCH more expensive, especially per square foot. Like it or not, kids need more square feet then non-parents (or pre-parents) think.

Then there are the school issues. The public schools in the burbs tend to be better on average. In NYC, with some notable and difficult to access exceptions, the public schools are not as good as most of the suburban districts. So when the kid needs to go to school, the parents face some difficult and expensive choices, which get much simpler if they just move to a burb with a good school system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Me too, to everyone who will listen (which amounts to one standard choir :-) ). It'll be less than some previous generations, because of the lack of riots/hellish crime/white flight, but it's still going to happen.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:48 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
I don't get this notion that you can't have space in urban areas.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:59 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,227 times
Having children is much less universal than it was years ago. I do think city life is viewed as desirable by more people than ten or twenty years ago, but, again, it's limited to specific neighborhoods, and, even then, it's not for everybody. Plenty of people still prefer the yard and the white picket fence. It seems to me that in big cities, suburbia doesn't work well. It's much too crowded and congested when everybody is fighting for their own quarter acre lot. Suburbia works better in medium sized cities.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Time for a re-post:

Adams County drawing residents from across the metro area - The Denver Post

Adams County drew a net 5,395 residents a year from other metro Denver counties between 2006 and 2010, the survey estimates. Douglas County was next, with metro net migration of 1,623 a year, followed by Arapahoe with 1,330.

At the other extreme were Boulder, which lost a net 1,336 residents a year, and Denver, which shed a net 8,946 residents a year to other metro counties.

Lots more in this article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning