Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should public transportation be free?
Yes 21 20.19%
No 69 66.35%
That depends on what form of transportation 14 13.46%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 12:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Geek18 View Post
Depends, in Orlando, the LYNX bus sytsem has a free circulator around the downtown business district. That should be free. SunRail, our commuter rail system had 2 free weeks of free service during its first 2 weeks of service this past spring. Because it is the first "train" in orlando, families and joyriders would take it from end to end while people taking it for work (the way its intended) had no room and there were major delays of the system because of these joyriders. The fares help cut back on the amount of joyriders.
There is a free shuttle on the 16th St. Mall in Denver, but that is only 1.4 miles. It also connects to some Light Rail stations. LR is NOT free.
RTD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 12:09 PM

1,387 posts, read 1,189,310 times
Yes, it should be free. Everything should be free and open for everyone. Patent law should be replaced by GPL 2.0.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:35 PM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Definitely not. During the short time the seniors ride free law in Illinois applied to all seniors(boo to Blagojevich even signing that into law in the first place!), the CTA and other public transit providers lost a lot of fare revenue money because of this issue. It was thankfully finally amended a few years ago, to reduce this benefit to just low income seniors, and that all others have to pay half fare when riding public transit.

I don't think providing free fare transit for all riders would be sustainable, for any public transit providers to do. If public transit providers want to provide limited free shuttles(or one of 2 free bus routes), I'm not against that.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:46 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,211,423 times
Not free, but well connected and efficient for metro area residents. I don't own a car at my current location, and cant really go that far with public transit . Atlanta is expanding though, and I hope commuter rail to Athens comes soon.

Old 09-14-2014, 02:50 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,879,783 times
Quote:
well people who dont drive pay for roads
People who do not drive are greatly benefited by roads though. Emergency vehicles travel on them, shipments come by truck to the stores where they shop, etc. Road use in one form or another is pretty necessary for the functioning of the modern world. Public transportation is not.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:17 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
we live in a generation that has been taught to expect everything for free.
its a pity that it is fleeting.
This sadly may be true. I am a Senior Citizen who has used public transportation in three different cities all my life because I have never driven a car. I have always paid my way.

How else can any private or public entity afford to keep a public transportation system running? I wonder how the OP would propose the cost services given by public transportation be paid for if they were free? Gas, upkeep of vehicles and all other equipment involved costs money. Who would pay for those things?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:21 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,454,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well people who dont drive pay for roads etc.

not sure the best route and to me PT should not be free in the first place Like all forms of infrastructure it gets paid for one way or another. To me PT should have in general regardless
You mean all those taxes I have been paying for road upkeep all these years have been a big mistake?

Where do I go for my refund?

Old 09-14-2014, 03:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This sadly may be true. I am a Senior Citizen who has used public transportation in three different cities all my life because I have never driven a car. I have always paid my way.

How else can any private or public entity afford to keep a public transportation system running? I wonder how the OP would propose the cost services given by public transportation be paid for if they were free? Gas, upkeep of vehicles and all other equipment involved costs money. Who would pay for those things?
The taxpayers. But that won't work if the taxpayers have to vote for every tax increase and they turn the "free transportation tax" down at the polls.

Old 09-14-2014, 03:36 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,884,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No. In Miami we have the Metromover which is free, and the issue is the homeless people want to hop on it and sleep or hang out. Security has to boot them off when they catch them.
Homeless people do this in the NYC subways too despite the $2.38 fee. Nominal fees aren't enough of a disincentive.

Old 09-14-2014, 04:03 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
People who do not drive are greatly benefited by roads though. Emergency vehicles travel on them, shipments come by truck to the stores where they shop, etc. Road use in one form or another is pretty necessary for the functioning of the modern world. Public transportation is not.
People who do not take public transportation are greatly benefited by it though. Less traffic congestion, less pollution, and less health care costs (cities with extensive public transit have significantly lower obesity rates).

Quote:

Irrelevant. Public transit isn't a market; it is infrastructure. The residuals of public transit far outweigh the operating costs. The OP's proposal is to just completely fund public transit out of the general fund.

Quote:
You mean all those taxes I have been paying for road upkeep all these years have been a big mistake?

Where do I go for my refund?
All the taxes you pay for road keep never paid the entire costs. Driving is highly subsidized (to the tune of roughly 50%). It is also a net drain on society with low residuals compared to public transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning