Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:49 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?

How It Begins: Renaming a Neighborhood | LA EASTSIDE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 01:58 PM

5,509 posts, read 9,490,296 times
There was a mini-debate in the Cleveland forum, earlier this summer, about an area that is now being called--by some--Hinge Town. Hingetown - part of the Ohio City neighborhood

It was already part of the Ohio City neighborhood, but wasn't part of the "cool" section of Ohio City. So, these real estate/marketing people created this name to give the area some cache.

Old 09-25-2014, 02:46 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,866,909 times
This video sums it up quite perfectly:
Columbusing: Discovering Things for White People - CollegeHumor Video

It is like a new sport here in Oakland.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:00 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
West Hollywood is an actual municipality. You either live it or you don't although I guess you could be in the City of LA and still have a West Hollywood zip code/mailing address.

From the article it's difficult to tell what position the author is actually taking because s/he says that it's a place without a distinct identity (it has several different names) but it's bad because someone who lives there is trying to market a distinct identity for the place.

It's not like people are trying to rename a place with a strong identity here. Places need names and identities. It's how you get attention and resources from your city government.

Also, "discover" doesn't mean what you're trying to make it mean:

dis·cov·er
disˈkəvər
verb
find (something or someone) unexpectedly or in the course of a search.
"firemen discovered a body in the debris"
synonyms: find, locate, come across/upon, stumble on, chance on, light on, bring to light, uncover, unearth, turn up; track down

Old 09-26-2014, 08:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
The renaming of a "district: or neighborhood is very common as a marketing tool for real estate, or to try and escape negativity when gentrification takes place. It also happens to the names of towns. I remember in 1993 when an unincorporated town in California called "West Pittsburg" (pop. about 20,000) was beginning to experience growth with several new home developments, and the name was changed to Bay Point. A much more marketable name and also avoided the negative connotations of nearby blue collar industrial city Pittsburg. In Michigan, the affluent suburb city of East Detroit was changed to Eastpointe, in 1992. I suppose the change from Pig's Eye to St. Paul Minnesota was for more obvious reasons in the mid 1800s.

Old 09-26-2014, 12:35 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Hunter S. Thompson proposed to change Aspen's name to "Fat City" in hope it would discourage growth and gentrifiers.

The Battle of Aspen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2014, 12:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
District and neighborhood names typically come from real estate investments. There isn't a point in time where we decided no new neighborhood names can be created. As residents change and areas' identities change, there will always be someone trying to sell it as the "next new thing."

I think it is okay for districts and neighborhoods reflect the people who occupy it. Of course while I say this, I have seen some bad attempts at renaming areas, but I have also seen good attempts at renaming areas.

Old 09-26-2014, 03:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Hunter S. Thompson proposed to change Aspen's name to "Fat City" in hope it would discourage growth and gentrifiers.

The Battle of Aspen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yeah, after he moved there. There are a lot of people in Colorado like that, especially in Boulder.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:07 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,125,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I think it is okay for districts and neighborhoods reflect the people who occupy it. Of course while I say this, I have seen some bad attempts at renaming areas, but I have also seen good attempts at renaming areas.
There's a neighborhood in Philly that most people now call "Olde Kensington" - it was part of the Kensington Borough before consolidation (back in 1854) and is just north of Northern Liberties and just west of Fishtown.

10-12 years ago enough people were calling it JuNoGi for "Just North of Girard" that it garnered a few articles. It's the dumbest neighborhood name I've heard yet and thankfully, most other people also thought it was dumb.

But there are amorphous parts of South Philly that have only started to take on distinct identities in the last decade (or less) - and in some cases there was a lot of angst around the new names. Passyunk Square, East Passyunk Crossing (EPX), Lower Moyamensing (LoMo), West Passyunk, Newbold, etc all brought about some drama - some more than others.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yeah, after he moved there. There are a lot of people in Colorado like that, especially in Boulder.
He was hoping it dissuade a particular type of movers-in, maybe the more moneyed sort.

This would prevent greedheads, land-rapers and other human jackals from capitalizing on the name 'Aspen'.... These swine should be ****, broken, and driven across the land."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning