Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2017, 03:23 PM

491 posts, read 474,407 times

Advertisements

People are moving into gentrified neighborhoods because they want to be closer to the city. Also, what does it matter what people do in a neighborhood. I personally like gentrification. If people are buying up properties and actually investing money into building new buildings in run-down areas, then that's a good thing. They're paying for it. If people really want to establish a community, they have to buy the properties and build it up. In many of these neighborhoods, no families have bought the land, so that's why the gentrified areas are simply being put to use after years of nobody owning the land, except for landlords and the city. It's much better to give it to families that want to own a home, then a bunch of landlords that are just renting out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2017, 04:01 PM

178 posts, read 173,960 times
Its not just the Cities.
I live in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming and operate a kind of noisy grain mill from time to time during the summer and fall. I had absolutely no neighbors untill 2 couples from California bought a 100 acres near me and split it into 2 lots and built 2 Mc Mansions on the lots. We got along ok untill fall came and the Mills started going. Then all they did was complain because they could hear the slight noise from the mills. They have sued me twice....
They build their houses on the top of some hills and have had some damage from wild fires and wind and blame everyone but themselves for their problems. They constantly go to the county meetings and demand that we institute a real fire department (We have volunteer today) to protect their house and they want real paramedics because they are old and when they call 911 no one answers in the middle of the night because the it is also voluntary and the guy was asleep. All they do is complain and want things that they want others to pay for....

Old 04-16-2017, 11:16 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Its not just the Cities.
I live in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming and operate a kind of noisy grain mill from time to time during the summer and fall. I had absolutely no neighbors untill 2 couples from California bought a 100 acres near me and split it into 2 lots and built 2 Mc Mansions on the lots. We got along ok untill fall came and the Mills started going. Then all they did was complain because they could hear the slight noise from the mills. They have sued me twice....
They build their houses on the top of some hills and have had some damage from wild fires and wind and blame everyone but themselves for their problems. They constantly go to the county meetings and demand that we institute a real fire department (We have volunteer today) to protect their house and they want real paramedics because they are old and when they call 911 no one answers in the middle of the night because the it is also voluntary and the guy was asleep. All they do is complain and want things that they want others to pay for....
I must have heard this story 1,000 times. Build down the road from a pig farm, and when the wind blows the wrong way, it isn't going to smell like gardenias. Flies! There are flies! Really?

What did they expect? They expected city amenities out in the country. They're clueless.

In a couple of places where I've lived, there was a junior firefighters group. They helped out at the station and did things like wash the trucks and learn how to use them. They knew CPR and first aid. When my husband tripped (on his own foot) and fell down the stairs, the first responder was the the girl from up the road. While I was hyperventilating and crying, she checked his pulse and breathing. I knew how to do that, but was too distraught to do anything.

OP, I don't know anyone who welcomes noise. The neighbor can sit on my stoop, and anyone else is just looking for... Go and sit on your own stoop. If that's "owned" by someone else, find something else. Parking is expensive in many cities. If you want to park your back side on my stoop, pay me.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:20 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
OP, I don't know anyone who welcomes noise. The neighbor can sit on my stoop, and anyone else is just looking for... Go and sit on your own stoop. If that's "owned" by someone else, find something else. Parking is expensive in many cities. If you want to park your back side on my stoop, pay me.
a majority of the time they sit on the stoop of a building they pay rent to live in. they dont sit on other people stopps unless someone from that house/bldg invites them over.

and noise? some dont like it but city living desensitizes many people to noise. cities are generally known to be at least somewhat noisy so its just a given youll hear it.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:24 AM

857 posts, read 1,201,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post
People are moving into gentrified neighborhoods because they want to be closer to the city. Also, what does it matter what people do in a neighborhood. I personally like gentrification. If people are buying up properties and actually investing money into building new buildings in run-down areas, then that's a good thing. They're paying for it. If people really want to establish a community, they have to buy the properties and build it up. In many of these neighborhoods, no families have bought the land, so that's why the gentrified areas are simply being put to use after years of nobody owning the land, except for landlords and the city. It's much better to give it to families that want to own a home, then a bunch of landlords that are just renting out.
thats how you establish ownership but the social aspect thats the heart of a community you dont need to own anything. people establish camraderie in all sorts of places: public housing deprived neighborhoods, combat zones (military), college campuses, etc. you got street gangs who congregate based around a place that they not only not own, but that a parent/guardian pays rent in.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:21 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
thats how you establish ownership but the social aspect thats the heart of a community you dont need to own anything. people establish camraderie in all sorts of places: public housing deprived neighborhoods, combat zones (military), college campuses, etc. you got street gangs who congregate based around a place that they not only not own, but that a parent/guardian pays rent in.
Perhaps, but. . . if most residences are rental and there is constant turnover, it's hard to get and keep a sense of community.

Old 04-23-2017, 09:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clearlevel View Post

What if the people in the rented homes want to own a home?

Old 04-23-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joewy View Post
Its not just the Cities.

Message to invading Californians:

This is WY (TM)

Old 04-23-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Perhaps, but. . . if most residences are rental and there is constant turnover, it's hard to get and keep a sense of community.

Welcome to capitalism.

Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This has been happening where I live. For example one of the most popular areas for newbies is around the Lake - which functions as a park / rec center / everyone's backyard. In the past couple of years it has been nicely renovated and is more popular than ever. Historically it has been home to weekend bbqs, imporomptu concerts, soccer games. You know typical popular stuff.

There is a recurring theme of newcomers calling the cops on the impromptu concerts.
1. These complainers have Lake views and lakefront apartments. So it would have been 100% obvious they might hear noise from the park when they moved in.
2. The park / lake area quiets down when the sunsets and there are just casual walkers and joggers. The bbqs / festivals / concerts are in the day time when they happen. Aka at reasonable hours.

Everyone was really annoyed at these people moving into a vibrant area - likely because of the vibrancy and complaining. Especially when they could have made a different choice if they were concerned with noise. Why live on the main street? There is plenty of inventory on the quiet interior streets, obviously without a lake view. The new people are just whiny brats.

"In and around the Lake, newbies come out of the sky and they stand there" - Yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning