Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The Long island railroad will be making a stop in Grand central station in about 3 years. The 2nd Ave subway line is being built too, but I think that will be about 5 years.
You're a lot more optimistic than MTA. Try 15 years for 2nd Av (just the first phase) and 8-10 yrs for east side access for LIRR. And that's if the
projects don't encounter additional delays along the way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 5,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolshundle View Post
Average weekday CTA 'L' ridership is 630,000.
What the F is "CTA" and "L" ridership????

Also, where are you located? It would be really nice to KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. Ridership at more than half a million is quite high (and to be honest, doubtful unless you are simply lying, which might be the case since you are so vague). So, it would help if you'd be less ambiguous about the statistics that you're quoting which have no source WHATSOEVER.

I apologize if I'm ignorant of the acronyms for your city or the transit system in general but you have to realize you're talking to a BROAD audience here and not someone in in your circle of friends, or someone familiar with your particular city.

Please don't assume that everyone on this forum KNOWS WHAT YOU'RE THINKING or UNDERSTANDS EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU.

Please COMMUNICATE.

Last edited by nightmareb4xmas; 10-14-2009 at 09:23 PM..

Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM

517 posts, read 1,319,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareb4xmas View Post

Also, where are you located? It would be really nice to KNOW WHERE YOU ARE. Ridership at more than half a million is quite high (and to be honest, doubtful unless you are simply lying, which might be the case since you are so vague). So, it would help if you'd be less ambiguous about the statistics that you're quoting which have no source WHATSOEVER.

I apologize if I'm ignorant of the acronyms for your city or the transit system in general but you have to realize you're talking to a BROAD audience here and not someone in in your circle of friends, or someone familiar with your particular city.

Please don't assume that everyone on this forum KNOWS WHAT YOU'RE THINKING or UNDERSTANDS EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU.

Please COMMUNICATE.
CTA is Chicago....if you would of read the whole thread you would of realized that. The poster was clearly responding to the pictures posted by Venom in which they stated CTA was Chicago. Please READ.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
Philadelphia
SEPTA (Southeastern Pennsylvania transit Authority)

Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
Quote:

Please COMMUNICATE.
Haha, this is not something worth having a fit about, but if you're honestly interested in the Chicago Transit Authority "L" ridership, commonly known as "L" because many of the rails are elevated (P.S. Chicago is a large city in the Midwest, state of Illinois, USA ... is that any clearer??) ... here's some reports.
Deprecated Browser Error

in the meantime, you should get over yourself!

Old 10-15-2009, 11:19 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
Haha, this is not something worth having a fit about, but if you're honestly interested in the Chicago Transit Authority "L" ridership, commonly known as "L" because many of the rails are elevated (P.S. Chicago is a large city in the Midwest, state of Illinois, USA ... is that any clearer??) ... here's some reports.
Deprecated Browser Error

in the meantime, you should get over yourself!
We should give him a break...it WAS his second post after all. But really, nightmareb4xmas, you could have done a quick search for CTA and found out the answers to your questions without making a scene about it. Transit system acronyms are commonly used on this site, especially in transit threads.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 10-15-2009 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-15-2009, 11:30 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,439,815 times
Los Angeles County Metrpolitan Transit Authority "Metro", a growing rail system with a LOT of work to go to catch up. Not bad for all being built from 1990-2009.

Red Line/Pink Line Subway: Daily ridership of 158,305

Light Rail: Blue Line (Daily ridership 80,000), Green Line (Daily ridership 40,000), and Gold Line (Daily ridership 24,000)*

*= The Gold Line has a six mile extension into East L.A. opening Nov. 14, adding an expected 15,000-20,000 daily riders. East L.A. has had high bus utilization and needs this line.

Under construction: EXPO Line, from downtown to Culver City by 2011, and to Santa Monica by 2015.

Commuter Rail: Metrolink, Daily ridership 47,000.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:01 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,463,319 times
Quote:

Please COMMUNICATE.
WHOA tHeRe buddy. MOST people here know WHAT the CtA IS. If you are UNFAMILIAR with the cTa, you could take 5 seconds to LOOK IT UP.

RESEARCH THEN COMMUNICATE

Here's a map of the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority) For a more detailed map, click here

And here's a map of the ultimate build-out of the system, which in my opinion would put it on-par with New York City...yes, I am serious.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 10-15-2009 at 12:15 PM..

Old 10-15-2009, 01:20 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Charlotte's system (currently) is only a 9.6 mile "starter" line. It carries nearly 15,000 people per day.

Charlotte Light Rail on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joethephotog/2559193115/ - broken link)

Charlotte Light Rail on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joethephotog/2478881111/in/set-72157621749562044/ - broken link)

Lynx 3rd Street Station, Charlotte on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/2856948467/ - broken link)

Lynx New Bern Station, Charlotte on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/bz3rk/2857779254/ - broken link)

Mid-day Charlotte Light Rail Ridership on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12208406@N03/3017364438/ - broken link)

Old 10-16-2009, 10:03 PM

25 posts, read 63,698 times
I recently read something about the transit system that Detroit used to have (i'm from MI) and how it was bought out from the city by a conglomerate of tire manufacturers (or something like that.) I just tried to look the article back up but couldn't find it, but here's another website I found that looks interesting... DETROIT TRANSIT HISTORY.info: The DSR Years
To go back to the article I referred to earlier, well, supposedly when Detroit was still a huge city back in the 50's they had a pretty nice public transit system but over time as the big 3 became more and more popular, they were so well entrenched into the city that they had the pull to buy out mass transit and prettymuch leave no option for people to do anything but drive their big cars around. Go figure eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning