Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times

Advertisements

Some cities are advertised as "pedestrian friendly." However, this does not mean that the drivers are courteous to the pedestrains. NYC is called pedestrian friendly, but sometimes I feel like I am risking my life just to cross the street!!! Supposedly, Midwestern drivers are more likely to stop for the pedestrians. Atlanta and LA are suppossed to be terrible. Is this true? Which cities are the best and worst for stopping for pedestrains (THIS HAVE LITTLE TO DO WITH BEING PEDESTRIAN FRIENDLY). Please share your observations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 11:36 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
I found that drivers in LA were far more likely to stop for me than are drivers in Minneapolis. In LA cars would screech to a halt at a crosswalk; in Minnesota they would be more likely to pretend they didn't see you. I assume some of the difference comes from different laws or fines/consequences for breaking the laws. The worst place we've lived for cars not wanting to yield for pedestrians (and/or blowing through stop signs) has actually been in San Francisco, although in other regards SF is a great place for those who get around primarily on foot.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
"Pedestrian-friendly" nowadays typically has two meanings:

1) "Our neighborhood/subdivision actually has sidewalks." This has become a selling point since so many recent developments don't have them for various reasons (more lawn space for the homeowners, reduced development costs)

2) "You can actually walk to a variety of shops, restaurants and other amenities" as opposed to the development patterns of the latter 20th century where you have to drive to get to anything.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:58 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Please stay away from Florida; I got hit twice the first year I moved here....it's dangerous...no sidewalks etc.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:58 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I found that drivers in LA were far more likely to stop for me than are drivers in Minneapolis. In LA cars would screech to a halt at a crosswalk; in Minnesota they would be more likely to pretend they didn't see you. I assume some of the difference comes from different laws or fines/consequences for breaking the laws. The worst place we've lived for cars not wanting to yield for pedestrians (and/or blowing through stop signs) has actually been in San Francisco, although in other regards SF is a great place for those who get around primarily on foot.
Interesting the difference between LA and SF, since I've had the understanding that the respect by drivers for the pedestrian's right of way in LA has to do with the laws in California. I can't say that I have personal exposure to the West that goes back years and years, but I've long heard that all three West Coast states have had strict laws for decades about pedestrians' having the right of way, so that these states all are generally good fits in this regard. Makes me curious about why SF would be an exception.

Despite Boston's reputation for aggressive drivers who are basically completely insane, surprisingly the Boston area has become a good place for pedestrians to be reasonably certain they can cross the street without being made a part of the pavement. Back in the '80's, many towns and cities in the area began really pushing the pedestrian's right of way--putting reflective orange notices in the middle of crosswalks, keeping the crosswalks freshly painted so they are bright enough to grab drivers' attention from some distance down the street. Apparently this campaign has been effective.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Some cities are advertised as "pedestrian friendly." However, this does not mean that the drivers are courteous to the pedestrains. NYC is called pedestrian friendly, but sometimes I feel like I am risking my life just to cross the street!!! Supposedly, Midwestern drivers are more likely to stop for the pedestrians. Atlanta and LA are suppossed to be terrible. Is this true? Which cities are the best and worst for stopping for pedestrains (THIS HAVE LITTLE TO DO WITH BEING PEDESTRIAN FRIENDLY). Please share your observations!
NYC is pedestrian friendly and if one obeys the traffic lights for pedestrian street crossing it isn't particularly more dangerous than any other American large city. I suggest you visit China as there the drivers act like pedestrians shouldn't even be around and there it is really like risking your life crossing the streets.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,660,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Please stay away from Florida; I got hit twice the first year I moved here....it's dangerous...no sidewalks etc.

That mindset carries over into all other aspects of peoples lives in Florida. At least in the area of South Florida I suffered for a few years. A violent society where other people are just entities that get in your way at the mall or in a parking lot or register line. As a resident of the state that gets more episodes of COPS than anywhere else, Its thier duty to let you know that passively or aggressively, as in your case.

In a society where cars are god -- Peds, alt transportation people and other vulnerable are the untouchables and aren't worthy of protection. You can hit anyone in a car and just say "I didnt see them" or "they swerved into me" and get off, scott free. Even gun people dont have it this easy.
The negative impact of car culture on every aspect of our society cannot be overstated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning