Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:07 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times

Advertisements

Thanks everyone for sorting out these pronunciations....

Kanab?

A. Genghis Kahn moves to the exclusive neighborhood of Nob Hill in San Francisco.....Kahnnob

B. Genghis starts a masonry business but he is Nabbed or arrested when his Mogol Horde employees pillage the neighborhood instead of making masonry repairs.....Kahnnab

C. Still refusing to give up his ways, is again nabbed for stealing a Can of coffee from a local market....Cannab

D. Wealthy Nob Hill resident Mrs. Jones still safe in the steel enforced "Panic Room" she had installed in her home and unaware Genghis and Horde have been rounded up and it is safe to come out, reaches for a can of food from her Nob Hill safe room supply shelf.....Cannob

Which one is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 02:30 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
I just get a kick out of folks that say Layton "Lay nnn" and don't pronounce the T at all. Cracks me up. I live in Herriman and we say it like "Hair eh mun". Tooele is of course "Too el uh"

Old 09-06-2010, 10:04 AM

224 posts, read 639,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Kanab?

A. Genghis Kahn moves to the exclusive neighborhood of Nob Hill in San Francisco.....Kahnnob

B. Genghis starts a masonry business but he is Nabbed or arrested when his Mogol Horde employees pillage the neighborhood instead of making masonry repairs.....Kahnnab

C. Still refusing to give up his ways, is again nabbed for stealing a Can of coffee from a local market....Cannab

D. Wealthy Nob Hill resident Mrs. Jones still safe in the steel enforced "Panic Room" she had installed in her home and unaware Genghis and Horde have been rounded up and it is safe to come out, reaches for a can of food from her Nob Hill safe room supply shelf.....Cannob

Which one is it?
LOL

C. is closest, but that /a/ is more an /uh/ kuh NAB'

Old 09-06-2010, 10:10 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
I just get a kick out of folks that say Layton "Lay nnn" and don't pronounce the T at all. Cracks me up.
Sort of like they say, "Bri-nnn" instead of "Brighton."

Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,504 times
Thank You InSandy for sorting out proper Kanab, and a rep point (or two) for supporting humor and creativity here on the Utah boards....

The semi-ghost town of Ophir (semi because it has 25 or so present non-ghost residents) and Ophir Canyon?

I am assuming you take "Gopher" and chop off the G...."opher"...?

Or Oh... realizing you are in a ghost town followed by Fear... if you happen to see an actual ghost....."Ohfear"....?

Timpanogos:

Timpan sounding like "Tin Pan" and ogos, think a "Logo" for a company and the company is Greek owned in which it would be a "Logos"

Tin / Pan / Logos....Timpanogos This correct?

Timpooneke Campground:

Not attempting this one, deferring solely to you residents (although the "campground" part straightforward)

Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,220 times
The gopher verison is the correct way for Ophir

Timpanogos would be Tim-Pan-Oh-Gus

As far as the campground one...
Uh, I defer to a Utah native for that one

Old 09-07-2010, 12:28 PM

25,702 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Tim-pooh-neek...

Old 09-07-2010, 01:22 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,971,220 times
Which is what would have been my guess, I just didn't want to be wayyy wrong.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:44 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I remember being down in Bryce Canyon once and hearing someone say she was going to hike the Nuh-VAH-joe loop. She had read the sign pointing to the trailhead. It said "Navajo Loop."
Its one thing to pronounce something wrong when its in another language. Most of these towns/cities we are mentioning in this thread are Anglo words/places but they are pronounced... hmmm.... the Utah way (I was going to say wrong, but who am I to say that... ).

Old 09-07-2010, 06:04 PM

77 posts, read 282,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Sort of like they say, "Bri-nnn" instead of "Brighton."
And like how we say "Moun-nnn" for Mountain. Too funny!

Some more:
Ute - Yoot
Uintah - Yoo-in-tuh
Parley's Canyon - Par-lees

Two I need help on:
Sevier (The county)
Mantua (The city that you drive past in Logan canyon) - I've always heard it's like Manna-way. Confirmations? Wikipedia seems to agree.

Last edited by Ghungroo; 09-07-2010 at 06:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah