Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 03:37 AM

7 posts, read 13,265 times

Advertisements

I've e-mailed the Utah Department of Public Safety asking if a PRC national is, in any way, allowed to drive a car in Utah for the first six months. Unfortunately I didn't get a response yet.

I am aware that after six months you have to get a Utah drivers' license anyway. Unfortunately the Chinese are not a part of the IDL treaty. Is there any possible way for a Chinese national to use his Chinese drivers' license in Utah?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 07:13 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
All I know, other then the 1949 Geneva Convention on Road Traffic or Convention on the Regulation of Inter-American Automotive Traffic, which you are right, the PRC is not part of, is that I have a friend who rents Jeeps in Moab and I know he has rented to Chinese people before, but not sure if they were PRC or Taiwan.

How long ago did you write the UT Dept. of Safety? One suggestion would be to also contact the UT highway patrol. They are under the Department of Safety, but since they enforce the traffic laws, and are known to answer faster, it might help....

Contact UHP | DPS – Highway Patrol

Good luck

Old 05-27-2015, 07:27 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,851,411 times
Just to satisfy my curiosity

1 - are you on vacation here ?
If yes, you can drive here but before you get here,
check with your local offices and get an international Driver's License !!

2 - If you live here already and are here on some kind of visa,
why wait ??
Why not get a Utah driver's License as soon as possible ??

Old 06-05-2015, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Just to satisfy my curiosity

1 - are you on vacation here ?
If yes, you can drive here but before you get here,
check with your local offices and get an international Driver's License !!

2 - If you live here already and are here on some kind of visa,
why wait ??
Why not get a Utah driver's License as soon as possible ??
My friend will be teaching Chinese at two St. George area schools. The College Board of the USA has assigned him to that area. He will be there I believe for nine months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post

How long ago did you write the UT Dept. of Safety? One suggestion would be to also contact the UT highway patrol. They are under the Department of Safety, but since they enforce the traffic laws, and are known to answer faster, it might help....

Contact UHP | DPS – Highway Patrol

Good luck
Thanks for the tip! I went ahead and contacted them. I think they said he has to take a test if he's here longer than 6 months.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:23 PM

Just my opinion, but if he really stays only for 9 months and then get out of Utah then and there the next day, I would honestly not even bother.

Keep the traffic rules, do not drive like any other Utah driver (!!!)
During those 9 months he might not ever have any contact with a law officer.
As long as he does not trump around that he has job here ...

I drove for almost a year and a half with German driver license here in Utah, until we finally decided to stay here. Drove within the traffic laws, never got a ticket, never had any contact with a law officer.
I have been *ticket free* for over 25 years now !

On the other hand, since he IS a Chinese National, how good a driver is he ??
I am not trying to be funny or nasty, just plain hard facts !!

Last but not least, again, if he does plan to get a Utah license, why wait ???
If he *teaches* Chinese, he should be able to understand English somewhat, no ?

Old 06-06-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Just my opinion, but if he really stays only for 9 months and then get out of Utah then and there the next day, I would honestly not even bother.

Keep the traffic rules, do not drive like any other Utah driver (!!!)
During those 9 months he might not ever have any contact with a law officer.
As long as he does not trump around that he has job here ...

I drove for almost a year and a half with German driver license here in Utah, until we finally decided to stay here. Drove within the traffic laws, never got a ticket, never had any contact with a law officer.
I have been *ticket free* for over 25 years now !

On the other hand, since he IS a Chinese National, how good a driver is he ??
I am not trying to be funny or nasty, just plain hard facts !!

Last but not least, again, if he does plan to get a Utah license, why wait ???
If he *teaches* Chinese, he should be able to understand English somewhat, no ?
My colleague has a Chinese drivers' license and he's good at driving. The thing is: Chinese traffic behavior is completely different from USA traffic behavior. It's way more aggressive and chaotic. One may have to get used to be the more orderly USA patterns.

He will be teaching Chinese to American schoolchildren at one high school and one intermediate school. He's got great English.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:56 PM

388 posts, read 548,857 times
Really, the first place to ask this question is of the insurance provider. If one chooses to ignore requirements then teh insurance provider could easily decline to mop up after a mess.

Old 06-06-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeequeen View Post
Really, the first place to ask this question is of the insurance provider. If one chooses to ignore requirements then the insurance provider could easily decline to mop up after a mess.
Good point CoffeeQ !

Since he legally can drive for 6 months, he will probably get insurance, but then the insurance company will insist on a valid Utah Licence.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:53 PM

388 posts, read 548,857 times
And bless him if he is going to park and drive in any Valley high school. He will need good insurance. But tell him thanks for coming, chinese teachers are like hen's teeth!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:39 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,807,624 times
Basically this:

If you have an address and a job in Utah, you have to get a Utah DL. If 6 months passes and you still don't have a job, you also need a Utah DL.

If you are here as a tourist with a visa or are a student only (no job) you can drive legally with a Chinese DL. The state doesn't discriminate against countries... any national DL is sufficient. Proof you are current paying nonresident tuition rates are generally sufficient to prove that.

Also, International Driver's Licenses are usually a scam, issued by one of several private companies who have no legal right to issue licenses. If you read the small print, you'll see they almost always admit that too. If you aren't getting a license from an actual governmental entity, don't waste your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah