Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:22 PM

2,468 posts, read 3,132,277 times

Advertisements

Hi Nightbird,
It really depends on which part of Utah County.
Some parts are close to public transit - others are not.
And some neighborhoods are new and a bit more diverse, others are old and traditional (think pioneer stock).
You may experience some proselytizing but it'll be more subtle than Evangelical, I think.
Missionaries may knock, or your neighbors may invite you to church or activities. But they won't be "in your face" about it - but rather, more reasoning (just their type of reasoning).

There are meet-up groups I'd suggest you get involved with (look online) - based on your interests.
There was even a "healing group" I was invited to attend that was LDS but with open minds to energy healing.
I didn't attend because of schedule conflicts, but it sounded interesting and like people were more open.
What I try to do, since my beliefs are not identical to Mormon beliefs (& yet I'm involved with so many) - is to focus on what we agree on (love, forgive, kindness, compassion etc.)... take the best, leave the rest.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 12:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
If you mean a lot of pagan symbols on jewellery, you won't have to say a thing. I occasionally wore an elaborate silver cross, about 2 in in diameter. I did get the odd look or three. But, so what? I wore it as decoration as it is a medieval reproduction.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:05 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
If you mean a lot of pagan symbols on jewellery, you won't have to say a thing. I occasionally wore an elaborate silver cross, about 2 in in diameter. I did get the odd look or three. But, so what? I wore it as decoration as it is a medieval reproduction.
I lived in Riverside in California, and for a surburban Socal area it was very christan. I had people stop me and say they wanted to pray for me to save me. That has never once happened in Oklahoma and I doubt it would in Utah. I told them to get lost and didn't make a big thing of it.

I've met a couple of missionaries who my son had helping me with the relocation stuff. We had a very interesting talk about how they view god/spirit/and how the universe is turned. Its amazing how mostly the names are different. The thing about paganism is unless you get involved in a really regimented wiccan group (most aren't) much is left for you to visualize the details.

Here in OK, I think people just see me as different, and we talk about the weather but not much else.

I make 'bajoran earrings' (from the startrek show) and the way I do them they really do represent beliefs, but most people think they are really neat.

I'm also looking forward to moving away from the tornado zone. We've never had on hit Cushing, in recorded weather, but there always is a first time. I'm hoping Utah has less earthquakes too.

I have found a list of pagan groups in the state, and they appear active so just maybe I can find one which would be so great.

Waiting for someone to show to fix something now. It will also be a nice thing to be away from Ok time....

Old 08-25-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Hi Nightbird,
It really depends on which part of Utah County.
Some parts are close to public transit - others are not.
And some neighborhoods are new and a bit more diverse, others are old and traditional (think pioneer stock).
You may experience some proselytizing but it'll be more subtle than Evangelical, I think.
Missionaries may knock, or your neighbors may invite you to church or activities. But they won't be "in your face" about it - but rather, more reasoning (just their type of reasoning).

There are meet-up groups I'd suggest you get involved with (look online) - based on your interests.
There was even a "healing group" I was invited to attend that was LDS but with open minds to energy healing.
I didn't attend because of schedule conflicts, but it sounded interesting and like people were more open.
What I try to do, since my beliefs are not identical to Mormon beliefs (& yet I'm involved with so many) - is to focus on what we agree on (love, forgive, kindness, compassion etc.)... take the best, leave the rest.

Good luck!
Part of the things they are looking for is access to transportation, if possible. He said they have lots of snow so I suspect it may be seasonal. What's going to be different for me is getting out of a small town at first, not that I'll really miss it.

The two young women who came over to help with the yard, from the church, I was very impressed with. I showed them my stitching which are all pagan themed and they were impressed. I explained how I see spirit, and how it works and its similar in basics. It was nice to have someone not say the word jesus.

The healing groups sound very interesting. I've participated in that. I've found that the label is less important than the spiritual value of things. And to see human beings, not labels. It makes me look even more forward to moving.

What is tearing me apart is that I can't take all my cats. People here just don't care and its edging out the joy.

It's going to be a long winter.

Old 09-03-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Part of the things they are looking for is access to transportation, if possible. He said they have lots of snow so I suspect it may be seasonal. What's going to be different for me is getting out of a small town at first, not that I'll really miss it.

The two young women who came over to help with the yard, from the church, I was very impressed with. I showed them my stitching which are all pagan themed and they were impressed. I explained how I see spirit, and how it works and its similar in basics. It was nice to have someone not say the word jesus.

The healing groups sound very interesting. I've participated in that. I've found that the label is less important than the spiritual value of things. And to see human beings, not labels. It makes me look even more forward to moving.

What is tearing me apart is that I can't take all my cats. People here just don't care and its edging out the joy.

It's going to be a long winter.
Bummer you can't take your cats - they become family and I'm sure you'll miss them.
Hope you can find good homes for them.

That's nice that some people came to help you with the yard and were encouraging without pushing religion.
I totally agree with you about seeing a person as a human being, not a label.
And I also agree that connecting spiritually is more important than the specific method used (as long as ethical and with desire to do good).

Considering the need for transportation - There are buses, but Frontrunner is faster (to go to Salt Lake City). Here's a map: http://www.rideuta.com/-/media/RideU..._RAIL_Map.ashx
It has stops in Lehi, American Fork, Orem & Provo (only stops for Frontrunner in Utah County - but buses reach other areas - you can look up http://www.rideuta.com/).

Old 09-03-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSoul View Post
Bummer you can't take your cats - they become family and I'm sure you'll miss them.
Hope you can find good homes for them.

That's nice that some people came to help you with the yard and were encouraging without pushing religion.
I totally agree with you about seeing a person as a human being, not a label.
And I also agree that connecting spiritually is more important than the specific method used (as long as ethical and with desire to do good).

Considering the need for transportation - There are buses, but Frontrunner is faster (to go to Salt Lake City). Here's a map: http://www.rideuta.com/-/media/RideU..._RAIL_Map.ashx
It has stops in Lehi, American Fork, Orem & Provo (only stops for Frontrunner in Utah County - but buses reach other areas - you can look up Utah Transit Authority).
I've considered taking all the cats, establishing residency, then finding homes there. Utah is one of the most progressive states with no kill shelters, and OK has one. I wish I could take them all and remome them there. Maybe I'll see, but right now everything is in the early stage.

(except that right now I can't WAIT to get out of here before the next earthquake. My walls and floors were all moving and the kitties were hiding under covers and plastered to me. And I'm from California)

Its neat that there is rail transportation too. It would be neat to be able to choose to go somewhere and go. I did that in California, even when it was just to ride the bus and stop somewhere and then go home. Here no car you just hope someone is home to give you a ride.

I'm pretty much done with Ok already, but then I was also done with socal before moving too. I'm working on viewing it as a great challenge and making steady plans.

I'm involved in science fiction fandom, and have noticed there are a lot of mormons who are fans, and they are cool people. I'm good with people of all faiths, unless they corner you and tell you you must believe as they do or be 'saved'.

I see life as having many roads and sometimes you get surprised by finding roads you hadn't even anticipated.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:49 AM

I grew up in So Ca - love to visit (home is home) but traffic and crime make me happy living in UT.
I went to an exboyfriend's bootcamp graduation in Fort Sill, OK.
The wide open space fields in OK had their own beauty.

I like your attitude about seeing life as an adventure.
I also consider many valid paths to connect spiritually.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
No.

Back when I was Mormon, it felt fake, suburban-sprawly and it lacks anything resembling diversity or culture (though a lot of Utah-native RMs have opened up decent ethnic food restaurants in Downtown Provo, I'll give it that). It is exclusive, beyond reason, but not by income - rather by church status. There is a massive drug problem in Utah Valley, it's just pharmaceuticals instead of narcotics. I recently lived in WVC for 3 years and currently live about 5 miles outside of Detroit yet the only place I have ever had my property vandalized, was in Pleasant Grove, Utah. Someone tagged my car. (In fairness my roommate had his bicycle stolen from our garage in East Salt Lake once, but that wasn't me) Oh, and the whole BYU = life thing? Don't even get me started on that.

Now that I'm no longer Mormon, I actually have a worse opinion of the place.
I know that feeling. I moved to a small town in Oklahoma. As a state, OK is very 'retro' in general, but outside the two main cities its a rather closed society. They also have a huge drug problem, any kind of drugs, and if I do move, I have to sell the house or get someone who will live in it until that because empty it will become a party house and get totally trashed. I've seen pretty much everywhere I've lived has a drug problem. Socal, where I lived for many years before, they just wander around the streets so its more visible but every area has a drug problem to some degree.

My son converted, and then moved to Utah, Provo to be exact, with a job. He loves it there and wants to help and move Mom closer. We still have much talking but I'll need to insist when he's done with his college exams.

I'm also pagan, mostly Wiccan/naturalistic based faith. He either doesn't have a problem, or keeps it quiet. But I don't foist my religion on anyone unless they ask a question. I'm tired of visiting Mormon's telling me I should know something about their faith. That Provo county is something like 98 percent Mormon makes me think moving in with them isn't going to work.

A search of Salt Lake city shows lots of actually interesting things. One is an actual pagan *church*, covering pretty much every flavor, and accomidating the solitaires and the joiners. This is stuff of dreams. And I can't concieve of one ever opening here (in OK).

I actually know a lot of Mormons through science fiction fandom, and they manage to keep their faith and enjoy life in imaginative ways, so I know it doesn't have to be stuffy and don't push religion. It's just that the stuffy people like to gather and insist other people join them.

I'm not in a rush to do anything... that is not a good path to follow at all, as you have a brain to think for a reason. But may be looking into Salt Lake and region. It would be suitably close but not inside his bubble. Any suggestions welcome as to areas to look into, especially if not really expensive?

Old 11-25-2016, 08:36 AM

701 posts, read 1,429,385 times
If you're happy living in Gilbert, AZ (the LDS capital of AZ), I can see why Utah County would appeal to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah