Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 01:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,737,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No bodies of water? Google the state map and zoom in. For starters, there's the Great Salt Lake that gives the city its name.
Hey SouthernBell, this may seem like a dumb question but did you live in the Southeast at one time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 03:58 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,874,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sensualspirit View Post
So is it really only a problem for the months November to February, or is it year round? It must be year round, as pollution doesn't just stop when it's not cold outside.
The pollution is there year round.
As what is mentioned before and above, it gets bad when the pollutants hang around for days, because of the no wind conditions.

Remember Katz mentioned that we need a good storm to blow it all away to somewhere else, but then we also get more snow, and the bloody cycle starts all over again ...

Maybe we just need to build giant fans on the top of the mountains, powered by giant gasoline engines ...
Oops, that does not work either ...

The rest of the year, we have days where the mornings are calm or often no wind conditions at all, but then at about noon or later the winds come back up and clean the air a bit ...

Old 02-02-2017, 08:31 PM

175 posts, read 261,908 times
I'm beginning to think this is starting to be a year round problem. I only noticed it in the winter. But, a couple years ago, we went recreating to locomotive springs. It's out by the north shores of the GSL. It was summer and as we were driving back, you could see a layer of brown air hanging over the ogden/SL area. We just stopped and stared at it. Totally surprised us.

Old 02-03-2017, 12:09 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,874,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolts' Probie View Post
I'm beginning to think this is starting to be a year round problem. I only noticed it in the winter.
Glad you are 'beginning' to figure this out. And it is not *starting*, it IS already year round and it is getting worse, because the amount of people here is steadily increasing ! !

Once again, there are two situations.
One is that because of the lay of the land, in winter, given the right circumstances, we will always have temperature inversions. So keep that in mind, and you can now understand, or beginning to, that we will never solve that 'problem' or situation. It is a fact of life, and nature causes it. People present or not.

The other situation is the amount of people who live in this area. They are the ones who cause the pollution levels not good for anything living !

As I have mentioned before, in any time but winter, the weather in this area , is calm or very lights winds in the mornings, and then around noon or so the winds come up.

Remember that the pollutants tend to hang/float around when there is no wind.

In winter very little wind and the temperature inversions make it so that the pollutants, which are now just hanging around doing nothing, become visible and concentrated.

In other times but winter, the winds available, after the noon hours, disperse the pollutants and make it a bit more bearable. When there is no wind, you can bet that the air is not good to breathe !

Is there a way to fix this ? Yes and no.

Can we fix the inversions, No !

Can we fix the amount of pollutants ?
Only if you either reduce the amount of people to levels of 100 years ago, or do something, I have no idea what or how, to reduce the amount of pollutants generated by the amount of people now present in this area.

Still with me ?
No way will you be able to reduce the amount of people here !
Maybe we can reduce the amount of pollutants, but nobody is willing to really do something about that !

So I ask you, Deadbolt Probie, would you be willing to contribute to the cause of reducing the amount of pollutants by stopping to drive and use public transportation, if the means were there ?
Would *you* be willing to drive less, or stop using gasoline powered vehicles and go electric, if the means were there ?
The key here is *if the means were there* !

Old 02-07-2017, 08:28 PM

175 posts, read 261,908 times
Sorry you had to go through all that explaining. I've lived here over 50 years. I was just joining in the conversation. No need to get snippy. I'm out and done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah