Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 15,956 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to Utah. I have lived in London my whole life and I absolutely hate it. I would like to move somewhere that is the complete opposite of London. In other words, I'd like to live in a conservative area where religion and morals are very strong, the settings are beautiful (I'm sure they will be compared to London!) and where the people are generally friendly. I've set my sights on Provo. Is there anywhere else that I should consider? I'm Catholic but have no problem converting to LDS (to be honest I don't know a lot about Catholicism anyway!) Also, are there any issues with racism in Utah County? (I'm of Asian descent.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 01:54 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times
Just because you move somewhere where there is a dominant religion does not mean you should convert. I hope you seriously think about that one.

It sounds like Utah would be a good match for you. Racism exists everywhere unfortunately and I would be lying to say Utah county is immune to that. There will always be self righteous people that would give strange or "I'm better than you" looks but overall I really don't think it would be a problem. Provo is home to BYU and there are many people that come here from different racial backgrounds. I don't think it'd be a problem.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:24 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,610 times
Provo is beautiful and conservative and religious and friendly, all the things you are looking for. So are several other towns surrounding it. Have you ever visited Utah? I wouldn't make a move like that without visiting first. Also, although there aren't many minorities in Utah in general, there are a lot of people who have spent time in other countries, and generally are very open and accepting of other cultures and ethnicities. I wouldn't anticipate many problems in the way of racism.

Also, about the LDS church: I am LDS, and of course I don't want to discourage you in any way from investigating the religion, but I want you to understand that converting isn't something you should undertake lightly. It is a complete lifestyle change (I think for the better), and one that you should approach with thought and prayer. Since this isn't the forum for religious discussion, I'd recommend you look at Mormon.org for a basic overview that might answer some questions for you. Or you're welcome to send me a private message, if you'd prefer.

I really like Provo, I like the surroundings and the whole general feel of the place. If you get the chance, come check it out for yourself!

Old 09-16-2008, 02:26 PM

I know that racism to various extents is everywhere, but I just don't want to live somewhere like Alabama, as I don't hear good things from there. To me, converting to LDS from Catholicism is hardly a change of religion; Christianity is Christianity after all. I just want to become closer to the customs and views of the people there. Thanks for your input.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:42 PM

595 posts, read 2,743,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Just because you move somewhere where there is a dominant religion does not mean you should convert. I hope you seriously think about that one.
I agree. Very seriously.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:35 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,505,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoip View Post
I know that racism to various extents is everywhere, but I just don't want to live somewhere like Alabama, as I don't hear good things from there. To me, converting to LDS from Catholicism is hardly a change of religion; Christianity is Christianity after all. I just want to become closer to the customs and views of the people there. Thanks for your input.
Oh my goodness, this statement is completely wrong. LDS and Catholicism have some HUGE differences both in beliefs and culture. I'd highly recommend picking up a book on LDS faith and/or attending an LDS service where you are. It's something to look seriously into and decide whether or not you believe what is being taught!

Do you believe there was such thing as an angel called Moroni? Do you believe in what Joseph Smith preached? Most people don't just go yeh, sure, whatever you believe, I'll believe. You have to think all of their religion through, take classes, etc.

I imagine (maybe someone LDS can answer this) you would have to go through a series of classes, etc before you are allowed to convert? Certainly you have to do this to become a Catholic or a Jew or most other religions. LDS does not just seamlessly weave into Catholicism! Although you said you don't know much about Catholicism either.

Church of England to Episcopalian? Sure, now that is not much of a switch. Catholicism to a "high" Episcopal or Church of England service, not a big switch (but of course if you believe in the Pope being as the Catholics believe, then that's a bit sticking point). Catholic to LDS? Holy moly, that is HUGE difference!!

You don't have to be LDS to live in Provo but to be LDS you really need to learn about it.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:51 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,193 times
IMO I would move to Salt Lake County instead of Utah County, just because even though both are all nice and moral and all, Salt Lake County probably has more of the big city amenities than Utah County does. As an added plus, if you like to ski you have more ski resorts closer to Salt Lake than you do in Provo.

Old 09-16-2008, 04:20 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,390,917 times
Look into SW Utah/ St. George. Rather small city but still conservative.
It is more diverse and you can go to Las Vegas on a weekend if you want to get away.

Old 09-16-2008, 05:20 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,656 times
Good info everyone. If people really want to discuss theology, we can start a thread in the Religion forum. But I agree conversion is not necessary to live in Provo. But it would be a good idea to visit Temple Square and / or the local missionaries to understand the religion, since Provo is like 90% LDS. I do know there is a Catholic church in Provo, but I'm not sure where.

Old 09-17-2008, 12:40 AM

ok, thanks everyone. I guess I should have read more about LDS before posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
View detailed profiles of: