Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you for your nice comments and especially for not slamming the door in their faces! Their conversation with you may have been one of the more pleasant ones they had all day. Whenever the JWs come to my house, I remind myself that they're just doing what 50,000+ members of my own church (mostly young men between 19 and 21 years of age) are doing, and even though I'm not interested in joining their church, there is no reason why I can't spend a few minutes in respectful dialogue with them. I'm glad you feel the same way.

Well, they definitely don't have to, but most of the ones who are still practising their religion and have strong feelings about wanting to to share it with others choose to. Young women also serve missions, though just for 18 as opposed to 24 months. Many of them are just getting started with their college educations when they turn 19 and end up turning town scholarships, etc. to serve. You are probably aware that they are not paid to serve a mission, nor does the Church foot the bill. They along with their parents and extended family are responsible for their financial support for the time they are serving, and they have no choice as to where they will be sent. Often they must learn a foreign language before leaving for their destination, which could be anywhere from Chile to Mongolia to Kenya to Iceland. They put in long hours every day and are permitted to call home only twice a year. Needless to say, it's a real eye-opener to some of them and most of them really mature a lot during those two years.

My goodness! I'm old enough to remember the Lettermen, and I had no idea they were LDS!
No, I didn't know the family footed the bill. I assumed the church paid for it. That's pretty tough only being able to call home twice a year. However, I actually understand it. It's a matter of focusing on the job they are doing. Still, if I had known it they would probably be sitting in my living room eating cookies right now.

Yeah, at least 2 of The Letterman were LDS. I just loved that group and was quite upset when then quit making music for a while.

Old 11-23-2010, 01:19 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,322 times
I would like to learn more about the "Mormons" because in the process of relocating, I'll probably study other religions also.
As I right now, I just consider myself a Christian & next spring, I'll be moving to Salt lake City.

I hear that LDS is very family oriented, which is good, so what are the requirements, if any, that I need to have if I wanted to adopt this as my religion?

Old 11-23-2010, 03:13 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
I would like to learn more about the "Mormons" because in the process of relocating, I'll probably study other religions also.
As I right now, I just consider myself a Christian & next spring, I'll be moving to Salt lake City.

I hear that LDS is very family oriented, which is good, so what are the requirements, if any, that I need to have if I wanted to adopt this as my religion?
I would suggest that you arrange to have the missionaries come visit you and teach you the essentials of the gospel in a series of about six lessons/discussions. Don't worry; it's not a hard-sell kind of atmosphere; if you were to lose interest or decide the religion wasn't for you, you may simply say so at any point and they'll stop coming. That would be the first step.

Because of the nature of this particular thread, I'm not going to suggest that you ask any questions of a doctrinal nature here. This thread has been so successful because neither proseltytizing nor bashing has been permitted. Any time you get into deep discussions concerning religion doctrine, sooner or later those things are going to happen. If you have any questions about LDS doctrine and want to discuss them with a Mormon, send me a direct message and we can talk. No strings attached.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:27 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,853 times
Here is a excellent website, created by the LDS Church to answer questions about the faith.

Mormon.org

Old 12-08-2010, 08:53 AM

19 posts, read 35,400 times
I have a question as well. What beliefs do people of the LDS faith have in regards to modern-day medicine? Do they fully believe in utilizing it, or not so much? I know there is a religion that believes you should not interfere with anything that happens, as it is God's will....just not sure which one it is.

I work in Texas for a company based out of SLC, and the medical benefits offered for a corporation of its size are absolutely ridiculous. Most people "down here" have a suspicion their lack of concern regarding benefits is somehow related to their beliefs?

What's your opinion?

Old 12-08-2010, 09:03 AM

Since the LDS Church owns or part owns most of the hospitals in Utah, I think that probably answers the question.

Sounds like this SLC owned Texas company is just stingy, like many employers in this day and age.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 AM

19 posts, read 35,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Since the LDS Church owns or part owns most of the hospitals in Utah, I think that probably answers the question.

Sounds like this SLC owned Texas company is just stingy, like many employers in this day and age.

Got it, LOL

Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
They do ???

Old 12-08-2010, 10:37 AM

They formed what is now InterMountain Healthcare and originally owned most of the hospitals that are part of that system. They are still a member of the non-profit corporation.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:31 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
originally owned most of the hospitals that are part of that system. They are still a member of the non-profit corporation.
Interesting.
In 1975 the LDS Church donated all of their hospitals, ... to whom ??
Then the Intermountain Health Group was asked to
administer those hospitals ...

But if the LDS Church is still a member ???

You have a list of *official members* ??
There is a huge group of *Trustees*, and they serve without pay.
That group *may* be predominantly LDS .. ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah