Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2010, 06:59 PM

29 posts, read 99,763 times

Advertisements

Thanks for this wonderful thread. I've been interested in this topic since reading the Papa Married a Mormon series years ago (loved that series!). In addition, my MIL was born and raised Morman in Logan, although she is not an active member. And did you read the article in The Economist a few months back about how well Utah is faring in this economy? It said it was mostly due to the Mormon work ethic, grown children staying close to home, and marrying earlier than the US average.

Anyway, we are considering retiring in Logan. I'm currently "investigating" the LDS church and find that my values are very much in alignment with those of the church, but non-Mormon friends strongly warned me about how manipulative and controlling the LDS church is. They say they know Mormons who have to turn over their tax returns to Mormon leaders before submitting them to the IRS. They think that Big Love is an accurate representation of that level of control and manipulation. If we moved to Logan and I converted, would we be relinquishing autonomy over our lives?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:46 PM

6 posts, read 11,411 times
That is news to me, I have been in the Church for nearly 65 yrs. and NEVER turned over tax returns.

The only thing I can see as confusion is the Church gives (to those who what it) an accounting of the contributions made that can be taken as a tax-deduction.

I recently moved to Logan... A beautiful place to live!

Welcome

GW

Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 PM

Thanks, GW. A pair of missionaries stopped by to visit tonight, and one shared that he is from Logan! Small world.

Where did you live before Logan?

Old 01-06-2010, 12:28 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.ruf View Post
non-Mormon friends strongly warned me about how manipulative and controlling the LDS church is.

Big Love is an accurate representation of that level of control and manipulation.
Anything can *control* your life, and then *manipulate* you.
But only if you let it do so.

The LDS church has a lot of misconceptions, and the funny thing is that people go to a source outside the LDS church, to find out what it is all about.

If I want to know what makes a *jewish* person tick, I would go to a Rabbi.
If I want to know what makes a Mormon tick, I would go to one of their Bishops.

The Media is a funny thing ...
Even watching *just commercials* makes me think *doctors are stupid*.
Before I would ask a doctor what to do ...
Now, I am told to tell the doctor what he should try on me ....

So if you make the media, *control and manipulate you*, it is YOU who has the problem....

If anybody embraces the life of the LDS church, it should be on their own terms, and not on what the general populace is like. There are a few strange Mormons out there ....

Old 01-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Thanks, irman. And that's what I'm trying to do -- go to the source. I'm taking advantage of the invitation to get the low down via this thread, met the Bishop of my ward last Sunday, and am reading the literature. Non-Mormons sure do have strong opinions about Mormons!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:42 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,975,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Anything can *control* your life, and then *manipulate* you.
But only if you let it do so.

The LDS church has a lot of misconceptions, and the funny thing is that people go to a source outside the LDS church, to find out what it is all about.

If I want to know what makes a *jewish* person tick, I would go to a Rabbi.
If I want to know what makes a Mormon tick, I would go to one of their Bishops.

The Media is a funny thing ...
Even watching *just commercials* makes me think *doctors are stupid*.
Before I would ask a doctor what to do ...
Now, I am told to tell the doctor what he should try on me ....

So if you make the media, *control and manipulate you*, it is YOU who has the problem....

If anybody embraces the life of the LDS church, it should be on their own terms, and not on what the general populace is like. There are a few strange Mormons out there ....
Awesome post! If I might just add, strangeness certainly isn't just limited to Mormons! The general population seems to have that one covered quite nicely!!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:45 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,975,460 times
Quote:
Non-Mormons sure do have strong opinions about Mormons!
My strong non-Mormon opinion is that they are some of the nicest people I have EVER met in my entire life.

I honestly feel very blessed to have moved to Utah and gotten to know not only them, but the whole LDS factor.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,858,315 times
Quote:
Non-Mormons sure do have strong opinions about Mormons!
Yep !
And those opinions can go either way ....

Old 01-06-2010, 02:36 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,385,931 times
Quote:
Anyway, we are considering retiring in Logan. I'm currently "investigating" the LDS church and find that my values are very much in alignment with those of the church, but non-Mormon friends strongly warned me about how manipulative and controlling the LDS church is. They say they know Mormons who have to turn over their tax returns to Mormon leaders before submitting them to the IRS. They think that Big Love is an accurate representation of that level of control and manipulation. If we moved to Logan and I converted, would we be relinquishing autonomy over our lives?
I am non-LDS, so take this for what is worth. I think a lot of people not part of the predominant religion see the amount of time members spend on Sundays for services and meetings, other "callings" during the week, and see that as a religion controlling their lives. Plus, things like recommendations not to watch $ rated movies, and the no drinking, no smoking, no caffeine things as religion telling them how to live their lives. I am sure someone here with a more intimate knowledge of the church can correct this if I am wrong (I have NO intention of spreading anything misleading here, and prefer to be corrected if I am wrong). But as I understand you do these things in order to remain in good standing in the church.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I'm willing to bet I'll get a typical active Mormon to agree with me on this one. That one follows the commandments NOT to stay in line for anyone but for the blessings. I am far from being LDS however in the Judaic faith obedience leads to blessings, and If I'm not mistaken the LDS follow that line of thought as well. By not partaking in substances (be they food, drink etc.) which scripture specifically recommends one NOT partake in, they are allowing their body to function more like what it was designed to be like, forsaking poisons and various other things that cause illness (eg. not eating pork because they are full of toxins which they were placed here to get rid of). Just a thought.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah