Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:53 PM

76 posts, read 319,766 times

Advertisements

Job opportunity popped up at the hospital and I just wanted to know what the community is like around there. I understand it's very close to downtown SLC. How's the crime? Traffic? Expensiveness of the houses? Are some of the foothills areas around there above the inversion layer? Visited the city 2 winters ago and noted the burning/stinging of the eyes due to the smog. Was hoping this part of the city was maybe a little bit above that. If not, are there any commutable areas that you can get away from all that smog that aren't more than about ten to fifteen minutes drive from that area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 03:36 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
]Job opportunity popped up at the hospital and I just wanted to know what the community is like around there. I understand it's very close to downtown SLC. How's the crime? Traffic? Expensiveness of the houses? Are some of the foothills areas around there above the inversion layer? Visited the city 2 winters ago and noted the burning/stinging of the eyes due to the smog. Was hoping this part of the city was maybe a little bit above that. If not, are there any commutable areas that you can get away from all that smog that aren't more than about ten to fifteen minutes drive from that area?

.................................................. ..............................................

Its about one to one and one half miles from downtown. There is some crime in the avenues. Although crime rates (particularly violent crime rates) are relatively low in Utah and that includes Salt Lake City. Traffic is fairly significant. Its a densely populated area. Houses in the lower avenues which is where the hospital is are smaller, older, and not as expensive as homes in the upper avenues. (I would call anything above about ninth avenue, the "upper avenues"). I don't think the foothills are high enough to be above any smog inversion. Inversions are becoming a significant problem in the winter months in December and January.

Doc, if I worked at the LDS Hospital in the avenues, I'd probably live in either Bountiful around Mueller Park (which is about 20 to 25 minutes away) or I'd live in a place like Federal Heights near the University of Utah. Capitol Hill or the Upper Avenues are also options for a residence. The commute from these other places would be in the ten to fifteen minute range you mention. As a physician, I presume you'd be able to afford something in the $300K to $450K range.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:47 PM

Its about one to one and one half miles from downtown. There is some crime in the avenues. Although crime rates (particularly violent crime rates) are relatively low in Utah and that includes Salt Lake City. Traffic is fairly significant. Its a densely populated area. Houses in the lower avenues which is where the hospital is are smaller, older, and not as expensive as homes in the upper avenues. (I would call anything above about ninth avenue, the "upper avenues"). I don't think the foothills are high enough to be above any smog inversion. Inversions are becoming a significant problem in the winter months in December and January.

Doc, if I worked at the LDS Hospital in the avenues, I'd probably live in either Bountiful around Mueller Park (which is about 20 to 25 minutes away) or I'd live in a place like Federal Heights near the University of Utah. Capitol Hill or the Upper Avenues are also options for a residence. The commute from these other places would be in the ten to fifteen minute range you mention. As a physician, I presume you'd be able to afford something in the $300K to $450K range.[/quote]

Well, I have a good sized house in Florida here that I would have to get rid of, which in this real estate climate, may take me a long time. I'm probably not going to get anything out of the house if I am able to sell, so I'd be starting from scratch. Will probably have to rent for a year or two, which I would want to do anyway until I am sure I like the job and area. Even after that, I don't think I need a big house anyway (no kids), so a small place or condo might even do. Don't really want to move somewhere I would be battling traffic all the time. The inversions do worry me. Definitely noticed it when I visited in December a few years ago, and not sure how I could take that.
Other job possibility is in Sandy. Any thoughts on the comparisons to the two areas?

Old 08-05-2009, 04:39 PM

427 posts, read 1,304,664 times
Sandy is a big suburb of SLC and is only about 15 miles from it. It's a nice place and has a lot of nice cities around it (Holladay, Cottonwood Heights, Draper).

Old 08-05-2009, 04:54 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
I would rather live in the Avenues than out in the suburban sprawl. There are lots of very nice old homes and the area has a lot of character. If you work downtown, it would be a relatively easy ride on a bike or walk into work. It's definately one of the nicer SLC neighborhoods.

It is pricey there, however and there are some crap apartments built in the 60's and 70's that I would hate to live next to. Generally, the further you go up the hill the better the neighborhood gets.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I would rather live in the Avenues than out in the suburban sprawl. There are lots of very nice old homes and the area has a lot of character. If you work downtown, it would be a relatively easy ride on a bike or walk into work. It's definately one of the nicer SLC neighborhoods.

It is pricey there, however and there are some crap apartments built in the 60's and 70's that I would hate to live next to. Generally, the further you go up the hill the better the neighborhood gets.
Haven't looked around much in downtown before or the immediate surrounding neighborhoods. Are there some parts of downtown that are easily commutable, safe as well? I went to the Gateway a few times. Noticed there are lots of condos or apartments above most of the shops in that area. Is that neighborhood considered pretty safe? I guess my ideal situation would be to try living downtown in an area that is maybe a quick drive or walk to a gym, restaurants, etc. and also few minutes jaunt to work from there.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,431,476 times
Question The Chaning Role of LDSH, Your Specialty and Response Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMD View Post
Job opportunity popped up at the hospital and I just wanted to know what the community is like around there. I understand it's very close to downtown SLC. How's the crime? Traffic? Expensiveness of the houses? Are some of the foothills areas around there above the inversion layer? Visited the city 2 winters ago and noted the burning/stinging of the eyes due to the smog. Was hoping this part of the city was maybe a little bit above that. If not, are there any commutable areas that you can get away from all that smog that aren't more than about ten to fifteen minutes drive from that area?
Hi FloridaMD,

I've seen a few of your posts in various states. The high avenues are where several physicians of the established physicians live. The lower aves have, for the most part, cheaper homes and are where often grad studens, younger working folks etc. live.

I think someone else suggested Federal Heights. It's within 5 minutes of LDSH, very upscale and full of physicians and others with higher incomes/positions. Physically, Federal Heights is about equal distance between LDSH and the University of Utah Medical Center, thus one reason it became so heavily populated with MDs who had privileges at affiliated University of Utah hospitals. Plus, Shriners is right there too.

While this wasn't your question, and please feel free to send me a DM, I'd be curious what job is available at LDS Hospital? You are aware that it is no longer the Trauma I Center for IHC, after IMC was built in Murray? And LDS has a decreased role in IHC's overall plans. Well, there is roll for LDSH, but it depends on what ones specialty is whether that specialty will be encouraged to grow at LDSH or if IHC is trying to move those specialties more to Intermountain Medical Center (IMC) in Murray. The helicopter service is now based out of IMC when it use to be at LDSH, the E.R. at IMC has about 60-70 rooms and LDSH has perhaps 30 (I'm not certain of the number, but the point is IMC is at least double if not triple the size in the E.R.).

Depending on specialties, certain specialties have to rotate through different IHC hospitals. That isn't to say some really great physicians opted to remain behind at LDSH instead of move their practices at IMC when IMC opened about 18 months ago. Personally, I think a lot of the really gifted/talented physicians remained at LDS. However, they have had to make changes as partnerships split up so certain doctors could go to IMC etc.

I don't want to imply IMC has awful doctors, as many in certain specialties have privileges at both IMC and LDSH. Some of it has to do with the age of the physician and what they want in their practice. Some has to do with call and other factors. However, from my perspective (and others I know) there is a very different attitude among the housestaff and hospitalists at IMC than ever existed at LDS Hospital.

Depending on specialties, LDS Hospital might be a fantastic opportunity. Would you be looking at being an IHC employee, joining a group or other? It matters given that UT is the 4th highest capitated state in the U.S. Straight IHC physicians don't see patients at any hospital that is non-IHC. Many of those in private practice who remainded at LDSH, have expanded their practices to take Blue Cross, Altius and other non-IHC insurances so they can see patients at other hospital now.

Rotation of call would be another issue, depending on your specialty.

If you want to know more, send me a DM. I don't discuss info like this openly.

If I were moving to the metro Salt Lake City area, first what will your call response time have to be? The standard 15-20 minutes? Less or more?

I'd look more at Holladay, Cottonwood Heights etc. where a lot of physicians live. It's the area on the east side of the valley and the roads to the various canyons are often less than 5 minutes away. If you look at a map of SLC, look at Foothill Blvd, then look south along Wasatch Blvd., or the 215 belt loop. That's the area about which I'm talking.

I hope that information is helpful. While you probably have this already, you can read more about IHC at their main website: Intermountain Healthcare - Hospitals, Clinics, & Doctors in Utah - Salt Lake City, Utah. There is a different website for physicians, but it requires being on staff at one of their hospitals and having a password etc. However, the main site can tell you a lot about the missions of the various hospitals in the IHC network.

Specifically, in the Salt Lake metro area, besides LDSH, Intermountain Medical Center - IMC (the Flagship hospital now) also called "the mothership," by some employees; Alta View in Sandy, TOSH - specifically for ortho, Primary Children's Medical Center (PCMC) - connected physically to the University of Utah Medical Center, and the Riverton Hospital which will be much like Alta View, but on the west side of the valley where South Jordan, Herriman, Riverton etc. are booming with young families.

Utah Valley, American Fork and Orem are all in the nighboring county south, Utah County. McKay - Dee is in Weber County (2 counties north of Salt Lake County). The other hospitals are in various areas in UT with IHC keeping one hospital in southern ID. IHC use to have more hospitals, but sold two in ID and two in WY.

If your response time isn't that important, lots of MDs live in Park City- oh IHC is building a new facility there as well as Heber City.

I hope this info helps. DM me if you need more information.

Good luck finding which state and which hospital/practice is right for you. And good luck selling your property. So many physicians seem to be relocating from FL to eastern ID and other places in the Intermountain West. Many have been in the area on vacations before and wanted to get out of the hurricanes and really felt drawn to this area.

MSR

Old 08-06-2009, 07:23 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
Just a couple of more comments.

1. Another option for you might be a condo at a place called "American Towers" that is right downtown. I believe it does have exercise facilities and a swimming pool. The only problem that I see is that the whole downtown is torn up right now as part of a vast "remodeling project". It might make for some discomfort.
2. Mtn. States Resident who sounds like another physician mentioned Park City as a possible place to live. Park City would be above the inversions you worry about. However, its probably 35 minutes from the hospital.
3. You mentioned Gateway as a place to live. I'm guessing that Gateway has both condos and apartments. I don't really know. It might be a very interesting place for a single person or a couple without children to live. I'm guessing this housing is probably some of the more expensive in the area per square foot. However, that may not be a consideration.
4. You also asked for a comparison with Sandy. Chango did a good job of describing areas around there to live. Sandy is much closer to the canyons and ski resorts. Salt Lake v. Sandy is essentially the difference between urban surburban living. If you prefer one over the other that's what would make my mind up for me.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,502,387 times
Upper Avenues are full of doctors. Of course crime can occur anywhere, but the occasional car break-in is about it for that area. Upper Avenues is 11th and above. It is above your basic valley smog but not the inversion. Out of the high-risk earthquake area, but anywhere in the city still has some risk. The valley has a LOT of risk with liquefaction (yet another reason I would not live out there).

To get above the inversion without heading into suburban hell, I'd recommend Emigration Canyon (specifically Emigration Oaks). Again, tons of doctors up there. Homes on the VERY low end around $700K but mostly about $1Million+ so depends on what type of doctor you are I guess if that's affordable. It's above the inversion, gorgeous, and under 10 minutes to the hospital. It's more of a rural feel as it is right up the canyon, and mostly families live there. I would not want to be single up there. No earthquake damage risk there either.

I've got to be honest--I would not live in any of the other places being mentioned, but that's just me. I think the whole suburban sprawl, heavily LDS areas are horrid whereas the areas within the city are fabulous. And I'm not slamming LDS. I'm saying I MUCH prefer the "metro mormon" mentality and areas with at least 50% not Mormon to mix it up a bit. That's my opinion only of course!

And I'd agree Park City would be a great place, above the inversion, but as mentioned, more like 30 min. away. No earthquake risk there either.

There are other really nice areas, but they are not above inversion. Harvard/Yale area, Foothill, Sugarhouse (although I love sugarhouse it is in what is not a good situation if/when the "big one" earthquake hits).

Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaMD View Post
Haven't looked around much in downtown before or the immediate surrounding neighborhoods. Are there some parts of downtown that are easily commutable, safe as well? I went to the Gateway a few times. Noticed there are lots of condos or apartments above most of the shops in that area. Is that neighborhood considered pretty safe? I guess my ideal situation would be to try living downtown in an area that is maybe a quick drive or walk to a gym, restaurants, etc. and also few minutes jaunt to work from there.
Compared to other big cities SLC is pretty safe. Downtown itself is very nice, vibrant and mostly upscale. It has it's share of beggars, burglars and garbage, but it isn't the local "hood" by any stretch of the imagination. South of downtown about 8 or so blocks is another story though.

There are a lot of new high rise condos going in just south of Temple Square that I wouldn't mind living in. The condos surrounding Gateway are also nice, but a bit overpriced in my opinion. Only a few years ago that area was very ghetto, and the homeless shelter and free clinic are still in operation only a block away from Gateway. Pioneer park has also been cleaned up a lot, but still has a lingering bad rep and remains home to lots of drugs and violence. Also, I would avoid living in the area between about 2nd East and 1000 E going E-W and South from South Temple to Draper. The area around Liberty Park at about 900 S and 700 E is OK, it's gentrified a lot since I was younger.

Last edited by Chango; 08-06-2009 at 11:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah