Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 10:09 PM

8 posts, read 12,941 times

Advertisements

I'm continuing to research the area prior to making the jump from Portland, and I consistently hear folks say that Vancouver schools arent good (with several notable exceptions). Especially compared to Camas. I do see the obvious diffetences, test scores are lower, higher diversity, higher percentage of free/reduced lunch. But I know those data points paint an incomplete picture.

Can someone help fill in the details? What about the student experience makes it subpar?

Also, if anyone has specific feedback about Marshall Elementary, that would be great.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 10:35 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Nothing is wrong with Vancouver schools. They are generally pretty good especially compared to equivalent schools on the Oregon side. "Equivalent" in the sense of similar socioeconomic status.

Old 09-11-2016, 01:13 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
It will be a few years before I have kids in school, so I can't speak to student experience, but my impression of my local VPS school is that it's actually pretty good for where it is. We have a very high poverty and a high ELL rate at our school so I think both of those factors play significantly into the test scores. I believe a majority of the teachers have a master's degree, IIRC, but all are considered "highly qualified." That obviously can differ from school to school. I've read lots of parents who really love their schools and whose kids really love their schools up here despite the fact that they maybe don't look great on paper. Hopefully someone else on here has more experience with the schools and can relay you more experiential information.

Old 09-12-2016, 08:59 AM

472 posts, read 526,358 times
I don't have kids but I do pay a huge levy for the schools on my property tax. It's nearly half my property tax bill so I would imagine that money is doing something for schools in the downtown area?

Old 09-12-2016, 09:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,698 posts, read 58,012,579 times
money does not FIX schools, but it does provide great revenue for useless administrators (who may have been even more useless / poor performance as teachers, so got promoted to management)

very typical 'career path', sometimes happens even in VSD. I am only familiar with a few previous superintendents. Too bad these guys were in such positions of power. Hopefully there have been meaningful change.

There are many, many... excellent and dedicated teachers in VSD. As with all teaching, it is no longer possible to 'just' teach. Lots of rules, lots of reporting, lots of risk in dealing with students, parents, administrators.

Not usually a 'teacher' problem, but a failed USA edu system, we were in VSD 25 yrs ago when we had to make the choice to go with Clark County Home Educators - News & Events
+/-
Our kids survived, as did many others who attended VSD and several great local private schools. As a family (while Homeschooling) we committed 24 hrs / week as volunteers within the Public School system. Very enlightening to our kids.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:20 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,575,046 times
Whoever is telling you Vancouver schools are "not good" is mistaken. Most Vancouver schools are very good, safe, and with attentive parents. Camas schools are outstanding, with an upper-income tax base to support them and helicopter parents monitoring what goes on.

If I was looking for public school educations for my kids anywhere on the West coast, Vancouver WA would be on my short list. Especially because of the Running Start program, i.e. two years of college credits, nearly free, while students are in high school.

Old 09-20-2016, 01:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,144,036 times
The city of Vancouver has two school districts--Vancouver Public and Evergreen School District.

Old 10-03-2016, 08:18 AM

8 posts, read 12,941 times
Thank you for the additional details and context everyone! It's good to hear positive opinions about the teachers. I know administration is hit and miss, which is frustrating. But a dedicated teacher that cares really can make all the difference.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:31 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Vancouver schools are good. Generally speaking the ones in the more affluent areas such as East Vancouver bordering Camas and the Salmon Creek and Felida areas will likely have higher scores because they are more affluent. That is pretty much always going to be the case everywhere you go in the country. That doesn't mean those schools are necessarily "better" just that they have less kids with home issues that may cause them to struggle.

There isn't really any secret insider knowledge that you need to know about Vancouver as is sometimes the case in other states and cities where there can be very dramatic school quality differences across school and school district lines due to things like segregation. Vancouver is pretty homogeneous and if the neighborhoods seem nice with lots of kids about the schools will probably be good too.

Other than Camas, the surrounding districts are mostly much smaller which means they will have more limited offerings at the HS level. Which can be an issue if your child wants to do more eclectic things that require a larger school. None of them are "bad" but some are a bit more blue collar (Washougal) and some are a bit more upscale (Ridgefield and Hockinson)

Old 11-28-2016, 11:14 PM

48 posts, read 72,090 times
I'm a little late to this thread but I'm goinmg to add this: Mountain Veiw HS is great. Moved here last year from dallas suburbs with "exemplary" schools and I think Mt View surpasses them, at least on morale. The teachers and the students are very good people and it's been great for my son as he transitioned into high school last year in 9th grade. He's in band and that program is outstanding. I'm sure any public system is not without its faults but I can't think of a better place for my son to be for HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area