Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:16 AM

472 posts, read 530,181 times

Advertisements

Welcome to SW Washington Derek! Glad you finally made it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 01:27 PM

8,224 posts, read 16,752,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
Welcome to SW Washington Derek! Glad you finally made it!
Thanks, cyberious! It's been a bit crazy moving from out of state with 3 kids. But we're starting to get acclimated to things and enjoying it so far.

Derek

Old 06-27-2019, 01:28 PM

8,224 posts, read 16,752,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Thunder, Wind, Lightning and...
No Power for the last 6 hrs...

oops. (not as handy as no power during Ice Storms, and you can set ref and freezer stuff outside in a snowbank.)

Maybe it will be fixed during daylight.
Maybe not. (9 days is longest w/o power)

Rural living w/ no power means no water (well) At lease the pipes are not going to freeze in June / July.

BTW: (New kids in town)
Derek...... Make sure you get to Washington Park International Rose Gardens soon, Roses are great (Wed or Sat is good / Farmers Market). Peninsula Park is another Rose Garden on your way in or out on I-5

Take the Family to the Ole Spaghetti Factory for lunch menu... (near OHSU tram), (Open for lunch until 2:30pm) 50th anniversary celebration at the moment.
Jake's Crawfish has a nice Happy Hour menu (you can get an outdoor table too (for the kids). Orange Soda is great! (I get an Orange Float for my Happy Hour drink))
Free concerts and movies in the Portland Parks. https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks/69555

Camas First Friday / Annual car show on Friday eve this week
This weekend is Vancouver Farmers Market 'Recycled Art' (Very good, go on Saturday AM before it is sold out!)

CMNW just started. (Free concerts and rehearsals, Reed College is good venue and Crystal Springs Rhodie Gardens (free after 6PM) is just across the street (Rhodies are finished, but it is a very nice park for an evening stroll)
https://cmnw.org/

Coming in July..

Vancouver Cruz-in and Ole Timers meet (Ridgefield / Shurman Machine) (same day 20 July)
Brooks, OREGON Steam-up Last weekend in July and first in Aug Steam-Up (I will attend on 27 July, as I like to go to a nearby annual evening concert and BBQ (free / donation))

AUG...
Don't miss the FREE Skamania County Fair Fun, little fair with great art and animal displays and a logger 'rodeo' one day of the fair. REALLY nice inland waters next to Skamania Fairgrounds (can camp there too, might be ideal for Paddle boards (if not too windy)
Bring coolers and have Annie's fish market fill your coolers with Salmon / Steelhead while you are at the fair (NA fishery just beyond Bonneville WA Visitors center). Buy direct from the fishery, (huts on the river) NOT from the roadside sellers (2x the price at 'road sellers'). VERY Fresh fish at the huts. (sometimes Sturgeon too). They will clean and fillet or cut steaks. (for free / tip)

Sept (OREGON State Fair)

Oct - GREAT sunsets at the beach (go to Hug Point on low tide for really good pics) Caves, waterfalls, Blasted road (Highway 1 used to run along the beach during low tide, and they used shipwrecks as stage stops. )

Winter... after a breezy hike in the gorge...(or skiing XC or downhill); Go hang out at Skamania Lodge on a cold snowy day! (Great eats there and at Walking Man and Wind River Grill (Smoked Salmon Chowder on Fridays (call first to verify they still have some left)

Keep listening for Thunder... it happens (occasionally). Often a distant rubble, seldom a crackle

My sis just sold her place in South Hockinson. Raised her kids through HS there (but all of them also did Running Start and Portland Youth symphony (and a few classes / events at Hockinson). They are all in professional music now, and they sold their horses, goats, chickens and cows and escaped to another of my favorite regions (Ft Vancouver Historical site). I often attend Hockinson graduation as many of my co-worker's kids are there.

Wow, lots to see and do here over the summer. Thanks for all of the tips on things to check out!

Derek

Old 06-27-2019, 03:56 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,160,665 times
It happens very rarely. But apparently still more frequent than California.

https://twitter.com/NWSSeattle/statu...65343657840640

Old 06-27-2019, 05:23 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,260,034 times
I heard thunder and saw lightning yesterday. We lost power for maybe 15 or 20 minutes.

Reminded me of spring or midsummer storms in the midwest. They are rare here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area