Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2019, 12:56 PM

8,235 posts, read 16,775,360 times

Advertisements

We just had a thunder storm roll through the early hours of the morning waking us up. These are rare in Monterey, CA where we're moving from. We only hear thunder a few times a year and see lightning even less. I'm guessing that western WA/OR is similar.

While living in CO it was just the opposite with spectacular thunder/lightning storms like clockwork. I joked that CO only had two seasons: snow season followed by thunderstorm season. Thunder was so loud it would shake the house.

Derek
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 01:01 PM

5,533 posts, read 7,830,150 times
You hear it from time to time around here but it's not terribly common. Not like living in Central Texas when it was almost a daily thing in summer evenings.

Old 05-19-2019, 02:30 PM

103 posts, read 92,574 times
Cool picture Derek!

Old 05-20-2019, 10:56 AM

17,414 posts, read 12,380,065 times
It's rare enough that when we do get some thunder locals take to facebook groups asking what that boom was.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:43 PM

473 posts, read 531,699 times
How much longer before you move Derek?

Old 05-21-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberous View Post
How much longer before you move Derek?
3 weeks and counting! I can't believe its finally time. We had to wait for the kids to finish up school while planning the move. Plus, I've been so busy at work that my wife did all the house hunting in person while sending me pics, videos, etc...

Derek

Old 05-22-2019, 07:23 AM

473 posts, read 531,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
3 weeks and counting! I can't believe its finally time. We had to wait for the kids to finish up school while planning the move. Plus, I've been so busy at work that my wife did all the house hunting in person while sending me pics, videos, etc...

Derek
Awesome! Just in time for summer :P

Old 06-26-2019, 08:46 PM

Well, we've been here less than two weeks and are really enjoying it. We got our first thunderstorm today along with a rainbow. I am still watching the lighting storm out our window - more lighting than I've seen in a long time. Here's a bit of the clouds.

In addition to this we've had some truly beautiful skies and sunsets since arriving. Summer has been great so far. Enjoyed paddleboarding on Lacamas Lake. The water is surprisingly warm already.

Derek

Old 06-26-2019, 08:55 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,152,268 times
Heard thunder about an hour ago, a storm rumbled through. I really miss those summer storms, the PNW dosen’t have many, today was a treat.

Amazing pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,821 posts, read 58,392,967 times
Thunder, Wind, Lightning and...
No Power for the last 6 hrs...

oops. (not as handy as no power during Ice Storms, and you can set ref and freezer stuff outside in a snowbank.)

Maybe it will be fixed during daylight.
Maybe not. (9 days is longest w/o power)

Rural living w/ no power means no water (well) At lease the pipes are not going to freeze in June / July.

BTW: (New kids in town)
Derek...... Make sure you get to Washington Park International Rose Gardens soon, Roses are great (Wed or Sat is good / Farmers Market). Peninsula Park is another Rose Garden on your way in or out on I-5

Take the Family to the Ole Spaghetti Factory for lunch menu... (near OHSU tram), (Open for lunch until 2:30pm) 50th anniversary celebration at the moment.
Jake's Crawfish has a nice Happy Hour menu (you can get an outdoor table too (for the kids). Orange Soda is great! (I get an Orange Float for my Happy Hour drink))
Free concerts and movies in the Portland Parks. https://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks/69555

Camas First Friday / Annual car show on Friday eve this week
This weekend is Vancouver Farmers Market 'Recycled Art' (Very good, go on Saturday AM before it is sold out!)

CMNW just started. (Free concerts and rehearsals, Reed College is good venue and Crystal Springs Rhodie Gardens (free after 6PM) is just across the street (Rhodies are finished, but it is a very nice park for an evening stroll)
https://cmnw.org/

Coming in July..

Vancouver Cruz-in and Ole Timers meet (Ridgefield / Shurman Machine) (same day 20 July)
Brooks, OREGON Steam-up Last weekend in July and first in Aug http://www.antiquepowerland.com/html/steam-up.html (I will attend on 27 July, as I like to go to a nearby annual evening concert and BBQ (free / donation))

AUG...
Don't miss the FREE Skamania County Fair Fun, little fair with great art and animal displays and a logger 'rodeo' one day of the fair. REALLY nice inland waters next to Skamania Fairgrounds (can camp there too, might be ideal for Paddle boards (if not too windy)
Bring coolers and have Annie's fish market fill your coolers with Salmon / Steelhead while you are at the fair (NA fishery just beyond Bonneville WA Visitors center). Buy direct from the fishery, (huts on the river) NOT from the roadside sellers (2x the price at 'road sellers'). VERY Fresh fish at the huts. (sometimes Sturgeon too). They will clean and fillet or cut steaks. (for free / tip)

Sept (OREGON State Fair)

Oct - GREAT sunsets at the beach (go to Hug Point on low tide for really good pics) Caves, waterfalls, Blasted road (Highway 1 used to run along the beach during low tide, and they used shipwrecks as stage stops. )

Winter... after a breezy hike in the gorge...(or skiing XC or downhill); Go hang out at Skamania Lodge on a cold snowy day! (Great eats there and at Walking Man and Wind River Grill (Smoked Salmon Chowder on Fridays (call first to verify they still have some left)

Keep listening for Thunder... it happens (occasionally). Often a distant rubble, seldom a crackle

My sis just sold her place in South Hockinson. Raised her kids through HS there (but all of them also did Running Start and Portland Youth symphony (and a few classes / events at Hockinson). They are all in professional music now, and they sold their horses, goats, chickens and cows and escaped to another of my favorite regions (Ft Vancouver Historical site). I often attend Hockinson graduation as many of my co-worker's kids are there.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-27-2019 at 03:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area