Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 06:03 PM

5 posts, read 24,450 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are 27-yr-old professionals relocating to the Vancouver/PDX area from DC (Alexandria, VA, actually) this month. We will initially be renting a place, and ultimately hope to buy. We do not know anyone in Portland/Vancouver, but are drawn out here for the lifestyle, culture, and beauty of the area! We are looking to live somewhere where we can meet other folks our age - somewhere relatively safe, but close to restaurants, bars, coffee shops, bookstores, a gym/yoga studio, and it needs to be dog friendly. We loved the Nob Hill and Alberta Arts areas, though they are spendy, and somewhat over-popular. We'd love any suggestions and opinions you all may have on were we might live.

We're (perhaps irrationally) afraid Vancouver may not be a good location to meet other people, since we don't have kids as yet, and it has that sort of smaller town suburb feel. Once we plan to start a family, we'll likely head toward an area with better schools - from what I read at present, those areas are Camas and Vancouver. This could all change, of course!

It sounds like the overall cost of living on either side of the river is relatively similar, when all the taxes (or lack thereof) even out. If it's true that if you live in Washington but work in Oregon, you still have to pay Oregon income tax, does the reverse apply as well? If you work in Vancouver and live in Oregon, must you pay OR income tax or are you exempt since your money is earned in WA?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,501,383 times
Honestly, I would live in Portland unless you're planning on starting a family in the next couple of years. We're living in Camas and at 2 my husband and I would have been bored here, its great with our little kids but we're in our early thirties now and no fun anymore

I do think though that Portland is still more expensive any way you cut it. Especially if you're considering the trendier neighborhoods.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:16 AM

700 posts, read 2,596,553 times
Hands down...

For what you are saying about your reasons to move to the PNW...
Portland.

Vancouver has its place for some people (heck even i tried it once)
But you will soon feel like you are on an island and become one of the bridge crowd.

The cost is a wash if you will be working in PDX...
The time will come when you want to do something in Portland , then you wont because
"its such a hassle"...

Try SW/ SE neighborhoods... Sellwood/Woodstock/ and a few blocks away from Hawthorne (in the neighborhoods around) is nice and very convienent. DONT do Beaverton or anything like that...stay in the burbs around downtown for optimum experience.

This is my 20 yen...
Good Luck

Old 06-03-2008, 04:02 PM

44 posts, read 187,920 times
In our opinion Uptown Village in downtown Vancouver has everything that you listed. There are some great newer condos for rent and you are in walking distance of main street in Uptown Village.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:56 AM

72 posts, read 289,479 times
To answer your tax question, if you live in Oregon but work in Washington, you will still pay Oregon income tax on that income. The only way to avoid Oregon income tax is to live and work in Washington, but salaries may be higher in Oregon to compensate for the higher taxes. That's been my girlfriend's experience, anyway.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
CPF

45 posts, read 194,921 times
"close to restaurants, bars, coffee shops, bookstores, a gym/yoga studio, and it needs to be dog friendly."

Laurelhurst Park in Portland is tailored to dogs, though most others are good as well. Your biggest concern will be finding a dog friendly apartment. Food, booze and coffee are everywhere. You will end up going to Powells for books no matter where you live. Hawthorne is probably ideal for your needs, if a little spendy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Vancouver area
View detailed profiles of: