Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:24 AM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
And you would be the rest of the world kkgg?
She has a real point -

People from outside of Canada would consider Vancouver to be a chilly or cold city, but not freezing like the rest of Canada - in Canada Vancouver is talked about as being "warm" or the part with "good weather". In the US, the second coldest country on this side of the world, Seattle is known as being the city with terrible weather (Buffalo of course, too). If I took someone from any country on this side of the world, they would probably consider 10 degrees to be cold and Vancouver to be a cold city. Temperatures like -10 C are unseen of to most of the world's people - most people don't even experience 0 degree weather during the year, but in Canada, a city with an average of 0 degrees in winter would be among the warmest in the country. Furthermore, cities like Vancouver and Calgary are quite small cities on the world scale - remember that Canada is extremely sparsely populated. Cities like Halifax and Edmonton are mere suburbs compared to the cities in other countries. In fact the reason cities like Halifax are shown on most world maps is because the lack of any larger cities nearby - I'm in a town of 100,000 right now, but it won't be seen on the map because there are two cities of at least 600-700,000 people within 15 minutes of me going either north or south. Vancouver and Calgary are small cities - defintely cities, but definetely small. Now Toronto, that's definetely a large, world city.

I'm not saying Vancouver sucks, just it's small and chilly on the world scale.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,764 times
Whatever everybody says, everybody knows that Vancouver is one of the nicest cities to live in North America. It may be expensive, chilly and rainy in the winter and so on, but, for what it offers, it's a great place to live. And I'm really enjoying the summer here. Vancouver and Seattle has the best summer weather on the planet.

You can bash Vancouver as much as you want, but it won't change anything. People will continue to move here and enjoy many things it offers. There are many reasons for that. People don't put with high cost of living here for nothing.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:53 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Finally a ranking that makes some sense! I don't call a city with such a small job market and mediocre wage along with New York -like housing price "most livable", no matter how beautiful it is. You can't just eat raw fish from the pacific and live in the mountains, can you.

To those who like making argument such as "since you don't like it, why are you staying", I'd say "cheap shots!" There are millions of people who hate the cities they are living in, but moving may not be an easy option because you have many other factors to consider: job, family, legal issues, friends etc.

Plus, the OP simply points out ONE ranking that says Vancouver is not as livable as many claim, what's with all this sarcasm? You guys simply can't handle the fact that some may not find vancouver attractive and have to attack him?

And Cornerguy, where exactly did you see him say vancouver is a "craphole"? He quoted an article using statistical facts about Vancouver, and from a different yet pragmatic perspective, points out rather objectively that Vancouver's high unemploymentm high crime rate and high housing price may make the city less livable as it appears to be, may I ask what's wrong with that? I mean, aren't people still allowed to dislike Vancouver?

You yourself imagined an argument where others didn't even go anything close to and attacked with strong scarcasm, and that's what is funny. Basically from my obervation your sharpest weapon is whenever someone says he doesn't like certain aspect of a city you happen to like, you would simply say "why don't you leave?" People have families, careers, and friends and it is not like leaving a city permanently is as easy as booking a flight ticket!
There's an easy answer to your questions and comments in your post that will help you to understand why CG1 responded the way he did.

You can do the same thing that CG1 obviously did, which was to read all of the OP's previous hit and run posts on the board. Then you can come back here and tell us whether or not you think the OP is sincere or really just an unhappy anonymous young teenager with too much empty time on his hands.

Why should other sincere posters accept the noisome and juvenile complaints from a petty under-aged malcontent who can't write or spell properly while claiming to have 2 bachelors degrees and who comes up with a lame excuse of being stuck going to school in a city he hates because he's a self-made "millionaire"?

Don't you think an educated, self-made millionaire would have better things to do with their time than to waste it posting childish complaints on an internet forum like City-Data?

My response to the OP is to get real, get a grip, get a life, quit pretending to be something you obviously are not and grow up.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-23-2010 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-23-2010, 01:03 PM

613 posts, read 815,300 times
I don't give much credence to any of these "studies", good or bad. They are all based on someones arbitrary idea of what is attractive and what isn't. I always feel good when my home town is singled out for something good, but I don't give it much credence.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Temperatures like -10 C are unseen of to most of the world's people - most people don't even experience 0 degree weather during the year, ........ I'm not saying Vancouver sucks, just it's small and chilly on the world scale.
Uummm - you're kidding, right? have you looked at a globe lately and seen where most of the world's people live? It's called the northern hemisphere. Have you ever taken note of the average winter temperatures in Europe, Russia, China? Are you aware that even in the southern hemisphere in Australia, which most people think of as being a hot place year round, they can get freezing temperatures during their winters?

Here is something for you to put on your favorites list so you can check it from time to time next winter to see what temperatures are like around the world. It's very pretty to look at.

North America Weather Map - Current Temperatures of North America °F or °C - Find Local Weather

Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Uummm - you're kidding, right? have you looked at a globe lately and seen where most of the world's people live? It's called the northern hemisphere. Have you ever taken note of the average winter temperatures in Europe, Russia, China? Are you aware that even in the southern hemisphere in Australia, which most people think of as being a hot place year round, they can get freezing temperatures during their winters?

Here is something for you to put on your favorites list so you can check it from time to time next winter to see what temperatures are like around the world. It's very pretty to look at.

North America Weather Map - Current Temperatures of North America °F or °C - Find Local Weather

I'm sorry if I offended you, but no i'm not kidding, the greater percentage of the world does not live in Europe, Russia, or Australia. Of the 6-7 billion people in the world, most of them are living in places like Mexico, Africa, India, Southern China and other areas around the equator. Whether most of the population lives in the northern hemisphere or not is trivial; all that dictates is when one will experience summer and winter. Russia only has 150 million people, Australia 20 million, the EU less than 500 million (and that's tossing in places like Italy, Spain, Southern France, Portugal and Greece). I have indeed taken note of the average winter temps around the world - my girlfriend from Goteborg says that the winters in MTL and TO are worse than in Stockholm in her country (but that the summers are far warmer) which weather stats back... In England, not a warm place, nobody experiences anything approaching a Canadian winter - 6 inches of snow and London is shut down for days. In China cities in the north like Beijing have a climate like Washington DC...they actually have a winter in contrast to the south, but nothing like a Canadian winter. Now Russia - that's a place with Canadian winters - but still only 150 million people out of 7 billion, and there are still parts of Russia like Sochi and the Black Sea which are warmer than anywhere in Canada.

Its a really trivial and silly debate which I won't engage in any further - Canada is cold, not in a bad way, no insult, it's a cold country and that is a basic fact people know about Canada, and Vancouver while warmer than everywhere else in Canada is still a pretty chilly city compared to most other countries. I don't say that because the winters are especially cold, but because the winters are cold and the summers are cool - the average temperature in the warmest month doesn't even hit 25 degrees.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:56 PM

Well I agree it's silly and trivial to debate, it wasn't something I was wanting to argue about the semantics of either, but I think you're wrong about China - population 1.3 billion by the way - they've been having downright nasty cold winters all over China and the rest of the Eurasian continent for the past few years.

My point was that there are a LOT of people living all over the northern hemisphere that experience temperatures well below freezing in the winters.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:25 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
In the US, the second coldest country on this side of the world, Seattle is known as being the city with terrible weather (Buffalo of course, too).
Not to get too far off topic, but I guess it's that kind of misinformed thinking about Seattle that is good for us, keeping the place from getting too overcrowded. Seattle's weather is gray in the winter, as is Vancouver's, of course, but nowhere near "terrible" or really cold- our winters are far warmer than any of the big east coast cities, and any of the northern tier of the US, including Chicago, Minneapolis, Denver, Detroit, Kansas City, etc. When grass stays green in the winter, and people can actually have flowers blooming outside in the middle of winter, THAT is not really cold. Cold compared to Los Angeles, San Diego, or Florida for sure- but not compared to many, many other parts of the country.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:31 PM

701 posts, read 1,900,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You can do the same thing that CG1 obviously did, which was to read all of the OP's previous hit and run posts on the board.
Well, just like you can tolerate all the posts claiming Vancouver is the best (or one of the best) cities in the globe, people on this forum should learn the accept others believe Vancouver is one of the worst as well, right?

One thing I never understand is, if A posts 100 posts repeatedly saying Vancouver is fantastic, livable, beautiful, paradise, nobody would call him a troll; on the other hand, if B posts 100 posts complaining Vancouver is horrible, unlivable, ugly like hell, then he is automatically a troll.

Isn't it funny? One is allowed to praise but not to criticize. I don't mind being called a troll or whatever for repeatedly denigrating a city; but a person who repeatedly praise a city should be called a troll as well, just to be fair since both are expressing their true likes and dislikes.

Old 07-23-2010, 09:34 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgg7 View Post
Well, just like you can tolerate all the posts claiming Vancouver is the best (or one of the best) cities in the globe, people on this forum should learn the accept others believe Vancouver is one of the worst as well, right?

One thing I never understand is, if A posts 100 posts repeatedly saying Vancouver is fantastic, livable, beautiful, paradise, nobody would call him a troll; on the other hand, if B posts 100 posts complaining Vancouver is horrible, unlivable, ugly like hell, then he is automatically a troll.

Isn't it funny? One is allowed to praise but not to criticize. I don't mind being called a troll or whatever for repeatedly denigrating a city; but a person who repeatedly praise a city should be called a troll as well, just to be fair since both are expressing their true likes and dislikes.
Mod Note:

The fact City Data forums are chock full of posts criticizing various locations and that such threads remain on the boards negates the assertion that criticism is not permitted.

However, new members or users are entitled to have some context such as why a hypercritical member continues to reside long-term in a location that they claim to despise. Hopefully such background information will allow users to drive the most benefit possible from forums.

For a member who seems very concerned about total accuracy, kkgg7, it needs to be noted that the only mention of troll in this thread has been in your material.

No one else accused the OP of trolling; there was merely some justifiable curiosity about why the OP would continue to stay in a location which makes them distinctly unhappy.

Now let's try and stick with discussing the topic rather than throwing about unjustified accusations.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver