Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 AM

163 posts, read 628,573 times

Advertisements

i have never encountered someone from Vancouver that has true hate towards TO, and vice-versa. this is from someone that spends significant time between the 2 cities every year.

i think it's safe to say that the moderators can close this thread and call it a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 12:31 PM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
Having lived in Vancouver for several years, I don't recall anyone ever bashing Toronto. The Leafs? Yes, all the time, but not the city or the people.

However, having been born and raised in Halifax, NS, the hate for all things Toronto (except the Leafs) is very real. And many have never even spent any time there. They just see crowds, traffic, smog, visible minorities (yes, this bothers many of them), and the one things that bothers them the most, the amount of attention the city gets.

There is nothing - NOTHING - a Maritimer loathes more than someone getting more than they have. I am from there and the backbiting is just pitiful.

Vancouver is a jewel. A soggy one, yes, but we still go back to visit old friends every few years and always enjoy its beauty.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:22 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
It's like the LA-NYC feud in the US.
No, LA and NYC represent two distinct lifestyle in America, while Toronto and Vancouver are way more similar.

also LA and NYC both get plenty of spotlight. While Vancouver, hardly that much. Well, it is not even the second largest in Canada.

Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthYorkEd View Post

There is nothing - NOTHING - a Maritimer loathes more than someone getting more than they have.
And there is nothing I loathe more than someone getting more than they contribute to the country and feeling they are somehow entitled.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, LA and NYC represent two distinct lifestyle in America, while Toronto and Vancouver are way more similar.

also LA and NYC both get plenty of spotlight. While Vancouver, hardly that much. Well, it is not even the second largest in Canada.
You seem to give Vancouver a lot of attention. I've read scores of your posts on Vancouver.
The difference between NYC and LA is quite different, mostly because of the weather and of course density. Even though Vancouver and Toronto's weather is less extreme than NYC and LA, anyone who has lived in both cities would most likely say the lifestyles are quite different. Just seeing snowboarders with their boards on the city busses heading for the local mountains or people having lunch on the beach while at work are two images that come to mind, that I don't see in Toronto.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-14-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
People in Vancouver? Locals do not hate Toronto. The only people I've ever heard disliking Toronto in Vancouver are people FROM Toronto who have moved here.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:52 PM

34 posts, read 80,321 times
i have been in a few short conversations with various people in Vancouver about Toronto and this is what i concluded from it: the ones putting down Toronto were pretty immature and negative to begin with. Majority of them never set foot in Toronto and they spoke of the city like some spoiled jealous manchild . Of the former Torontonians i met or worked with over the years, all except for one had good things to say about living here . When we did ask them their opinion of living in Vancouver or their likes/dislikes, they spoke in a friendly way and mentioned the differences they experienced back home. One ex-Torontonian that was my manager a few years ago was unhappy living here and thought of Vancouver as a dumpy little town. Mind you, he was 55, a drinker, a connoisseur of cheap dirty hookers, a cocaine user and greatly despised by many of the employees.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:47 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyvancity View Post
One ex-Torontonian that was my manager a few years ago was unhappy living here and thought of Vancouver as a dumpy little town. Mind you, he was 55, a drinker, a connoisseur of cheap dirty hookers, a cocaine user and greatly despised by many of the employees.
Where can I send a resume?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Just seeing snowboarders with their boards on the city busses heading for the local mountains or people having lunch on the beach while at work are two images that come to mind, that I don't see in Toronto.
snowboarding or having lunch on the beach on a weekday is hardly the typical lifestyle of most Vancouverites. Stop pretending it is.

Honestly, having some mountains nearby hardly has any effect on the vast majority of people's main lifestyle. Most Vancouverites go to work, come back home and do their chores, just like Torontonians. The existence of ocean and mountains nearby doesn't have much to do with their life on a daily basis - weekends or holidays, maybe, but it is not like Toronto doesn't have access to plenty of nature within 2 hours drive.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 AM

377 posts, read 1,695,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
snowboarding or having lunch on the beach on a weekday is hardly the typical lifestyle of most Vancouverites. Stop pretending it is.

Honestly, having some mountains nearby hardly has any effect on the vast majority of people's main lifestyle. Most Vancouverites go to work, come back home and do their chores, just like Torontonians. The existence of ocean and mountains nearby doesn't have much to do with their life on a daily basis - weekends or holidays, maybe, but it is not like Toronto doesn't have access to plenty of nature within 2 hours drive.
Based on my observation, a greater percentage of Torontonians tend to spend time outdoors and at the cottage than those in Vancouver. And they tend to be more hardcore about it. Load the car, invite the cousins and neighbours, head up Friday afternoon in insane traffic, boat, camp, BBQ and return home on Sunday. Rinse, repeat.

Despite the readily available mountains and waterfront areas, university students excepted, very few Vancouverites take the the time to enjoy it in my experience. And before Natnasci blows a gasket, when I say Vancouverites I'm referring to those across the entire metro, not those who live within a 2 sq/mile radius of him.

I get amusement when my friends and family brag about how the Vancouver lifestyle is superior due to having the mountains and ocean in proximity, when at best they have the time to enjoy them 1-3 times a year, and spend the majority of their time doing the exact things I do every day and spend any extra leisure time sitting in coffee shops and sushi restaurants on rainy weekend days. Most of them are too busy working their asses off in middle management sales jobs to afford their massive mortgage payments to have the free time and income to enjoy everything the city has to offer. Yet despite my "inferior lifestyle", I too enjoy Vancouver's outdoors with similar frequency during my trips back every 6 months or so.

Don't get my wrong, Vancouver is a fantastic city for outdoor activity if that's your thing but I personally prefer the Toronto approach to travel. Head north on weekends, and by virtue of having actual careers in this town, people can afford to travel around different places more often (which not enough take advantage of - but that's another discussion entirely).

Last edited by Liberated in TO; 08-15-2013 at 10:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver