Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 01:11 PM

260 posts, read 338,249 times

Advertisements

I started to become vegetarian about 10 years ago for humane reasons. I felt as if I didn't need to kill another living being to sustain myself - there are more than enough options for me to not do that. As I got older and switched careers into something focused on healthy living, I realized the health benefits of what I was already doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,160,011 times
Animals. I decided that it was hypocritical to eat anything I wasn't willing to kill.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:16 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,142,285 times
For some reasons unknown to me, I just gradually lost any reason to eat hamburgers, hotdogs, and so forth. Same thing with some pizzas. Then I stopped eating ham. Odd, eh? But I have no qualms about honey.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:20 PM

Yeah, I was told in no uncertain terms that humans were omnivorous, by someone. I was just googling a few things and discovered that another term, fruitarian. People who eat fruit can get their B vitamins.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,870,884 times
People tend to freak out about B12, all you need to do is have a blood test done to check your B12 level. My doctor does this test along with my cholesterol panel and CMP. Most people, even vegetarians and vegans, will have normal B12.

A much more common deficiency is vitamin D, whether you eat meat or not.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:02 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,848,417 times
I'd like to remind everyone of the thread topic:

Quote:
Are you vegetarian for health reasons or because of animals?
Let's please get back to that question.

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:29 AM

18,245 posts, read 25,903,448 times
I came down down with hypertension at age 33. Yep! 33.

I just came off a 7 month construction assignment working in New Mexico on a 183 mile pipeline job. 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. Few of the motels available had kitchennettes, You grabbed what rooms you could grab as I didn't have a camper trailer to cook my own meals.

Looking back over two decades later, I have my doubts whether I had any oatmeal or dry cereal for breakfast and for that matter any vegetables in my diet. Restaurants would stay open in the small towns we stayed in. You grabbed what you could grab.

After the layoff, it was party time for a few weeks as I hadn't seen relatives or friends in several months. Woke up one morning and felt lousy, as if I worked a 12 hour shift. Two days later i went to the doctor. My numbers were, um, not good. Cholesterol was way over 300, sodium and triglyceride levels were way up too. For that matter my levels were no doubt high even before the job assignment.

Ever since then I concentrate on getting a mixture of 4 to 5 servings of veggies a day. A couple servings of fruits also! I've been fine for years, but still have to take those pills. With me it is definitely is a matter of health. I never disliked any vegetables (well, except squash). For years a couple of my friends would eat out with me at a buffet restaurant. "How can you eat that green cr*p?" (referring to beans, broccoli, etc.) They would always carp on me about following a rigid diet. I told them if I would have eaten more of that green cr*p in my 20's and 30's, I wouldn't be so critical about what I'm eating now.

And trust me, when you're a bachelor in your 30's you still think you're bullet proof. You're not.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I came down down with hypertension at age 33. Yep! 33.

I just came off a 7 month construction assignment working in New Mexico on a 183 mile pipeline job. 6 days a week, 12 hours a day. Few of the motels available had kitchennettes, You grabbed what rooms you could grab as I didn't have a camper trailer to cook my own meals.

Looking back over two decades later, I have my doubts whether I had any oatmeal or dry cereal for breakfast and for that matter any vegetables in my diet. Restaurants would stay open in the small towns we stayed in. You grabbed what you could grab.

After the layoff, it was party time for a few weeks as I hadn't seen relatives or friends in several months. Woke up one morning and felt lousy, as if I worked a 12 hour shift. Two days later i went to the doctor. My numbers were, um, not good. Cholesterol was way over 300, sodium and triglyceride levels were way up too. For that matter my levels were no doubt high even before the job assignment.

Ever since then I concentrate on getting a mixture of 4 to 5 servings of veggies a day. A couple servings of fruits also! I've been fine for years, but still have to take those pills. With me it is definitely is a matter of health. I never disliked any vegetables (well, except squash). For years a couple of my friends would eat out with me at a buffet restaurant. "How can you eat that green cr*p?" (referring to beans, broccoli, etc.) They would always carp on me about following a rigid diet. I told them if I would have eaten more of that green cr*p in my 20's and 30's, I wouldn't be so critical about what I'm eating now.

And trust me, when you're a bachelor in your 30's you still think you're bullet proof. You're not.
DOUBLE H, this is a matter of life and death. Please eat what you can eat that are vegetables. No problem skipping the squash and whatever else you can't stand. Sometimes you can use spices that will help. You have GOT get those numbers down.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,300,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
DOUBLE H, this is a matter of life and death. Please eat what you can eat that are vegetables. No problem skipping the squash and whatever else you can't stand. Sometimes you can use spices that will help. You have GOT get those numbers down.
If I read the post correctly his visit to the doctor was a "couple of decades ago;" the fact that he's still alive would suggest that he did get the numbers down.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Ah, well that's good, especially since many doctors are a bit behind when it comes to nutrition. My wife knew more about it than the doctor did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food