Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 09:30 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,468,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
If I read the post correctly his visit to the doctor was a "couple of decades ago;" the fact that he's still alive would suggest that he did get the numbers down.
I'd be curious to know what they are now though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 03:54 AM

4 posts, read 3,108 times
ya,both..
thanks......

Old 05-19-2012, 04:01 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I want to be a vegetarian for both reasons.
Our meat supply isn't safe (abx, hormones, prions).
And I kind of hate the idea of killing a living, feeling creature...for any reason.
Pretty much my entire extended family (just not my immediate family) is vegetarian and has been for centuries...they are all long-lived and healthy people.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,807,541 times
I'm a vegan for several reasons. Its better for the environment. It saves resources like fresh water and cuts down on the amount of land that is needed to feed people. It doesn't torture and imprison other creatures for my eating habits. It is also healthier. There are also very real arguments forming now that are illustrating that meat & dairy are linked to cancer and should be avoided. I recommend anyone who disagrees with that to read The China Study in its entirety. I have seen several converts after the reading of that book.

Old 05-23-2012, 02:32 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Hi sorry I haven't read the whole thread, but my reason for being vegetarian is not for either reason. Its not for health and its not because of cruelty to animals.
I don't think meat eating is necessarily cruel to animals. If you eat organic meats, most of those animals have had a pretty good life. In the UK recently there was a big campaign by British chefs to expose the treatment of certain animals bred for meat, particularly chickens and pigs, in which they showed the whole process of animal husbandry through to slaughter. The slaughter process if done correctly, is pretty humane in my view, over in literally one or two seconds. I think if you are going to eat meat and you are aware of the process, then fine, go ahead.
That's why I have no problem with others eating meat. It has been going on since humans evolved. It's a personal choice.

However, its not my choice. I have never liked it as in my mind its just a totally alien concept. You might as well ask me to eat a human arm. The thought of eating anything that once lived I find completely repellant. But not for cruelty to animals per se.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:05 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwifruit2 View Post
Are you vegetarian for health reasons or because of animals? Or both? Just curious.
^^ This ^^ is the OP's question, folks. Let's stick to that, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food