Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 AM

994 posts, read 1,592,190 times

Advertisements

I'm currently the only vegetarian in my family and sometimes I get crap for it. I'm also the only one not on some medication or vitamin supplements or any of that other crap. My parents will offer me chicken to eat and I turn them down all the time simply because I don't eat the stuff anymore. Cheese crackers? Same thing; no, I don't want cheesy crackers with the pig guts in them. Sometimes when I turn down stuff they make a big deal out of it. Does anyone here think that family members sometimes get too emotional over your choice of being a vegetarian?

Old 07-29-2012, 01:00 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Not in a long time but at first they did. Especially my in-laws who are crazy anyway.

At this point they know better not to mess with me about this topic.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:29 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,862,543 times
I'm fortunate that my own family are very forgiving toward Vegan/ Vegetarianism- I'd say it was about a 50/50 split between Omnivores and Vegetarians (my family has a Seventh Day Adventist background although not all are practicing).

My inlaws however are a tad confused by it. My father in law is actually the most understanding of it- but ordinarily I just don't approach the subject with them. When I'm visiting though I do 99% of the cooking. My DH will put steak or something on the grill if he and his fam are craving meat, but all of the wonderful desserts and veggie sides come from me. As long as I'm doing the cooking they don't complain!

It must be awful not having a family that respects your decision to be a Veg*n. Just stick to your guns though- you know you're doing the right thing for your health, for animal welfare, and the planet

Good Luck to you!

Old 08-01-2012, 08:48 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
I think it might vary depending on several factors (one of which being, of course, how open your family is in general), but if you don't insist that a special meal be prepared for you when everyone else is NOT a vegetarian, and you're not judgmental yourself about those who aren't vegetarian (though "pig guts" does sound like you might have some leanings that way, maybe it's just your family is judgmental and you came by it naturally), then I can't see why anyone would have a problem with what you eat or care one way or the other, as long as you're really healthy. If your health is being impacted (and I've seen many a vegetarian who claimed to be healthy when they were clearly anything but, just as I've seen healthy vegetarians), I can see your family getting emotional, of course, because they love you. But other than the caveats mentioned above, there shouldn't be issues.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,852,547 times
My family is excellent! Almost all of them have come to be vegan or vegetarian themselves after seeing the benefits and the logic of a meat-free, cruelty-free diet.

I am very happy to say that no animals are ever harmed for the preparation of meals in my home.

I am also very proud that my three children have learned that meat-free, cruelty-free, is the best way to live.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:44 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
I had a really horrible experience with my MIL about 17 years ago. She invited us for Christmas dinner knowing full well that we had been vegetarians for about 10 years.

We arrived at her house on Christmas day HUNGRY. She's a good cook and usually made Spinach Lasagna for on on holidays. (As usual, the non-veg people always dug in too)

She had a ham, a turkey and a Lasagna on the table - also salad, sweet potatoes and string beans. We naturally thought the Lasagna was for us. My husband was about to take a piece when she called out "DON"T EAT THAT - I FORGOT IT HAS BEEF IN IT!" ....Yeah right she forgot.

Passive aggressive wench.

We left and went to a Greek Diner. How does one "forget" and ADD MEAT??? They don't. She set us up to look difficult and so she could play Martyr which is what she does best.

Leaving OUT meat is easier than putting it in. and less costly.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:19 PM

428 posts, read 1,184,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
I'm currently the only vegetarian in my family and sometimes I get crap for it. I'm also the only one not on some medication or vitamin supplements or any of that other crap. My parents will offer me chicken to eat and I turn them down all the time simply because I don't eat the stuff anymore. Cheese crackers? Same thing; no, I don't want cheesy crackers with the pig guts in them. Sometimes when I turn down stuff they make a big deal out of it. Does anyone here think that family members sometimes get too emotional over your choice of being a vegetarian?
My parents weren't impressed when I became vegetarian and they thought I was nuts when I went vegan. I was 26 and not living at home, so they had pretty limited control over it. They were worried about my kids nutrition, however, I saw I dietician and now they see how well fed and healthy my kids are that they brag about our healthy lifestyle to others. They are proud of us, even though they still eat meat. They never bothered my wife when she was pregnant about getting calcium, protein etc. It doesn't hurt that I'm in the best shape of my life, I weight lift, run 4 times a week and do bikram yoga 3-4 times a week. Nobody ever asks me about protein now. All of my brothers are overweight and unhealthy. They come to me now for advice about food and exercise.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:05 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,080,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
... but if you don't insist that a special meal be prepared for you when everyone else is NOT a vegetarian, and you're not judgmental yourself about those who aren't vegetarian (though "pig guts" does sound like you might have some leanings that way, maybe it's just your family is judgmental and you came by it naturally), then I can't see why anyone would have a problem with what you eat or care one way or the other, as long as you're really healthy.
What you mean to say is if you completely hide the fact that you're vegetarian from people then they won't care, but the minute you expect to have some food to eat at dinner, say anything about it, or otherwise make your thoughts and feelings known....well then there is a problem.

Many meat eaters exist in a sort of blissful denial, they know about all the bad things that happen to animals...but they eat them anyways. Thus, when confronted with a vegetarian they often lash out to satisfy their own psychological misgivings. Of course...there are some people that don't care either (usually men)...they tend to just make fun of vegetarians. So you may not "see why" people would have a problem with it, but many people have a problem with it....for some reason or another.

Do you eat horses?

Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Nope, that's not what I mean to say. It may be what you WANT me to have meant to say to support your own agenda, but I know what I meant to say and I said exactly what I meant. If you, as a vegetarian, make an issue of either everyone being vegetarian or someone else going to extra trouble to prepare you a special meal, then, yes, people are eventually going to be irritated with you and think you're doing it to be high maintenance. If, on the other hand, you either eat what vegetables are available or prepare something for yourself, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

By the way, from birth to age 20 I was a Very Very Picky Eater. There was very little that I would eat, and I learned early on that the appropriate way to do that when eating with others was to eat what I liked of what was offered without making a fuss, and to eat something more when I got home. I would have been mortified to make an issue that I didn't/couldn't eat what was served, as it would been a display of the most appalling manners. But, with that experience, I do recognize that SOME vegetarians, by their attitudes of superiority and poor behavior, have some responsibility for making it difficult for most vegetarians to be taken seriously.

No, I don't eat horses, and I work in equine rescue. However, I am well aware that the U.S. is in the minority worldwide in not eating horsemeat, and I don't judge people who do. The arrogance of that stance is breathtaking to me. I also am well aware that animals die in order to feed me (and in nature I would probably die to feed other animals - it's the natural cycle of things and I don't pretend that I'm somehow better than other animals because I can step outside of my place in that cycle - I respect them too much to do that). I'm also well aware, actually living with animals that are raised for food, that it is possible to do it while giving them exceptional lives from birth to death (everything from good food and water and companionship of their own kind and room to roam to back rubs and the occasional beer) and that an animal that is frightened when slaughtered releases adrenaline, which taints the meat and can be tasted so it's best for all sorts of reasons, from compassion to quality of food, to make sure that's as unfrightening as possible.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,831,342 times
Well. All I can say is that you're pretty judgmental for someone who claims to be NON-judgmental.

Oh, I will also add that this is the OP's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireandice1000 View Post
Does anyone here think that family members sometimes get too emotional over your choice of being a vegetarian?
Since you're not vegetarian, I don't even know how you can really answer that question, since it's not an issue you have to face. (Being a "Very Very Picky Eater" just isn't the same thing.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food