Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:38 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmbjbb View Post
Have not tried either of these.

All I know of them, you have to stand over them and stir constantly and I have mobility issues and can't stand for that long. Will check into the process again.

Really gonna check my vegan cookbooks more as well. I do have Veganomicon along with others.
I can't remember in which of his books but Jacques Pepin described a method of putting the rice and other ingredients in a dutch oven and making the risotto in an oven, I kinda find the stirring therapeutic but the oven method might work for you. I tried it once and not bad, you can always ad a tbsp. of cream or so if necessary to give it that risotto creaminess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM

302 posts, read 499,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I can't remember in which of his books but Jacques Pepin described a method of putting the rice and other ingredients in a dutch oven and making the risotto in an oven, I kinda find the stirring therapeutic but the oven method might work for you. I tried it once and not bad, you can always ad a tbsp. of cream or so if necessary to give it that risotto creaminess.
Will check some recipes. Can't have the cream as I am allergic to dairy.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:35 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Will check some recipes. Can't have the cream as I am allergic to dairy.
With the right rice you should get enough starch to not need the cream. The dairy allergy would kind of eliminate a traditional risotto finished with butter and parmigiano reggiano.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:00 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
I make rice a lot in our house. It's cheap and very versatile. Last night - the pot of rice I made was one of my family's favorite and for the first time, I had no left overs.

3 cups water, 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice. I added 2 cubes of vegan chik'n bouillon, a pinch of sage and a pinch of thyme and cooked normally.

Would like other ideas for some rice that just seems to "wow" the family.

I like to cook it in chick'n bouillon also. I like sage and time too! I mix it up though, and sometimes I add dill and fresh parsley.

We prefer brown rice. Jasmine is wonderful too, that needs nothing IMO.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I like to use "Not Chick'n" cubes and some chopped fresh jalapenos and cook in my rice cooker. Then just before serving I top with fresh tomato and cilantro.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:21 AM

117 posts, read 202,077 times
Default Look at the label of the stock cubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I like to use "Not Chick'n" cubes and some chopped fresh jalapenos and cook in my rice cooker. Then just before serving I top with fresh tomato and cilantro.
I bet if it says "natural spices" that it is really just turmeric. Turmeric is bright yellow and has a chicken-y flavor, which is why it's used in vegetarian items. I used to buy this bulk item that was a fake chicken broth powder and when I looked at the ingredients, I realized it was cheaper to just buy the turmeric.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
This may be old fashioned way, but I like to put some butter and olive oil in pan, get it hot, then add rice(cheap long grain), and toast it first. then add beef, chicken, shellfish, or veggie stock. When done add in fresh herbs or veg to steam in the hot rice. Works good, 'cept when I get a lil wild with the herbs.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:41 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,764,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
This may be old fashioned way, but I like to put some butter and olive oil in pan, get it hot, then add rice(cheap long grain), and toast it first. then add beef, chicken, shellfish, or veggie stock. When done add in fresh herbs or veg to steam in the hot rice. Works good, 'cept when I get a lil wild with the herbs.
That's rice pilaf.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:44 PM

861 posts, read 1,456,409 times
2:1 ratio. Two-four cups of water and 1-2 cup(s) of rice is usually sufficient. I put basil, some salt and two tablespoons of butter in.

If we have an excessive amount of rice, we just store it in a container in the fridge and eat it through-out the week.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:16 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,735,558 times
Try the indian spiced rice: fry 1 chopped onion on heated oil till brown, add 1 tea spoon of cumin seeds, a small stick of cinnamon bark & 2 bay leafs & stir fry for 2-3 mins. Then add 2 cups of washed basmati rice & stir to coat with oil for 2 mins. Last put 4 cups of water, season w/ salt & pepper. Let it cook in low flame till rice is done. Serve as side dish with pretty much anything. Yummmm!

PS: don't substitute the spices with powder versions. It won't taste the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food