Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 05:02 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,260,016 times

Advertisements

I hate eating veggies and greens. I have an easier time drinking them, esp if I can disguise them along with some fruit.
I don't have them as meal replacements, but I always snack between meals. I can have the juice instead of the bad snacks and it's helpful. I try to do salads or veggie dishes with my meals on the side, but I just can't keep up with it, or get my required veggie in-take everyday. This seems to be the only way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,825,167 times
I have tried to juice and blend using my own concoctions (and now almost primarily blend) and have learned that the books created for the smoothies have been a tried and tested success in the taste factor.

Combinations that may sound awful end up being surprisingly delicious. I have one (I hope I'm remembering the right ingredients) that is kale, nut milk (any will do), banana, peanut butter, stevia, and blueberries. I'm telling you, it's delicious! I sometimes add honey.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:26 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
A lot of the green smoothie recipes are candy like, which would explain their popularity, they are filled with sugars, fats,etc. Blending also effects the way the nutrients are digested, as such in some individuals it can promote weight gain.

I'd much rather eat vegetables with meals, green smoothies taste terrible unless they are filled with sugar, etc....which turns them into junk food despite the vegetable content.

Old 08-17-2013, 01:42 PM

79 posts, read 100,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
A lot of the green smoothie recipes are candy like, which would explain their popularity, they are filled with sugars, fats,etc. Blending also effects the way the nutrients are digested, as such in some individuals it can promote weight gain.

I'd much rather eat vegetables with meals, green smoothies taste terrible unless they are filled with sugar, etc....which turns them into junk food despite the vegetable content.
Man, there is so much ignorance there that I don't know quite where to begin.

I suspect you pulled all these opinions straight from your butt. You are incredibly misinformed.

"A lot of the green smoothie recipes are candy like, which would explain their popularity, they are filled with sugars, fats,etc. "

If by sugar, you mean whole apples blended in a Vitamix or other highspeed blender or whole peeled oranges, then yeah. But if you don't know the different between sugar from whole fruit (frutose + soluable and insoluble fiber) and refined sucrose, I don't know how to help you.

If by fat you mean raw organic extra-virgin coconut oil or a half an avocado, I wonder if you have ever washed coconut oil off a plate versus bacon grease. The latter does NOT dissolve in water while the former does. Saturated animal fat and plant fats are NOT equal!

Old 08-17-2013, 02:00 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raina starling View Post
Man, there is so much ignorance there that I don't know quite where to begin.
Perhaps next time you begin by addressing matters instead of insulting people you disagree with?

Quote:
"A lot of the green smoothie recipes are candy like, which would explain their popularity, they are filled with sugars, fats,etc. "

If by sugar, you mean whole apples blended in a Vitamix or other highspeed blender or whole peeled oranges, then yeah. But if you don't know the different between sugar from whole fruit (frutose + soluable and insoluble fiber) and refined sucrose, I don't know how to help you.
By sugar....I mean sugar. The sugars in whole fruit are no different than the sugars found in sweeteners, its the same molecule regardless. Sucrose, whether its in table sugar or fruit, is the same molecule. But while the sugars in fruit are no different, they are digested differently when whole fruit is consumed because the sugars are contained in the fruits cellular structure. And this is just the point, blending destroys this cellular structure and, in effect, refines the sugars contained in the fruit. Sugar + fiber is only significant when they are in their natural state, that is bound together in plant cells.

With that said, many smoothie recipes call for the addition of agave and other isolated and/or refined sugars.

Quote:
If by fat you mean raw organic extra-virgin coconut oil or a half an avocado, I wonder if you have ever washed coconut oil off a plate versus bacon grease. The latter does NOT dissolve in water while the former does. Saturated animal fat and plant fats are NOT equal!
All of the above applies to fats. Fats are just molecules. But fats that are contained in their natural package, that is in whole foods, are digested differently that fats that have been isolated (coconut oil) or from whole foods that have been blended.

I don't wash bacon grease or coconut oil off my plate because I don't consume either, but I'm not sure why you're mentioning them. But you're right, they aren't equal, most of the saturated fat in coconut are medium chain fatty acids where as in bacon they are long chain. To what degree this matters health wise is not known, the American heart associations suggests one limits saturated fat regardless of the source.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:54 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,767,731 times
I enjoy them (at least the ones that can be bought commercially) but the closest that I have come is squeezing oranges for juice. I know me and would not prepare one but if a significant other wanted to prepare one - I would guzzle it down in a heartbeat. I usually eat my fruit and vegetables the old-fashioned way.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
Green smoothies can be delicious without any extra sugar other than perhaps a small piece or two of fruit. I often add no fruit....just greens, lemon, some additives and some liquid stevia....the calorie content and sugar content are very low. When you add lots of ice, the smoothies are slightly thick and quite delicious. Some blenders don't have the power to liquefy some of the more fibrous vegetables so yes, half blended greens are not appealing....some just don't have the equipment or have the knowledge to make good tasting smoothies but it can be done - in fact I do it every day.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:53 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
Juicing reduces fiber content; blending does not.

Blending does the same job your teeth do on an apple or banana.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:57 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Juicing reduces fiber content; blending does not.

Blending does the same job your teeth do on an apple or banana.
Liquefying makes more vitamins and minerals available because skin and seeds are easily liquefied (and absorbed) and cellulose is broken down thus allowing more nutrients to be digested/absorbed and absorbed more quickly (cellulose makes up a large part of fruits and vegetables and is not digestible).

We liquefy AND eat lots of leafy greens and other vegetables throughout the day - the best of both worlds. No one suggested that drinking your leafy greens should replace eating raw or cooked greens.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 AM

639 posts, read 1,124,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post

We've already discussed this, as far as I'm concerned there are no credible sources stating that blending effects nutrients and fiber. Unless you can cite multiple, well-conducted published studies that conclude wholesome green smoothies are filled with sugar, lack fiber, and cause weight gain then there is reason to say that here.

As ohiogirl said it's juicing that reduces the fiber content, not blending. Blending is just a form of extreme chopping, whereas juicing is an actual chemical change of the fruits and veggies. Plenty of dietitians I know and work with recommend wholesome smoothies.

Some people just don't like whole veggies and prefer a smoothie. Better they get it from a smoothie than not eating any form of veggies.

Last edited by ThinkingElsewhere; 08-18-2013 at 09:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food