Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 03:25 PM

432 posts, read 1,660,365 times

Advertisements

As you can see,this question is probably something you had heard before,but your answer(s) could help me in my struggle of becoming a vegetarian. It is still difficult to fully transition into the vegetarian lifestyle and I have to admit that meat still tastes tasty,but it could all be the seasoning(s) and chemical(s)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 04:35 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,843 times
Factory farming is reason enough.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:43 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,035,845 times
One day we realized we hadn't had meat in a couple of days, so we just decided to stop eating it altogether.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:26 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Growing up, I found that if I stopped to think WHAT my meal used to be (for example, that hamburger was once a live cow), I couldn't eat it. Eventually I realized that, if it bothered me so much, I just shouldn't eat it! ()

So one day, approximately 20 years ago, I just stopped eating meat -- I've never gone back to it, and never regretted the decision.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:09 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,685,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezeboxgal View Post
Growing up, I found that if I stopped to think WHAT my meal used to be (for example, that hamburger was once a live cow), I couldn't eat it. Eventually I realized that, if it bothered me so much, I just shouldn't eat it! ()

So one day, approximately 20 years ago, I just stopped eating meat -- I've never gone back to it, and never regretted the decision.
Pretty much sums it up, became a vegetarian at 12 and will be turning 28 in a few days.

Vegan in the house.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:49 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Moderator cut: I was poisoned by wild berries, which is as serious as you can get.

I was brought back to health by a diet of Pacific Rock Snails, Klamath River Lamprey Eels roasted on redwood planks, and a couple bottles of Mylanta.

This turned me into a Pescatarian which I remained for several years and ate from the Pacific Ocean, The Atlantic Ocean, and the Gulf of Mexico.

When we settled inland where the soil was warm and fertile, we grew our own vegetables and became hard-core Organic Vegetarians.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-05-2009 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: No commenting on Moderator activity

Old 03-08-2009, 03:25 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,005 times
My vegitarian doctor put me into a strict one month vegitarian diet to help me with all my digestion health problems I had. After staying on teas, water, vegetables, soups and fruits for a month, I simply did not care for meat any more. Besides the food restriction, he ordered a series of colonics...painful, yuck..and eye opening.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:33 PM

62 posts, read 159,802 times
Honestly? How did I become a vegetarian?

Well, it started one day when I was walking on a hiking trail in a County Park near my home. In front of me, about 10 feet, was a huge crow, feeding on a dead squirrel. As I got closer, my last view of the spectacle before I turned my head, was the crow pulling a long string of intestine out of the animal and attempting to swallow it. I nearly threw up.

When I got to my lunch spot (a bluff with a nice view of the ocean), I pulled out my bologna & cheese sandwich, and found I couldn't eat it. I figured I was just grossed out from the crow horror, so I didn't give it much thought.

Later that night, I still hadn't eaten, and I was really hungry because I'd hiked for hours earlier. But nothing that I usually ate sounded good (what I usually ate always involved meat). The only thing that seemed palatable was some cinnamon apple sauce I had in the fridge, and some peanuts.

As the days and weeks passed, I couldn't get the crow/intestine iincident out of my mind. And I became very focused on the meat I was eating, seeing it in an entirely different way. For instance, a few weeks after the crow incident, I was eating a piece of fried chicken (the thigh) and I noticed a stringy thing close to the bone. I pulled on it, and it came off. I asked my co-worker (we were having lunch together at a Denny's) what she thought the stringly thing was, and she said she thought it was a vein or an artery.

I couldn't finish the chicken.

Suffice to say, that I started to see meat in an entirely different way. Instead of it being food, it started to become dead animals, complete with veins, arteries, connective tissue (that tough, stringy stuff in steak), and bones.

I thought I would get over it, but I never did. Over a year later, I still have no appetite or desire for meat, including fish. And forget eggs. I can't even look at a raw egg....I only see a chicken embryo. If I even know an egg is in the food I'm eating, it makes me nauseous.

I can't even walk by the raw meat section in the grocery store anymore...the smell nauseates me. All I smell is raw, decaying animal flesh.

I still eat dairy products, but they don't bother me. I don't see them as dead animal flesh or unborn birds. I don't eat a lot of dairy (it's not the mainstay of my diet), but it is definitely a small part of my diet.

After 35 years of eating meat, poultry, fish, and eggs, I now cannot fathom how people can eat the stuff?? I mean, it seems so primitive and animalistic. I understand why carnivorous animals eat other animals, but we humans, who have a choice, and can live quite healthily without meat, actually choose to eat the stuff? It's positively barbaric.

Oh, and in closing here, I want to add that prior to the crow incident, I had never given vegetarianism a single thought.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 AM

1,467 posts, read 5,130,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill1972 View Post
Honestly? How did I become a vegetarian?

Well, it started one day when I was walking on a hiking trail in a County Park near my home. In front of me, about 10 feet, was a huge crow, feeding on a dead squirrel. As I got closer, my last view of the spectacle before I turned my head, was the crow pulling a long string of intestine out of the animal and attempting to swallow it. I nearly threw up.

When I got to my lunch spot (a bluff with a nice view of the ocean), I pulled out my bologna & cheese sandwich, and found I couldn't eat it. I figured I was just grossed out from the crow horror, so I didn't give it much thought.

Later that night, I still hadn't eaten, and I was really hungry because I'd hiked for hours earlier. But nothing that I usually ate sounded good (what I usually ate always involved meat). The only thing that seemed palatable was some cinnamon apple sauce I had in the fridge, and some peanuts.

As the days and weeks passed, I couldn't get the crow/intestine iincident out of my mind. And I became very focused on the meat I was eating, seeing it in an entirely different way. For instance, a few weeks after the crow incident, I was eating a piece of fried chicken (the thigh) and I noticed a stringy thing close to the bone. I pulled on it, and it came off. I asked my co-worker (we were having lunch together at a Denny's) what she thought the stringly thing was, and she said she thought it was a vein or an artery.

I couldn't finish the chicken.

Suffice to say, that I started to see meat in an entirely different way. Instead of it being food, it started to become dead animals, complete with veins, arteries, connective tissue (that tough, stringy stuff in steak), and bones.

I thought I would get over it, but I never did. Over a year later, I still have no appetite or desire for meat, including fish. And forget eggs. I can't even look at a raw egg....I only see a chicken embryo. If I even know an egg is in the food I'm eating, it makes me nauseous.

I can't even walk by the raw meat section in the grocery store anymore...the smell nauseates me. All I smell is raw, decaying animal flesh.

I still eat dairy products, but they don't bother me. I don't see them as dead animal flesh or unborn birds. I don't eat a lot of dairy (it's not the mainstay of my diet), but it is definitely a small part of my diet.

After 35 years of eating meat, poultry, fish, and eggs, I now cannot fathom how people can eat the stuff?? I mean, it seems so primitive and animalistic. I understand why carnivorous animals eat other animals, but we humans, who have a choice, and can live quite healthily without meat, actually choose to eat the stuff? It's positively barbaric.

Oh, and in closing here, I want to add that prior to the crow incident, I had never given vegetarianism a single thought.
Thanks for sharing your experience!!!

Old 03-22-2009, 10:42 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,836,944 times
Every morning and evening the deer come out of the forest to visit. I feed them apples and pears. They come really close and most will even eat the fruit while I hold it in my hand. A couple of them will let me scratch their heads.

It wasn't always this way. Although I have been a vegetarian for many years, I used to be a hunter, and deer were among my favorite prey.

My last hunt was in 1963, and what happened not only put me on the road to becoming a non-meat eater, it was the beginning of a long spiritual journey.

It's too long to post here, but if anyone is interested in reading about it, I have it posted here:

http://hintlians.com/story/1963 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food