Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:51 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,045,477 times

Advertisements

This Thanksgiving we're having about twenty folks or so for thanksgiving dinner. About a third of the people are vegetarians of one type or another, the rest omnivores and a there is a "vaguely vegan" too but she says she will bring most of her own food so we shouldn't worry about getting the meal up to the level of vegan. The gluten free people won't be there this time so that will make things easier.

I'd like to bake a vegetarian main dish in this turkey shaped cake pan so the vegetarians can have their own special dish, too. Nordic Ware Turkey Cake Pan It doesn't especially have to taste like meat or turkey but I would like to be able to bake it and then serve it in slices. Got any good ideas or good recipes that would work for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 11:36 PM

Well, guess they get tofu loaf then, nobody seems to have any ideas.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:41 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Try this. It will easily fit into your lovely Nordic Ware turkey cake pan and you can do the cranberry glaze after it is baked. You might want to double the recipe, for the amount of people you are serving, and because in my experience, everyone will want to try it, some will prefer it, and you will have some hungry vegetarians/vegans on your hands when everyone tries a slice!

This is vegan, gluten free, slice-able and great on sandwiches.

The Ultimate Vegan Thanksgiving Loaf with Cranberry Glaze » I LOVE VEGAN

I have had it. It's delicious. It requires a bit of work, but it's worth it. You can easily make it a day or two in advance. It makes a beautiful presentation!

Old 11-18-2015, 11:28 AM

Thanks, Sheena! That will be perfect, especially with the cranberry glaze on the turkey shape. I found another interesting recipe while trying to figure out how to use the turkey pan, although it won't fit in the pan it looked like a viable alternative to the turkey: How to Make Vegducken, the Vegetarian Version of Turducken | Epicurious.com A squash baked inside a squash with sauces and things. I may make both although it depends on what squashes I can find.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:54 AM
C7C

101 posts, read 101,803 times
Re: turkey mold pan

If the guests are ethical veg., then it'll be perplexing when their food is in the shape of a turkey...

Old 11-19-2015, 02:39 AM

188 posts, read 663,102 times
I'm a vegetarian and I'd have no problem with a faux meat dish in the shape of a turkey. It's NOT a turkey, that's all that matters.

I usually get a quorn turkey and spruce it up. Much better than a yucky tofurkey (waaaaay too salty!).

Old 11-19-2015, 03:57 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,861,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C7C View Post
Re: turkey mold pan

If the guests are ethical veg., then it'll be perplexing when their food is in the shape of a turkey...
I don't think that should be a problem. Do people think they are cannibals when they eat gingerbread men cookies?

Old 11-20-2015, 09:05 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,662,025 times
You can google "Vegetarian Nut Loaf" or "Nut Roast" for recipe ideas. Protein-rich, hearty, and not processed "faux-meat" which turns some vegetarians off.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:19 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,182,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherz View Post
I'm a vegetarian and I'd have no problem with a faux meat dish in the shape of a turkey. It's NOT a turkey, that's all that matters.

I usually get a quorn turkey and spruce it up. Much better than a yucky tofurkey (waaaaay too salty!).
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I don't think that should be a problem. Do people think they are cannibals when they eat gingerbread men cookies?
I agree that there isn't actually anything unethical with eating a turkey-shaped loaf. However, given that there actually is the widespread practice of eating turkeys, most of which were raised in terrible conditions, there probably are people who wouldn't think making light of that practice would be very appetizing (or funny). Cannibalism doesn't really happen, but if it did, I bet people would view eating people-shaped food with some alarm. Staunch pro-lifers probably wouldn't find a joke about abortion very funny, even though the joke wouldn't actually kill any fetuses. That's not a perfect analogy, but it's probably the closes moral equivalent.

As an ethical vegetarian myself, I would mainly just be happy that my host had put so much preparation and foresight into the meal. I would think the turkey shape was a bit odd and unnecessary, but I wouldn't be offended.

Old 11-21-2015, 02:13 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
The name is revolting but the taste is wonderful -- may I suggest vegetarian haggis?

Vegetarian Haggis | BBC Good Food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food