Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 11:14 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
i didn't hide it. I just didn't talk about it.

Quote:
People are crazy about their diets in general, no one ever wants to change their diet, even if they are ill.

Tho who said anything about you having to change your diet tho? AND ITA…some ppl don’t make changes even when it’s a question of health with their smoking, sugar intake, obesity BUT if you know ppl like that, it’s even more important you do talk about it IMO.

Quote:
I was a vegetarian for 11 years. Never talked about it. You don't have to advertise.

AND how is talking about being a vegetarian with friends or family “advertising”? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 02-14-2022, 04:43 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,902,551 times
Quadruple bypass is unmanly. Men can get by very well without consuming animal flesh. Some of them win honors for their skills during sporting events. I imagine that colon cancer is very low in vegans, and vegetarians.

Old 03-04-2022, 12:52 PM

3,126 posts, read 1,013,961 times
"...BUT if you know ppl like that, it’s even more important you do talk about it IMO."

I did but with no results. None. I even send books and CD to friends to help them change their diet. Gave them links to websites, documentaries etc. I'm talking people with diabetes, obese etc. They never used the books. I had one friend, she was in Texas. She tried a clean diet (after reading the book that I send her) for 3 days and then gave up. She's dead now, died last year at 49. And left her two sons without a mother. She was a recent widow also. Her sons are 20 and 21 and they have no relatives (their parents were immigrants from Europe).

Old 03-04-2022, 01:00 PM

137 posts, read 199,723 times
Because society sees being health conscious as a "woman" thing. You know, a wife, mother, sister, aunt, grandmother nagging to eat better. It's weird because so lines are being blurred these days. Either way, good health is for everyone. The worst thing anyone can do, is to skip being healthy because someone is criticizing them. What a world...

Old 03-04-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanaj7 View Post

Because society sees being health conscious as a "woman" thing. You know, a wife, mother, sister, aunt, grandmother nagging to eat better. It's weird because so lines are being blurred these days. Either way, good health is for everyone. The worst thing anyone can do, is to skip being healthy because someone is criticizing them. What a world...

Ita…a lot of ppl do. But when I was single & dating ….if a man didn’t take good care of his health & fitness, it was a dealbreaker. Ofc not everybody is a vegetarian…(my husband isn’t)….but he does eat like a vegetarian sometimes. AND even more now..especially if I cook for him but when we go out too. IMO tho, it doesn’t take a super big commitment like being a strict vegetarian to eat nutritionally or be healthy & fit. Exercise is super important too.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

Tho who said anything about you having to change your diet tho? AND ITA…some ppl don’t make changes even when it’s a question of health with their smoking, sugar intake, obesity BUT if you know ppl like that, it’s even more important you do talk about it IMO.

Quote:

I did but with no results. None. I even send books and CD to friends to help them change their diet. Gave them links to websites, documentaries etc. I'm talking people with diabetes, obese etc. They never used the books.

Well….I didn’t mean that it’s your responsibility to make anybody change. They have to want to ofc. BUT you can let them know you care & want them to be healthy especially with stuff like Type II diabetes because it can be preventable most of the time.

How many obese friends do you know tho? What about getting together with your friends & show them ideas or ways to cook more healthy instead of sending them a book? Sharing a meal together would be a lot better way IMO. AND for exercise….just going for a walk with your friends can be a start or workout together online.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 03-04-2022 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-04-2022, 05:36 PM

1,107 posts, read 552,934 times
The sexiest trait anyone can have is confidence. You owe no one an explanation, nor do you need to convince anyone. Lead by example; just be sure to set a good one so others want to follow.

Old 03-05-2022, 10:47 AM

3,126 posts, read 1,013,961 times
Quote:

BUT you can let them know you care ...
How many obese friends do you know tho? What about getting together with your friends & show them ideas or ways to cook more healthy instead of sending them a book? Sharing a meal together would be a lot better way IMO. AND for exercise….just going for a walk with your friends can be a start or workout together online.
They know I care.

I have 3 obese friends. Two men and a woman. High school friends so we've been friends for decades. Two living in Europe and one in Canada. I'm in the US. So...I can't cook for them and then invite them here or go for a walk with them.

Someone mentioned confidence. The friend that lives in Canada...he has a lot of confidence, tons of it. He's very funny, relaxed...but obese. He got married recently (second marriage).

Old 03-05-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:

I have 3 obese friends. Two men and a woman. High school friends so we've been friends for decades. Two living in Europe and one in Canada. I'm in the US. So...I can't cook for them and then invite them here or go for a walk with them.

You can prepare a meal online or show them tips or workout together online. IMO that’s way more helpful & personal than sending a book. But that’s my thing as a content entrepreneur….beauty, health, fitness & relationships.

Quote:
Someone mentioned confidence. The friend that lives in Canada...he has a lot of confidence, tons of it. He's very funny, relaxed...but obese. He got married recently (second marriage).

Confidence about being obese? IMO that’s not healthy…it’s denial.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:43 PM

It's also denial to believe that obese people don't already know how to eat healthy and lose weight and that obesity contributes to many serious health issues. Teaching them what they already know is a waste of time. Like it or not, most people are avowed meat-eaters who are more likely to resent attempts to convert them than to change their behavior as a result.

I never impose my lifestyle choices on anyone, but often enough, people will question me about it, usually as a challenge to my authenticity or to try to debunk my reasons for being vegan. That's when I will take the opportunity to educate -- not to try to change their lifestyle, but to get them to accept mine. Once they can accept it, they will then be more open to the idea for themselves. I started out small. It took me 10 years to gradually go from a junk food meat-eater to a full-fledged vegan. My journey came about through exposure and curiosity, not from someone trying to pound their idea of sense into me.

Old 03-05-2022, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You can prepare a meal online or show them tips or workout together online. IMO that’s way more helpful & personal than sending a book. But that’s my thing as a content entrepreneur….beauty, health, fitness & relationships.
Personally, I would never do this to a close friend unless they asked me to. I'd rather focus on the qualities that enabled our friendship to endure for so long than point out a weakness and employ a passive-aggressive means to fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food