Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 08:24 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,151,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
You are in your 30s and servers tease you "in a somewhat mean way"?
No kidding. Were I OP, the server's tip would also be reduced "in a (definitely) mean way." To 0%.

Old 11-23-2020, 06:06 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenI69 View Post
No, it was in a small town though. The waitress giggled at me, and not in a nice way. It was more of a demeaning giggle. I didn’t like that.
Given she was young (probably late teens) and this was small town Appalachia, she probably never saw a vegetarian man or was raised by family to view them as beta males. I was stopping for lunch during a road trip.
Poor you! That load is a heavy one.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:09 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,404,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
No kidding. Were I OP, the server's tip would also be reduced "in a (definitely) mean way." To 0%.
Oh trust me, I didn’t tip for that meal. I even told my friends to reconsider eating there after that incident.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ofc...lots of men are vegetarian. BUT....it's a lot more manly if you are confident in you being you instead of looking for confirmation & approval from servers or strangers online about it IMO. AND.......why would servers always tease you in a mean way.......because of tips? It makes no sense.
Lol, I’m not looking for approval. I just want to make the server aware of my dietary choices.
Of course, I never have a problem in big cities. It’s quite customary to serve vegetarian customers there. But more isolated rural areas can get a bit iffy.
I just pack my own lunch these days and have a small hot logic box to keep it warm.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:37 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
Maybe this has to do more with the OP and how he handled the situation rather than men being vegetarians. I remember I was at a workshop one time and someone offered a Snickers bar to someone else. Instead of just saying no thanks, as a normal person would, she said “oh no thanks, I can’t because I’m a vegan“(unlike you dirty savages). Ok, I made up the savages part, but she might as well have said that with the way it sounded.

Me personally, I can’t stand the taste or smell of chocolate. So every time someone offers chocolate I just say no thanks. If someone gives me a gift of chocolate I thank them, and then take it home for my wife and daughter to eat. I don’t make it a point to tell everyone that chocolate repulses me and I can’t stand the thought of anyone possibly eating it. I don’t feel the need to tell everyone my culinary palate.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:38 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Why is anyone announcing anything?

My wife is vegetarian, and not one time has she ever announced she is so when eating out.

I find it strange to even have to announce it, hence the source of the joke;

"How do you tell if someone is a vegetarian?

"Don't worry, they will tell you every five seconds they are"
Even if you are vegetarian and an item looks vegetarian, it might not be. Not all independent restaurants will label items as vegetarian either.

Old 11-23-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Maybe this has to do more with the OP and how he handled the situation rather than men being vegetarians. I remember I was at a workshop one time and someone offered a Snickers bar to someone else. Instead of just saying no thanks, as a normal person would, she said “oh no thanks, I can’t because I’m a vegan“(unlike you dirty savages). Ok, I made up the savages part, but she might as well have said that with the way it sounded.

Me personally, I can’t stand the taste or smell of chocolate. So every time someone offers chocolate I just say no thanks. If someone gives me a gift of chocolate I thank them, and then take it home for my wife and daughter to eat. I don’t make it a point to tell everyone that chocolate repulses me and I can’t stand the thought of anyone possibly eating it. I don’t feel the need to tell everyone my culinary palate.
Like I said, There weren’t many vegetarian options on the menu, and it wasn’t clear to me which vegetarian items were available. Although, I have been to rural restaurants where they would cater for special needs like this. I asked the server “I’m a vegetarian and having a hard time finding items, is there any item you can recommend for me ?”. Usually they say “ok, here is what we can do” or “I’m sorry, you have to go elsewhere”. I was never criticized before this incident.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:03 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
I’m male, in my 30’s, and I believe in doing my part to protect the environment. And I have been vegetarian for a long time.
However, when I talk about the fact that I’m vegetarian, I always get teased by the server (in a somewhat mean way), or told by other guys sitting next to me I’m a disgrace among men...
Like, why is doing my part to help reduce my carbon footprint seen as “unmanly”. I just don’t get it. Doesn’t part of being “manly” involve respecting the environment around you ?
Quote:
Like I said, There weren’t many vegetarian options on the menu, and it wasn’t clear to me which vegetarian items were available. Although, I have been to rural restaurants where they would cater for special needs like this. I asked the server “I’m a vegetarian and having a hard time finding items, is there any item you can recommend for me ?”. Usually they say “ok, here is what we can do” or “I’m sorry, you have to go elsewhere”. I was never criticized before this incident.
So it was a one time event, therefore it's always?

Did you also mention protecting the environment and reducing your carbon footprint? Now that would get a reaction in most rural areas because they know that's a joke. Unless you're growing a garden in your backyard, hand dug with a shovel, and weeded with a hoe, you're contributing to the "carbon footprint." There are hundreds of reasons to be vegetarian, but carbon footprint isn't one of them.

Quote:
No, it was in a small town though. The waitress giggled at me, and not in a nice way. It was more of a demeaning giggle. I didn’t like that.
Given she was young (probably late teens) and this was small town Appalachia, she probably never saw a vegetarian man or was raised by family to view them as beta males. I was stopping for lunch during a road trip.
Noticed you took several swipes at rural folks throughout this thread. One teenager giggled at you is apparently justification to negatively stereotype an entire class of people.

Old 11-23-2020, 08:14 AM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I don’t have an issue with vegetarians, I just wish they’d stop trying to push their choices into everyone else.
I agree. Opening post is loaded with the usual virtue signalling talking points.

Old 11-23-2020, 11:30 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,583,293 times
Quote:
Lol, I’m not looking for approval. I just want to make the server aware of my dietary choices.

Why do you have to make the server aware of your dietary choices tho? Just tell them what you're ordering...ha. My fiance isn't a vegetarian but he will order vegetarian dishes or fish sometimes. He doesn't explain himself...he just orders something off the menu. Nobody has ever been mean to him or criticized him in a restaurant for ordering a vegetarian dish.

AND....you're looking for approval online because you posted it in the 1st place...confirmation that you are being manly for what you order in a restaurant. It makes no sense to me. Just do you....& order what you want. That's more manly IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food