Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times

Advertisements

If you have not been a vegetarian your whole life, perhaps you miss some foods you used to enjoy. I've been a veggy for about twenty-five years (I'm 59). A couple of things I miss... Scrapple either fried thin and crispy or thick and browned on the outside and soft inside. Served along with scrambled eggs, perhaps on toast as a breakfast sandwich. Tuna salad, this is a craving I've had for years. Used to be served at the cafeteria at work in a quartered tomato on a bed of green lettuce. .... I've got to stop writing now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 03:44 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
The last meat I missed was Arby's Roast Beef sandwhich, strange enough. I use to miss McDonald's cheeseburger...I think it was the warm ketchup/mustard/pickle combo, because now I get my fix at BK with the veggie burger "my way."

There is so many different fake-meat products now that I can satisfy my nostalgia whenever it crops up. Although I have to admit it would be hard to reproduce a veggie scrapple!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:03 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,749,891 times
Gross I know, but when I was a kid, I used to love liverwurst sandwiches with lots of mustard.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:08 PM

536 posts, read 2,154,503 times
Gyros and Shwarma ... but Falafal replaces that urge very well.

That's about the only meat, but since im vegan... I really miss cheese

Old 10-11-2008, 11:18 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
I have only been a vegetarian for 9 days and I miss red meat a lot. Particularly lamb, cheeseburgers, gyros and steak. I don't know how much longer this will last. I'm tempted daily and am hopeful that these cravings will subside. I still eat poultry but am getting really bored with it and never liked chicken or turkey as much as red meat and unfortunately, I don't like fish or seafood at all. I always said that if I could give up red meat, I'd be the perfect vegetarian. So I finally decided to try it. It's been tough but I'm hanging in there. Since I'm still eating chicken, I guess I'm not really a vegetarian. Just someone who has given up red meat and pork.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:23 PM

536 posts, read 2,154,503 times
I'm sure if you watch this video

http://www.meat.org

you will never want to eat meat again.

Just warning you, it might embed some awful images in your head. Im not promoting the video or anything but it swayed my decision to never eat meat again.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:31 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
I don't really miss anything since going veg.

Old 10-12-2008, 11:28 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
I have only been a vegetarian for 9 days and I miss red meat a lot ...
Perhaps this wasn't a good thread to start. I forgot about folks who look in this forum for information about changing their diets. I've been eating meatless for so long that I take it for granted. I will ask the mods to close or remove this thread.

That said, I hope Chinolala that you will enjoy some good new foods and don't fret too much about it. There is no test at the end or judges to appear before I got into a vegetarian diet gradually. For example, I'm not vegan (love cheese too much) but I don't want to eat eggs. However, I eat them three or four times a year at a church breakfast. I don't worry about those few times but think instead about the dozens I would have eaten when I was one of those folks who always had some in the fridge. Six eggs eaten vs many not.

When I changed I thought "How am I going to eat?!" But my tastes changed. It's funny but I really love broccoli And I loved the lunches I made from the salad bar at the work cafeteria. I was lucky to have a Seventh Day Adventist hospital in my community that provided community outreach and healthy living classes, including meatless cooking (SDA's are vegetarian). Oh some of the yummy dishes we made there. There we also learned about the designations of various types of vegetarians. There are vegans (no animal products) of course, and then there are lacto (dairy) and ovo (eggs) vegetarians. Most are lacto-ovo vegetarians (eat eggs and dairy). The teacher also discussed folks who eat fish or chicken but no red meat and call themselves vegetarians. So she suggested they are called "chicko-fisho" vegetarians

So don't worry about the foods you eat. Enjoy the new ones you discover, and did I say enjoy? You'll really start to feel good and you tastes will change.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
Perhaps this wasn't a good thread to start. I forgot about folks who look in this forum for information about changing their diets. I've been eating meatless for so long that I take it for granted. I will ask the mods to close or remove this thread.
Personally, I don't see a problem with this thread. There's nothing wrong with missing certain foods that you no longer eat. I rely on a lot of meat analogs, and I know that many vegetarians won't go near those -- but without them, I'd really miss a lot of foods (and I've been vegetarian for more than 20 years now)!

Old 10-12-2008, 07:48 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
I agree with squeezeboxgal. Besides, it is good for people struggling cutting out meat to know that there are enough of us that miss certain foods, even after years, and that we are still sane and very happy with our choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Vegetarian and Vegan Food