Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:49 PM

12 posts, read 83,109 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I would love the perspective of someone living in Ventura.
My husband and I both went to college and lived in Santa Barbara for most of our 20's. We are currently in Oregon for grad school but I graduate in 8 months and are planning to move back to California. We are looking to move to a smaller coastal town that we will eventually be able to buy a house and raise a family. Quality of life is very important to us- read nice weather, good surf, nature close by.. All of which Ventura has, without the Santa Barbara price tag or the feeling that you live in a perfect bubble. With the objective stats, Ventura is what we are looking for, but we really haven't spent any time hanging out there (besides surfing at C street) and don't know anyone living there. Are there many couples in their late 20's/ early 30's starting families? How is are the schools? What is Ventura culture like? Which neighborhoods are a good value? I know the Avenue is a bad area, is it getting any better? (I love the spanish style houses around there and proximity to the beach.) From looking at houses online, we love midtown with the older houses and proximity to the beach. I think east Ventura is too cookie cutter for us.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 09:41 AM

26 posts, read 194,004 times
Well, it's slightly cheaper...but not much. I lived in Ventura for years. Oxnard most of my life. My husband wants to go back, but I refuse. The houses are just too pricey for us, unless you're looking in a bad neighborhood.
Living there is nice. It's still small, but growing very fast, so it might not be for very long. I miss parts of it, and would like to live in a town about that size--but the weather in Ventura is unchanging. Beautiful, but unchanging, and 360 days of sunshine can get monotonous. I am envious of you in Oregon.
There's also lots of homeless now. We lived not far from the beach, off Victoria, which is a main drag. Nice area.
All in all I'd say I'm not going back, but I have my reasons. I think it's too expensive, but you may not. Schools are ok, I think. It's a nice place, but it's not the quaint beach town you are picturing, unless you live right on the beach...with the stoners and hippies. Lots of gang-bangers too, the next town over (Oxnard) sort of drags it down.
Just..spend some more time there before you decide.
as

Old 09-26-2007, 09:42 AM

26 posts, read 194,004 times
Well, it's slightly cheaper...but not much. I lived in Ventura for years. Oxnard most of my life. My husband wants to go back, but I refuse. The houses are just too pricey for us, unless you're looking in a bad neighborhood.
Living there is nice. It's still small, but growing very fast, so it might not be for very long. I miss parts of it, and would like to live in a town about that size--but the weather in Ventura is unchanging. Beautiful, but unchanging, and 360 days of sunshine can get monotonous. I am envious of you in Oregon.
There's also lots of homeless now. We lived not far from the beach, off Victoria, which is a main drag. Nice area when you get back into the homes, but homeless on a lot of streetcorners.
All in all I'd say I'm not going back, but I have my reasons. I think it's too expensive, but you may not. Schools are ok, I think. It's a nice place, but it's not the quaint beach town you are picturing, unless you live right on the beach...with the stoners and hippies. Lots of gang-bangers too, the next town over (Oxnard) sort of drags it down.
Just..spend some more time there before you decide.
as

Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,065,699 times
Wanna split a place?

My wife and I (late-20's) are planning to move to Ventura in a month or so. I'm only half-joking when I ask if you'd have any interest pooling resources to get (rent) a nice place on the hill overlooking Midtown (like the places above Poli St. or up Kalorama). Those are some spectacular views, and a good place to get a taste of Ventura life.

If I didn't have travel plans first, I'd definately consider starting a family in Ventura, and I'd aim for midtown, as it seems to have the most excitement. Plus there's C-street (and some other less-well-known good spots nearby), the Amtrak station, and the Fairgrounds.

Cre8 knows a lot about the commute in to LA, if you're thinking of doing that. If you want more info, you can send me a direct message via the private message function of the message board (click on my name).

Good luck! Maybe I'll see you in the water.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:23 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,233,328 times
My husband & I (both in our 30s) moved to Ventura about 3 years ago from LA. It's a beautiful place, and it seems like a great place to raise a family (Ventura is very kid-friendly). If you're into seeing bands & indie movies 'n stuff it might not be the place for you. If you're into going to fairs and surfing and the beach then you'll probably love it.

We are more into the bands & movies and find ourselves driving down to LA more and more and more as the years go by. We're pretty bored here and are planning to sell our house & move to Austin. The drive to LA, fyi, can be as little as 45 minutes to 2 1/2 hours. We usually leave about 1 1/2 to 2 hours before we have to be somewhere. If it's late at night, we figure about an hour. Also, keep in mind that if you travel a lot, LAX CAN be 3 hours away (depending on traffic). Burbank doesn't have as many non-stop flights but it's closer and a much nicer airport.

Not all the houses in East Ventura are "cookie cutter", fyi. The houses in mid-town are super cute and do tend to be a bit more eclectic than East Ventura (which is more residential), but almost all of them are TINY. Like, really really tiny. And expensive as hell. I would stay away from the Avenue, by the way. It's can be somewhat sketchy. It really depends on what street you're on. Some of the streets in west Ventura look pretty decent, and then the next 3 streets are kind of scary where the houses are pretty much covered in trash. The foothills like the person above mentioned are totally amazing. It really depends on what you can afford, though.

To sum up the neighborhoods:

Midtown: Really cute & eclectic. Near the downtown area & beach. Smaller houses, and more expensive.

Foothills: Super expensive but beautiful! Views of the ocean.

The Avenue/historical district: Some streets are nicer than others. I imagine it will be gentrified at some point, but I have no idea of when. Personally, I wouldn't want to live there. Close to downtown & beach. WAY more affordable than the rest of Ventura, but houses are smaller.

East Ventura: A bit more difficult to describe. There are pockets of really nice areas and pockets of crappy ones. There's definitely some tract housing going on but not everywhere. More residential. Not as close to the beach or downtown as the other places, but you can get to the beach/downtown area in 10 minutes... sometimes less. Also, more affordable and the houses are a bit bigger.

From what I understand, the schools in Ventura are fantastic. Like, some of the best in California.

We're planning on selling our house soon, if you're interested. It's a 3 bed, 2 bath (in, you guessed it, East Ventura). It's very cute and not "cookie-cutter" at all, actually. Also, it's only about 6 miles to the beach. Message me if you're interested at all! I'll email you pictures, if you want. If neither of us uses realtors, we can save on the realtor fees! We haven't set a price for it yet, but probably will be less than $600K. (we're still trying to go through our mountains of clutter to get it ready to show)

Old 10-07-2007, 08:20 PM

12 posts, read 83,109 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks for your posts, I appreciate your perspectives. I really can't wait for the sunshine! We won't be moving until late spring. I will definitely look into East Ventura bit more, as far as neighborhoods go.
How is the job market? I will be an occupational therapist and my husband will probably be looking for something in business and/ or social services. It would really be ideal to have local jobs and not commute north to SB or south to LA area.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:14 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post
I will definitely look into East Ventura bit more, as far as neighborhoods go.
How is the job market? I will be an occupational therapist and my husband will probably be looking for something in business and/ or social services. It would really be ideal to have local jobs and not commute north to SB or south to LA area.
Your first take on east Ventura vs. mid-town had me in agreement with you. East Ventura is quite the cookie-cutter, no character "Thousand Oaks" wannabe. Nothing wrong with that unless you hate that kind of thing. I lived in mid-town near Seaward and Thompson for many years in my late 20s to early 30s (slightly older now) and loved it. Loved the 1920s era houses, close by to all destinations, walk/bike everywhere, beach close by, downtown clubs (used to be a bit rowdy back then), Ventura Theater for concerts. Nice. The homeless and hippies hanging around downtown and the waterfront are just a part of life in Ventura. Get used to it. Mostly they don't bother you aside from asking for a buck or two. Just say no and walk on. They're used to it. Or, give them a couple of bucks if the mood strikes you. They always say, "thank you," and sometimes say, "God Bless." Either way NP.

The future of the west county is bright. There are a lot of interesting plans in the works for both Ventura and Oxnard. Work-wise you're in a pretty good spot, particularly if you can stand commuting up to 40/50 miles one way. If so, you open yourself to job markets from SB/Goleta to Santa Monica, San Fernando Valley/LA (take Metrolink) and Santa Clarita. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:23 AM

640 posts, read 3,075,853 times
Maybe weather patterns and schools have changed since I lived in Ventura from 1980 - 1990. We lived on Harbor Blvd in the Ventura Keys for a few years. The first year we lived there we had fog what seemed like every day, all day, the whole year. It was depressing and cold. Nothing worse than wearing jackets in July. Main Street rolled up at 6:00 pm with the exception of a few restaurants. Sometimes you could even see the fog actually roll up Main Street. Quite an experience.

We then moved to East Ventura, Ralston and Victoria areas. Fog was a little less in those areas but still way too cold and breezy for me. I would look forward to Santa Ana winds just to warm it up. Maybe I just like warmer weather and if you like cooler weather, Ventura would be good for you. I also agree that mid-town has really cute litte houses. I've had friends that lived there and they are really small. I'd pick East Ventura as the best place to live.

I also had mixed feelings on our elementary school experience at the time. My 1st grader was put in a "bi-lingual" class. She learned next to nothing that year because they concentrated on Spanish more than other subjects. Needless to say, we were not pleased.

Just some things to think about and not dashing your hopes to Ventura living. I'm sure things have improved over the years. I do have a lot of sentimental ties to Ventura and enjoyed many things about Ventura. My children were all born there, my brother lives there and my mother is buried there... so I'm still drawn to the area. But, if I had to do it over now, I'd move to Camarillo or the Thousand Oaks areas. Nicer weather, and great shopping. Hopefully the employment situation is better than the time period I was there as well. I know being in the healthcare field is a great place to be.

Best of luck!

Old 01-09-2008, 07:59 PM

16 posts, read 36,761 times
Default Ventura: Croc of Uggs, Bureaucrats and Druggy Beyond Beach Bums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauri View Post
Hi,
I would love the perspective of someone living in Ventura.

My husband and I both went to college and lived in Santa Barbara for most of our 20's. We are currently in Oregon for grad school but I graduate in 8 months and are planning to move back to California. We are looking to move to a smaller coastal town that we will eventually be able to buy a house and raise a family. Quality of life is very important to us- read nice weather, good surf, nature close by.. All of which Ventura has, without the Santa Barbara price tag or the feeling that you live in a perfect bubble. With the objective stats, Ventura is what we are looking for, but we really haven't spent any time hanging out there (besides surfing at C street) and don't know anyone living there. Are there many couples in their late 20's/ early 30's starting families? How is are the schools?

What is Ventura culture like? Which neighborhoods are a good value?

I know the Avenue is a bad area, is it getting any better? (I love the spanish style houses around there and proximity to the beach.)

From looking at houses online, we love midtown with the older houses and proximity to the beach. I think east Ventura is too cookie cutter for us.
Any opinions would be appreciated.
Your belief about the Avenue as a "bad area" is false. While many stucco covered boxes sit on the near tree lacking streets of West Ventura and many of the folk who live there are Mexican Highlanders, the acts of those who live there do not make the area bad.

What is Bad about Ventura?

40-year old drunk, druggies ride skateboards from the corner of East Main and Santa Clara to the corner of West Main and Ventura Avenue -- and they do so 24 hours a day.

Across from the San Buenaventura Mission, heroin addicts ride out their lastest fix passed out upon the small grass commons.

Dog Crap Beach

You find on Seaward Village Beach, at the end of South Seaward Avenue and a favorite hangout of Ventura's finest homeless alcoholics, many arrogant Venturians breaking as routine the No Dogs Allowed on Beaches City Ordinance .

These disrepectful, quasi-bestialists, force you to dodge the unpleasant droppings of their dogs.

Pacific View Mall

Obese 16-to-24 girls showing way too much skin stroll the mall trawling for googling eyes of gangbanger wannabes. As a step up from a flea market, few shops at this mall offer any goods worth buying.

County Seat

As the center of governance in Ventura County, Ventura acts as a magnet for welfare seeking folks who want to stick out their hands and demand that taxpayers fund their living.

Worse, bureaucrats by the hundreds work and live in this city, knowing that without Welfare Beggars and burdensome regulatory rules, these paper shuffling, no-skilled bureaucrats would be out of their jobs.

Greedy Faux Hippies

You find in Ventura the kind of folks that show you why California has as many problems as it does.

Driving their luxury cars, wearing their Uggs, tooling about on their gas-powered Razor skateboards, many of these folks have the intellect of 15 year olds stored up in their 40-to-50 something bodies.

These are the kind of folks who go around saying "What do you mean I cannot let my dog run without a leash, crap everywhere and knock over your kid. It is just a dog, part of my family and I love him!"

These are the kind of folks who slap Crocs on their boys, effeminizing their offspring males.

What is Good about Ventura?

Emma Wood and San Buenaventura State Park Beaches

Since taxpayers from all over California pay to maintain these beaches, these beaches tend to be free of garbage, sticks. Also, most days, few folks come to these beaches.

Grant Memorial Park

You can see down the shoreline of Channel Island City as well as rooftops of Old Town Ventura from this great hilltop.

Nearness to Santa Barbara

Hop in your car and within 30 minutes you can walk State Street and eat in the many fine eateries in Santa Barbara.

Ventura Theatre

If you are under 50, from time to time, Has-Beens back on tour make their way to the Old Ventura Theatre. You can catch 50-to-60 year old guys still trying to act like 20-somethings.

Beach at Ventura Harbor

The Ventura Harbor village sits begging for tourists to spend their travel dollars at lousy eateries and t-shirt shops. A few dockyards offer you good places to berth your boat.

The wide beach, where few go, gives you much room to play. Here, you can watch the dance of smashing waves during winter storms.

Where to Live in Ventura?

Pierpont Beach

One to Two Million Dollar houses line the side streets leading to Pierpont Beach west of Pierpont Boulevard. Watch yourself as you cross Pierpont on foot. Even the folks who live here will run you over as they speed in their cars.

Poli Hills

Million dollar houses fill the hillside East Ceder Street, on and north of Poli Street until north of the VC Medical Center. Living up here, you will see Acacapa Island and parts of Santa Cruz Island for much of the year.

Hospital and Schools

In this neighborhood east of North Seaward Avenue, north of Loma Vista, west of Hillmont and south of Poli, you find many good, yet small, bungalow-like houses.

Old Midtown Ventura

Forgetting Channel Drive itself, you find many bunglow-like houses in the neighborhood east of South Seaward, north of Channel Drive, south of east Ocean Avenue and west of South Joanne Avenue.

Two druggie apartment house complexes ruin parts of this neighborhood -- one at the east end of Channel Boulevard at the corner of Valmore Street and one in the middle of Valmore Street.

Brady Bunch Land

East of Angus Drive and west of Court Avenue between Foothill and Loma Vista, you find a neighboodhood filled with 1960s era buildcraft. While not the most charming, at least each house here has its own look.

Pierpoint Keys

West of Harbor Boulevard, east of Pierpoint Avenue and south of Peninsula Street you find the Pierpont Keys. For those who want to dock their sailboat houseside, the Pierpoint Keys gives boaters access to the Ventura Harbor.

Marina Park at the corner of Pierpont and Greenlock gives you a great place to bring your children to play or to watch the sun paint the sky with setting colors.

Where not to Live?

East Ventura

You find yourself in Tractland Ventura when you go anywhere east of South Mills Road and West of South Mills Road, between Foothill Road and Bristol-North Bank Roads.

Old Town off East Main

If you want to find yourself among the many druggies, punks, alkies, petty thieves, then you the neighborhood of Old Town Ventura, east of South Ventura Avenue and west of the corner of Santa Clara and East Main between East Main and Santa Clara is the neighborhood for you.

Mostly filled with 1970s era apartment houses sprinkled with a few old Victorians and bungalows, this neighborhood acts as the walkthrough channel for shady folk strolling toward the heart of Old Town.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:13 PM

51 posts, read 287,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
My 1st grader was put in a "bi-lingual" class. She learned next to nothing that year because they concentrated on Spanish more than other subjects. Needless to say, we were not pleased.
i think that's awesome that your child had an opportunity to be exposed to multicultural children, guess you don't. did you know that ages 3-8 are critical years for brain growth in language development and brain cells not developed during that period will never grow. studies show children exposed to more than one language during this age range are more able to pick up other languages as adults. just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County