Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:13 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times

Advertisements

Well, this will definitely date me, but I'd like to know if the Esplanade Mall in Oxnard is still around. My sister would take me shopping there for my new high school clothes. I lived far from there so I had different outfits from the other girls, a very important high school issue! My sister is gone but I have good memories of mall-prowling there with her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 04:44 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Yes, it is, and it has expanded over the years.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:09 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
Well, this will definitely date me, but I'd like to know if the Esplanade Mall in Oxnard is still around. My sister would take me shopping there for my new high school clothes. I lived far from there so I had different outfits from the other girls, a very important high school issue! My sister is gone but I have good memories of mall-prowling there with her.
It is now the Esplanade Shopping Center. Not a mall anymore.

http://brixmor.propertycapsule.com/p...eplan/1451.pdf

Old 07-29-2015, 05:15 PM

I know it is in the LA area but we love the Grove next to Farmers Market.

The Grove

The Pacific View has kind of lost its appeal for us. The Oaks is where we prefer to go in Ventura County.

Also like the Collection but not as a destination shopping area. For us it is more of a place to eat and take in a movie.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:22 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,524,286 times
I really hated to see the Camarillo Outlet center being built. My mother lived in a seniors-only mobile home complex for many years next to that property, and prior to the outlet, that area had been open agriculture...flowers, as I remember. There just didn't seem to be the need for yet another outlet center.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurquoiseOne View Post
I really hated to see the Camarillo Outlet center being built. My mother lived in a seniors-only mobile home complex for many years next to that property, and prior to the outlet, that area had been open agriculture...flowers, as I remember. There just didn't seem to be the need for yet another outlet center.
Camarillo hardly had any shopping and no destination places for others to visit. The Camarillo outlet center changed that bringing in a solid retail tax base for the city. I love how it has turned out. Not sure what other outlet centers are in the area. You would have to travel out of the area to get to another one. Oxnard tried building one but that did not ever take off and it sits mostly empty.

Old 07-30-2015, 12:14 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I know it is in the LA area but we love the Grove next to Farmers Market.

The Grove

The Pacific View has kind of lost its appeal for us. The Oaks is where we prefer to go in Ventura County.

Also like the Collection but not as a destination shopping area. For us it is more of a place to eat and take in a movie.
Like I noted above, the paid parking there irks me. But that is a nice place once you stomach the paid parking.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:03 AM

55 posts, read 74,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Personally I think the Pacific View Mall, Simi Valley Town Center, and The Oaks Mall. Enclosed malls are getting outdated and too high end. I'd like to see them go away period, but if anything I'd like to see them redone as outdoor malls with more focus on dining and entertainment.
There are some of us who like indoor malls just fine. You say they're getting "too high end", but then you cite The Collection as the direction you'd like to see malls go? I guess that discount store Whole Foods is helping folks tow the austerity line.

Where did you learn that JcP and Sears will close? I primarily shop at Goodwill for shirts/tees, and most of their men's clothing are brands that are found mostly at JcP and Sears.

Yes Pacific View Mall is a sucky mall, but a major bus hub (Ventura Transit Center) is right behind it which brings in people from everywhere. There is only one (infrequent) Gold Coast Transit bus that reaches The Collection. Seems to me that The Collection is being built out to primarily serve the Riverpark community. The Collection may be growing, but so is Riverpark!

There will always be that low budget indoor air-conditioned mall for the everyday person, transient, and senior citizen looking to stretch their legs at 6am followed by a cup of joe or a Cinnabon.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
the collection small stores must be doing well because they are adding more clothing stores.

i think janss isn't doing well bc it's more geared for middle class shoppers and the oaks mall is more geared towards the suburban mom and working women with lots of extra cash. i didnt realize there were so many suburban moms in the area who spent lots of cash on clothes, but i saw them with my own eyes at the janss marketplace.

i think thousand oaks is having a hard time sustaining two malls.

oxnard has 200,000 population and then there is port hueneme. enough population to support the collection. i just don't know if the ventura mall will make it when sear's and jcpenney's go. it would need nordstrom's and a forever 21 department store to move in.
People from all over go to the Collection. I remember for years people that I worked with in Ventura saying that they would never go to Oxnard for anything and now many of these people go to the Collection. The Collection is bringing in people from a larger area than just Oxnard or Port Hueneme

Old 07-31-2015, 09:50 PM

233 posts, read 379,942 times
The jury is still out on The Collection for me. I personally wouldn't consider it a mall anyways. They are about to start their last building phase which will add another block of potential tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Ventura County