Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:13 PM

2 posts, read 4,682 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a well paying job in Rutland. I have always dreamed about living in Vermont, but now that it is becoming a reality I am a little scared! Currently, I live on Long Island. My child is off to college, so now it is just me and my husband. He will have to find a job, but we are not too worried since I will be making a very nice salary. My question is: where is the best place for us to live? I love quaint towns and old houses--should I be focusing my search on Brandon? I also love cycling and nightlife is not important. I would love to live somewhere with a nice main street with lots of little shops. What other places should I look into? I need to have good internet access and I would love to rent a nice old house before I buy--just want to make sure that this is the right place for me.
I would appreciate any help you can give.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 03:52 PM

171 posts, read 444,543 times
If you do not mind a bit of a commute, Chester and Manchester, VT both have what you're looking for.

And congratulations! :-)

Old 07-05-2010, 04:19 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Congratulations! I live in Rutland City so if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

Rutland and many nearby towns nearby have what you're describing. For outdoor recreation, Rutland County rocks. Rutland City has the most rental inventory and little shops of anywhere in the county. We live in the city and walk to almost everything, including downtown to do our grocery shopping a the Co-op, the library, shows at The Paramount, etc.

I sometimes see old homes for rent throughout the area, including in the smaller towns.

Can you visit before you move to get a sense of the area and determine which towns have enough downtown for you?

Old 07-05-2010, 04:34 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Brandon would be a great place to check out. I like Wallingford as well. Definitely check out the area as each town has a different feel so you can find one that is right for you. Congrats on the new job!

Old 07-05-2010, 05:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,682 times
Sherylcatmom-
Thanks for the info. My husband and I are planning to come up the week after next to take a look around. Right now we are planning to look at properties in Tinmouth, Poultney and Brandon. Any suggestions? I would like to rent a house with property or a fenced in yard for my two little poodles. I would like to keep rent under $1700/month, if possible.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindi Rosenthal View Post
Sherylcatmom-
Thanks for the info. My husband and I are planning to come up the week after next to take a look around. Right now we are planning to look at properties in Tinmouth, Poultney and Brandon. Any suggestions? I would like to rent a house with property or a fenced in yard for my two little poodles. I would like to keep rent under $1700/month, if possible.

If there's anything for rent that suits you in those towns, it should be under $1700/month. They're all sweet towns with plenty of outdoor activities nearby. Yards with these houses shouldn't be a problem but you may have to put in the fence for you little dogs.

For good internet service, you should talk with someone at the town offices and some of the businesses and residents in each town. FWIW, we get strong, reliable internet service in Rutland City. And every few months I notice my BlackBerry service working in ever remoter areas.

Of the towns you mentioned:
  • Poultney has a good used bookstore and a few other shops, not much overall, though Green Mountain College lends some culture with classes, performances, and such.
  • Brandon has a wonderful bookstore and more shops & restaurants than Poultney, plus it's an easy drive to Rutland or Middlebury, where you can get/do 'most anything.
  • Tinmouth doesn't have a downtown as such, but in the center of Tinmouth there's a fun little snack bar-type eatery and a great contra dance.
Another possible town that's quaint and has little shops plus great outdoor opportunities (and no nightlife): Wallingford

My husband and I talked about all this. Based on your description, we recommend you check out Brandon and Wallingford.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:30 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
There's miles of mostly dirt rural roads in towns like Tinmouth that get rather light traffic so they're not bad areas for cycling. Tinmouth also has the Tinmouth Channel WMA which is pretty good for seeing wildlife, etc. Swampy but nice. But there isn't much of a downtown there.

Wallingford is nice, lots of historical houses (there's a house there from the 1700's one of my ancestors spent a few nights in during the Revolution), but it can be an expensive place too (but at your budget, maybe not too big an issue).

Brandon is nice, more quiet away from route 7. Some others towns worth looking at are Clarendon, Pittsford, Mendon, West Rutland...not all have impressive downtowns but have their good points...

Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 PM

19 posts, read 25,652 times
Hello, I don't mean to steal the thread but I didn't want to start a new thread for a relatively same question. My fiancee and I are looking to move to a nice area, we are both 20 years old. We currently live in South Jersey and would like to relocate to a town with mid to low temperatures (low to mid 80's in summer). We are both in college, she is studying business management and I am studying computer programming. She is pretty well grounded in Walmart so her job situation is not much of a concern but I would be looking in the paper or on-line for a place to work.

We are looking to rent for a little while and eventually purchase if we like the area. We are looking for a house for less than 80k, I know that usually means sacrificing some areas of security, income, and growth in the town itself, but we are able to compromise. Our goal is to move out of New Jersey by September-October.

It would be greatly appreciated if we could get some help, and if anyone has questions about New Jersey then feel free to pm me and I will help you the best that I can.

Thank You.

Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 AM

Default Brandon events

Just received this schedule of events for Brandon's recently-renovated Town Hall Theater:

BRANDON TOWN HALL CALENDAR...2010 SEASON
JULY 1ST TO OCTOBER 31ST

JULY
Saturday, July 10th......BAG art show Opening Reception.....”Artists With Tools Revitalize A
Small Vermont Town”....4-6 pm
Sunday, July 11th , Saturday, July 17th and Sunday, July 18th......Art Show.....10-5 pm
Monday, July 12th – Friday, July 16th.....Art Show....12-5 pm
Monday, July 19th........BAG art show take down
Wednesday, July 21st....Movie...The White Ribbon...Contemporary Foreign
Saturday, July 24th.......Recreation Dept. Teen Movie Night...7-9 pm
Wednesday...July 28th....Movie...Crazy Heart...Independent American
Friday, July 30th...........Recreation Dept. Double Feature/Parents Night Out Movie Night...4-9 pm

AUGUST
Friday, August 6th........Town wide Yard Sale Load in....3-6 pm
Saturday, August 7th....Town wide Yard Sale.....8:00-3:00 pm
Wednesday, August 11th....Movie...North By Northwest....Classic Thriller
Saturday, August 14th....Silent Movie Film Festival Benefit for the Town Hall....7:00 pm
Wednesday...August 18th...Movie...Broken Embraces....Contemporary Foreign
Thursday, August 19th...Friends Of The Town Hall Board Meeting,...7:00 pm
Saturday, August 21st....Recreation Dept. Teen Movie Night...7:00 pm
Wednesday, August 25th....Movie...The Last Station...Independent American
Thursday, August 26th.....Maiden Vermont Rehearsal....6:00 pm
Saturday, August 28th......Maiden Vermont Benefit Concert for the Town Hall....7:30 pm

SEPTEMBER
Wednesday, September 1st...Movie...Young Frankenstein...Classic Comedy
Saturday, September 4th....Movie...Avatar
Wednesday, September 8th....Movie...The French Connection...Classic Thriller
Saturday, September 11th.......Enerjazz Benefit Concert for the Town Hall....7:00 pm
Wednesday, September 15th....Movie...Gomorrah....Contemporary Foreign
Saturday, September 18th...... Silent Movie Film Festival Benefit for the Town Hall...7:00 pm
Wednesday, September 22nd....Movie....Precious....Independent American
Friday, September 24th..........Family Movie Night....FOTH/BTP.....7:00 pm
Wednesday, September 29th.....Movie...The Messenger...Independent American

OCTOBER
Friday, October 1st.......Rusty Dewees...8:00 pm
Saturday, October 2nd...Rusty Dewees....8:00 pm

NOVEMBER/DECEMBER
Tuesday, November 30th....Load in for Moonlight Madness.....3:00-6:00 pm
Wednesday, December 1st...Moonlight Madness...Load in...2:00-4:00...Open 4-8 pm

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 07-08-2010 at 05:46 AM..

Old 07-08-2010, 07:35 AM

Homes for sale by owner in Rutland County (includes Brandon):
Picket Fence Preview : Homes and Land For Sale By Owner in Rutland County
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont