Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,567 times

Advertisements

dont worry, i currently live in burlington, vermont and if you do move here, move to the new north end, it is way better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 04:22 PM

155 posts, read 613,786 times
Do you live in the New North End? I am interested in learning more about that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny6793 View Post
dont worry, i currently live in burlington, vermont and if you do move here, move to the new north end, it is way better

Old 01-14-2008, 05:20 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,141,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermont08 View Post
I am trying to find out if the graffiti we saw while driving in downtown and in the old north end is gang related or just kids bored out of their mind. We plan to move to the Burlington area in March (we are looking at South Burlington). But want a better idea of what the graffiti is all about there. I was surprised by how much I saw in the “not so good” which really I saw as just the poorer part of town. Coming from the Baltimore, MD area I have to say it is nothing like here but it still took us a by surprise. We did happen to see a kid (maybe 14-15 yrs old) spraying on a building as we drove past which was kind of sad to see since there are so many beaches, parks, and things to do there. Why waste time making graffiti?
See this gangster style graffiti? Does it make you nervous?

If it does, don't move to any tiny villages in Switzerland. Because that's where I saw this. Surprisingly lots of it!

I'm not saying that the Burlington area is perfect or that there aren't any gang members here. I will say that you'd have a hard time to find a city anywhere with less gang members than Burlington. Yes there's some crime here where innocent people can be involved. Where isn't there? Fortunately the vast majority of people who are victims here, are dirtbags themselves.
I've lived in several states, and I can't imagine a place much safer than South Burlington.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:26 AM

79 posts, read 314,284 times
I think it would be naive and ignorant to believe that there is not gang activity in Burlington or other areas of Vermont (as indicated in earlier posts).

Rutland, a much smaller city, has gang activity and graffitti from it. Take a look around Rutland and you'll see L.S.D. spray painted on buildings (luckily not on the front of too many). What does L.S.D. stand for? Los Solidos gang.

I think it's time we start to recognize that Vermont is not immune to the gangs and all they bring to the areas the infiltrate.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 AM

491 posts, read 1,433,441 times
Graffiti has been occuring in cities around the world for thousands of years. Its nothing new and nothing anyone should be worried about. Like many other things, no one is immune to it. There are alot worse things people could be doing than painting something.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTTE View Post
I think it would be naive and ignorant to believe that there is not gang activity in Burlington or other areas of Vermont (as indicated in earlier posts).

Rutland, a much smaller city, has gang activity and graffitti from it. Take a look around Rutland and you'll see L.S.D. spray painted on buildings (luckily not on the front of too many). What does L.S.D. stand for? Los Solidos gang.

I think it's time we start to recognize that Vermont is not immune to the gangs and all they bring to the areas the infiltrate.
Are you sure thats what it means? I have seen L.S.D. painted in a lot of places and I have always been told it has other meanings than that. including the drug and the graffiti magazine named L.S.D.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:34 PM

79 posts, read 314,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
Are you sure thats what it means? I have seen L.S.D. painted in a lot of places and I have always been told it has other meanings than that. including the drug and the graffiti magazine named L.S.D.
It is possible that L.S.D. is not gang related, but that does not change the fact that gangs do exist in VT and the earlier posts are reluctant to admit that admit that it's anything other than bored kids. My point is just that turning a blind eye to the truth of the gangs in VT is not helping the problem. When I moved from VT 15 years ago, the idea of gangs in VT was almost a joke. And when my parents told me that gangs had arrived I thought they were joking! I moved back 7.5 years ago and have been amazed how different the area is. I have worked in downtown Rutland since my return and get to see the riftraft first hand. Certainly not the same city I cruised around in while in high school.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:45 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,855,600 times
I'm retired from law enforcement and prior to moving here I was able to read reports concerning gang affiliation and infiltration activity concerning Vt. It was a coordinated effort by Federal and State agencies to put the breaks on several groups who were seeking inroads here. To say that gangs have existed and there is nothing to worry about is a bit simplistic as several have morphed into a pretty ruthless forms. Read up on MS13 and their spread across the country and into New England. It takes a constant effort to track and thwart their spread and despite Vt seeming to be locale of seemingly little significance and opportunity, it does not render us immune. Drug traffic history and the business that it generates, especially with heroin, already has an established history here. It's ultimately safer and much cheaper in the long run to deny any foothold here.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNOTTE View Post
It is possible that L.S.D. is not gang related, but that does not change the fact that gangs do exist in VT and the earlier posts are reluctant to admit that admit that it's anything other than bored kids. My point is just that turning a blind eye to the truth of the gangs in VT is not helping the problem. When I moved from VT 15 years ago, the idea of gangs in VT was almost a joke. And when my parents told me that gangs had arrived I thought they were joking! I moved back 7.5 years ago and have been amazed how different the area is. I have worked in downtown Rutland since my return and get to see the riftraft first hand. Certainly not the same city I cruised around in while in high school.
Gangs and graffiti are in every town. We had 'gangs' in our school as well, and we had 3000 people and 60 kids graduating every year. But c'mon these aren't the same type of gangs you see in Big Cities. They are wannabes, nothing to be scared of. Tons of them in WNY. Even Buffalo doesn't have 'real' gangs in my opinion.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:11 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Right before we moved up here in September there was a blurb online somewhere about graffiti in our new village. Turned out to be 2 bored teenagers. I am sure gangs exist in big towns but in smaller places you just have a lot of bored kids.

Maybe someone needs to address this problem in Vermont. What do you do for the teenagers and preteenagers to keep them from being bored and 'doing these things?' Isolation is also tough on younger people--not every kid is 'into sports.' My son is almost ten and while he's content to hang around with us now, in a few years he's going to be one of these restless preteens. I would like to know what to do to help him stay focused on 'positives.' Fortunately he likes nature & the outdoors so we are trying to get him into 4H.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont