Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:37 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,132,977 times

Advertisements

I'll start with Pittsfield in my next post to comply with my own request for subject line content.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 09:01 AM

143 posts, read 374,667 times
Default Manchester - Up For Breakfast

No, not exactly roadside ... and you do have to go to Manchester (which was never my cup of tea) ... but this breakfast place is sooooo good. Tiny. Up a rickety flight of stairs (which, unfortunately, renders the place inaccessible for a lot of people). Really loud if the place is crowded ... and it is always crowded.

But! So delicious; classic and unique takes on breakfast standards (eggs, pancakes, etc). Plentiful. Quick, despite the crowds.

Darnnit. Why did I have to move 15 hours away?!

Old 08-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Default Pittsfield: Pittsfield General Store

We'd been wondering what became of Kesher and Sarah, two of our favorite staff/community members at the Back Home Again Café in Rutland. Three months ago, Kesher and Sarah moved back to Vermont with their toddler (and now 2-week-old infant) and took over the Pittsfield General Store, restaurant, and more. We read about it in the current Rutland Business Journal.

On Sunday, we stopped in on our way home from blueberry-picking in Rochester. WOW! The food is delicious, the menu is vegan-friendly, and the atmosphere is very comfortable.

Since arriving, they've already made the place great and it's going to be just amazing. Back when they were living at the Rutland community, Kesher built tables, a bar, and other superb woodwork for the Pittsfield General Store under its former management. Now that the PGS is his place, Kesher is spreading his wings, undertaking a creative and aesthetically beautiful venture that is unique in all the world and perfect right where it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Fave VT roadside eats - Please post TOWN & EATERY NAME in subject line-080810-kesher-pittsfield-general-store.jpg   Fave VT roadside eats - Please post TOWN & EATERY NAME in subject line-080810-kesher-pittsfield-general-store-register  

Last edited by Sherylcatmom; 08-10-2010 at 10:37 AM..

Old 08-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Default re: Manchester - Up For Breakfast

Good one! This place is fantastic! Absolutely delectable food. We'd never even have known it was there if some local hadn't told us about it.

I think it's cash-only, for others planning a visit.

Hope you end up closer if that's where you want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfriedkasei View Post
No, not exactly roadside ... and you do have to go to Manchester (which was never my cup of tea) ... but this breakfast place is sooooo good. Tiny. Up a rickety flight of stairs (which, unfortunately, renders the place inaccessible for a lot of people). Really loud if the place is crowded ... and it is always crowded.

But! So delicious; classic and unique takes on breakfast standards (eggs, pancakes, etc). Plentiful. Quick, despite the crowds.

Darnnit. Why did I have to move 15 hours away?!

Old 08-10-2010, 12:03 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherylcatmom View Post
We'd been wondering what became of Kesher and Sarah, two of our favorite staff/community members at the Back Home Again Café in Rutland. Three months ago, Kesher and Sarah moved back to Vermont with their toddler (and now 2-week-old infant) and took over the Pittsfield General Store, restaurant, and more. We read about it in the current Rutland Business Journal.

On Sunday, we stopped in on our way home from blueberry-picking in Rochester. WOW! The food is delicious, the menu is vegan-friendly, and the atmosphere is very comfortable.

Since arriving, they've already made the place great and it's going to be just amazing. Back when they were living at the Rutland community, Kesher built tables, a bar, and other superb woodwork for the Pittsfield General Store under its former management. Now that the PGS is his place, Kesher is spreading his wings, undertaking a creative and aesthetically beautiful venture that is unique in all the world and perfect right where it is.
We stopped into the Pittsfield General Store a few years ago, when we were scoping out possible wedding locations. From what I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, the owners were a couple from NYC who bought and restored the General Store, and had also bought several properties in town...did Keshar and Sarah purchase the store? We had a great lunch there back then...

Old 08-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
We stopped into the Pittsfield General Store a few years ago, when we were scoping out possible wedding locations. From what I remember, and correct me if I'm wrong, the owners were a couple from NYC who bought and restored the General Store, and had also bought several properties in town...did Keshar and Sarah purchase the store? We had a great lunch there back then...
I think you're right. I think you're referring to Joe Desena who, along with all that you mentioned, also organizes this crazy thing:

Nineteen people survive the Pittsfield Death Race: Rutland Herald Online

Sarah and Kesher don't own the store. They're running it. Joe actually asked Kesher to take over the store back when Kesher was still in Rutland. Finally, a few months ago, he accepted. I thik they're planning an event space with catering, too.

Before its current incarnation, Chris and I had stopped in a few times and never found anything we wanted to eat. And it wasn't particularly vegan-friendly. So if you liked it then, maybe you'll like it even better now!

Old 08-10-2010, 01:49 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,736 times
P&H Truck stop in Wells River.

I always get a turkey sandwich, fries, cole slaw, and maple pie

P&H Truck Stop - Wells River, VT

Old 08-10-2010, 02:02 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,187 times
Yes! We met with Joe Desena and his wife at their home/wedding venue, which was spectacular. Waaay out of our price range unfortunately, but they were very nice people and they had done an incredible job renovating the buildings on their property.

Back on topic...we'll have to take a drive back down there and check out the new offerings at the General Store!

Old 08-10-2010, 07:47 PM

986 posts, read 2,334,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
P&H Truck stop in Wells River.

I always get a turkey sandwich, fries, cole slaw, and maple pie

P&H Truck Stop - Wells River, VT
Please explain a maple pie. It sounds like something I would thoroughly enjoy.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
Please explain a maple pie. It sounds like something I would thoroughly enjoy.
Me, too! I also had to look up Wells River on Google Maps. Then I remembered I'd seen signs for it on I-91 when I was returning from work events in the Northeast Kingdom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont