Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 PM

54 posts, read 166,928 times

Advertisements

We just moved to Williston and have found the people here very friendly and eager to help. I lived in Maine 10 yrs and all over the Southeast prior to that and think Vermont is one of the friendlier places we've lived. The people here seem more like mid-westerners than New Englanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 11,232 times
Default New to vermont

Just moved to Burlington from Northern Virginia. So far the people have been more than welcoming, well except at the DMV. But you know how that goes.....

Old 10-19-2010, 08:19 PM

819 posts, read 1,496,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Very Cool! We'll be living in Glover - just north of you in a couple of years!
Hunted in Glover this morning.........nice area. One of my friends swears by Parker Pie for pizza.........or Hippie Pizza as we cal it.........whatever it is, I think it is supposed to be good eats........

Old 10-19-2010, 08:35 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,145,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankwheat View Post
We just moved to Williston and have found the people here very friendly and eager to help. I lived in Maine 10 yrs and all over the Southeast prior to that and think Vermont is one of the friendlier places we've lived. The people here seem more like mid-westerners than New Englanders.
I live in Williston too, I've noticed there are relatively few native Vermonters in Williston and much of Chittenden County. Same story, folks from around the country who were tired of the grind of urban and suburban areas moving to Vermont and glad to be here. We're often called fake Vermonters, which means we're happy and friendly. We are are public enemy number one to the Take Back Vermonters who believe the moonwalk was filmed on a California sound stage.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
We're often called fake Vermonters, which means we're happy and friendly. We are are public enemy number one to the Take Back Vermonters who believe the moonwalk was filmed on a California sound stage.
I’m not sure that fighting narrow minded thinking with more narrow minded thinking is the right way to go………..

Believe me, I get the frustration and annoyance that builds up with the whole Flatlander thing, heck I split time between MA and VT so I get it all. That being said, I understand where the closed minded folks are coming from because I took the time to learn, not saying I agree with them, but I get their point of view, however obtuse it may be on a topic.

The bulk of Chitty County appears to be folks that relocated for the “way of life” and scenery, but they also have held onto their underlying beliefs from “away” which is interpreted (pretty correctly in my opinion) as having cherry picked the parts of Vermont they like and therefore haven’t really embraced the “way of life” of the native Vermonters. To them it is like going to church just on the holidays; they won’t believe you’re a “real Catholic” as you have cherry picked the parts that suit you and chosen to ignore the others.

The worst in their eyes is one that relocates and then tries to change things on the local level, trying to pave country roads, install traffic lights, provide more “services” etc.

You may find some more mutually acceptable common ground if you reach out to the folks who are different than you instead of using them as a punchline.

I’m just sayin’…….

Old 10-21-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post

The worst in their eyes is one that relocates and then tries to change things on the local level, trying to pave country roads, install traffic lights, provide more “services†etc.

You may find some more mutually acceptable common ground if you reach out to the folks who are different than you instead of using them as a punchline.

I’m just sayin’…….
Nope. Not really interested in reaching out to people who want to size me up before they determine if I'm acceptable or not.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Nope. Not really interested in reaching out to people who want to size me up before they determine if I'm acceptable or not.
Sounds like what you're doing to them;

I had to keep reminding myself that they were there first and I'm the visitor, there is nothing compelling them to reach out and accept me what so ever, in their eyes, I'm the one who chose to come there afterall.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:43 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,860,772 times
I didn't think much about the 'real Vermonter' thing until my husband and I decided to buy land in the NE. I have to spend my time reminding some folks that I am originally from Vermont....though unfortunately - the wrong part of the state. It is kind of weird and I do know the mentality because I had it. When someone was buying land next to ours....I was telling my husband - 'of course it couldn't have been a Vermonter....some darn person from out of state' And now I find myself saying 'yay' when I meet someone who isn't native. It is kind of sad in a way. Logs and Dogs - you said it exactly about what the worst is in their eyes. That's what I used to say and how I used to think. My husband says Vermonters are arrogant.....I try and convince him that they are just proud of where they live and that maybe he misunderstands. He has accepted his 'flatlander' status.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logs and Dogs View Post
Sounds like what you're doing to them;

I had to keep reminding myself that they were there first and I'm the visitor, there is nothing compelling them to reach out and accept me what so ever, in their eyes, I'm the one who chose to come there afterall.
I stopped being a visitor when I started paying taxes. I actually chose to be here and many of them would leave if they could.

I'm not judging anyone, it's a fact that there are a lot of people of whom I'm speaking. It's a fact that there are a lot of people who come up here and try to make changes. Assuming everyone is in one group or another is wrong.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:29 PM

I don't disagree entirely, believe me. Some folks gave me some crap originally for buying land in "their" state and building. The ironic thing is that these folks were supposed "freinds" or more like "friendly" prior to my wife and I working our asses off for 50 straight weekends to build our cabin. Then they started with the passive crap, and it just kept coming........I finally just told them off, we went our separate ways and I'm better for it.

The really ironic thing is that I now have a good group of friends in the NEK where people are supposed to be even harder to deal with.......not for me; good friends, hunting partners...........etc.

Closed minded is closed minded..........I give someone the benefit of the doubt and then if need be, I punt. Can't worry about things you can't control.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont