Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 07:12 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Other states that have created single payer systems have had nothing but problems and doctor shortages.
Which other U.S. states have created single-payer systems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM

442 posts, read 553,131 times
Not all doctors believe that you should make a profit off of the practice of medicine. Many doctors didn't go to medical school to get wealthy. Many went to med school to help people, all people, rich and poor.
People want to support this, because it is a human rights issue. The link I posted, is a QA from the orginazation that helped create the program, not "political propaganda."

Old 04-07-2011, 07:31 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Which other U.S. states have created single-payer systems?
As far as I know, it's never been done in the U.S. It's a conversation in some states, and there has been some legislation, but no systems created, I think. There are cumbersome workaround systems that try to adapt conventional private insurance with public/private hybrids, for example, some of which actually create more layers of administration rather than less.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:05 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
MA and HI have passed universal healthcare laws. Both failed miserably. VT's Catamount program hasn't worked out as expected, nor has Maine's similar program (Dirigo). Government can't run healthcare any better than it can run anything else, and this tiny state can't afford it.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
Not all doctors believe that you should make a profit off of the practice of medicine. Many doctors didn't go to medical school to get wealthy. Many went to med school to help people, all people, rich and poor.
People want to support this, because it is a human rights issue. The link I posted, is a QA from the orginazation that helped create the program, not "political propaganda."
I've experienced firsthand doctors and dentists who went to med school precisely to get wealthy. Of course there's others interested in helping people.

I'd like to see everyone have access to healthcare, but the fact is single payer is not the answer. It has, everywhere it has been instituted, from the UK to Canada, resulted in shortages, delays, and rationing, with next to no ability to get around the government's decision except for the super wealthy.

And that site is pro-single payer propaganda. There's more than one side to every issue, and that site gives one side to this.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:22 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,627,203 times
Is health care as much a political issue in say Canada as it is in the US? Do Canadians want to adopt the US system?

Old 04-07-2011, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I've experienced firsthand doctors and dentists who went to med school precisely to get wealthy. Of course there's others interested in helping people.

I'd like to see everyone have access to healthcare, but the fact is single payer is not the answer. It has, everywhere it has been instituted, from the UK to Canada, resulted in shortages, delays, and rationing, with next to no ability to get around the government's decision except for the super wealthy.

And that site is pro-single payer propaganda. There's more than one side to every issue, and that site gives one side to this.

Well, then the doctors that are in it for the money, are in medicine for the wrong reasons. They must have always known that Universal health care could be an option that one day may happen here, too.

There are certainly no shortages, delays, or rationing in places like France! Most of the EU/UK have few issues with their gov't run medicine. Citizens have nurses and doctors even make house calls in France! You are even assigned a nanny when you have a baby, for at least 6 weeks, that helps you around the house, with the baby, other kids, and cooks, and does your laundry!!!! PAID!!!!! You get CASH when YOU leave the hospital for a cab!! They pay you, when you check out, to make sure you get home safe and healthy. That is amazing. I can only dream of that happening here. Did I mention higher education is also paid? No, I didn't. Imagine not having those debts.

Canadians for the most part like the system, but of course some have a few complaints. However if you ask them if they want to switch to privatized health care like the U.S., where corporations bottom lines are valued more that the people of the nation, then you will CERTAINLY hear a resounding NO!!!!

Most people around the world who have it, would never, ever give up their right to socialized health care.

Also, if you are wealthy, you still can opt for private insurance. I am very proud of Vermont!

Last edited by Annie Metal; 04-07-2011 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM

This is a good article form The Boston Globe about the VT Universal Health Plan. This interviews the Harvard professor, who has helped several countries implement Universal health care, while saving money for health costs for the state, the companies, and the recipients.

With health costs rising, Vermont moves toward a single-payer system - The Angle - Boston.com

Old 04-08-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
Well, then the doctors that are in it for the money, are in medicine for the wrong reasons. They must have always known that Universal health care could be an option that one day may happen here, too.

There are certainly no shortages, delays, or rationing in places like France! Most of the EU/UK have few issues with their gov't run medicine. Citizens have nurses and doctors even make house calls in France! You are even assigned a nanny when you have a baby, for at least 6 weeks, that helps you around the house, with the baby, other kids, and cooks, and does your laundry!!!! PAID!!!!! You get CASH when YOU leave the hospital for a cab!! They pay you, when you check out, to make sure you get home safe and healthy. That is amazing. I can only dream of that happening here. Did I mention higher education is also paid? No, I didn't. Imagine not having those debts.

Canadians for the most part like the system, but of course some have a few complaints. However if you ask them if they want to switch to privatized health care like the U.S., where corporations bottom lines are valued more that the people of the nation, then you will CERTAINLY hear a resounding NO!!!!

Most people around the world who have it, would never, ever give up their right to socialized health care.

Also, if you are wealthy, you still can opt for private insurance. I am very proud of Vermont!
You're sugarcoating things. You focus on the treatment of the young. How about the older people who are literally starved to death in the UK and elsewhere? The wait times have killed many people too. Including in the UK a former medical director (the irony!): Socialized Medicine Director Dies After Waiting Nine Months for Operation (http://thenewamerican.com/opinion/selwyn-duke/6979-socialized-medicine-director-dies-waiting-for-operation - broken link)

Old 04-08-2011, 05:47 AM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
Quote:

We already have this in the US. The super wealthy (which
includes insurance company executives) have concierge doctors and Cadillac insurance plans. Some workers have great coverage, but that's less and less the case. Many, many others have inadequate or no coverage. Those are the millions of people earning too much for Medicaid and other assistance, though not nearly enough to live decent, healthy lives. Meanwhile, many seniors on Medicare can't afford "medigap" insurance to cover the first 20% of charges that Medicare doesn't cover as well as prescription copays.

I, too, am proud of Vermont for working toward universal coverage and considering single payer as one of the ways to get there. Profiting off healthcare sickens those who need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont