Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:16 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora369 View Post
LOL I have gone through New Hampshire and could not find anything I liked about it. Vermont is definitely the place to go and relax, in my opinion. Hubby and I are going for a week in October this year, changed it from going in September. I love the crisp air in the fall there and the outdoor smell. Can't wait.
And you're from NJ?! How much I will bet you saw NH from either I-95 or I-93. Insert your denial below.

NH = VT + coastline, taller mtns, jobs, less govt, and close to real cities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 01:39 PM

11 posts, read 30,780 times
Yes, from New Jersey all my life and cannot wait to leave it.

When my husband and I first went to Vermont years ago we could not believe how beautiful it was and seeing the homes with things piled up in their yards, well, that just reminds me of the farms I visited when I was a kid in New Jersey. I am in my 50's, so I have been around a while. My grandfather had things piled in his yard on his acre of land.

Any who, I know about the jobs or lack thereof in Vermont and the taxes, etc. I love the Vermont mountains, lakes and its people. You can keep the cities. I prefer the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont and the farms. A country girl at heart, no matter how many dirt roads there are and Vermont has plenty of them, drove through quite a lot of dirt roads while there.

By hey, that is what I like and what I see.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 PM

395 posts, read 458,698 times
Default Jealous of Vermont? hahahahahah

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
It's the New Hampshire thing, they're very jealous of the attention Maine and Vermont get while they are the drive through state (with the exception of a quick stop at a White Mountains Park). No interesting towns...the bottom half is becoming suburban... zzzz.
Jealous of Vermont? You've got to be kidding? What's there to be jealous of? Your lack of a Seacoast? You're "oh aren't we so quaint" smug attitude? How about the fact that every third driveway in Vermont has a "Maple Syrup for sale" sign at the end of it. You're penchant for holding up covered bridges as the apex of human civilization?

NH is a far better place to live. The White Mountains are much prettier than the Green Mountains. We have a seacoast. We have nicer lakes. We have many small, pretty rural towns too but we actually know how to balance this small town atmosphere with the reality that's it's 2012 and people need jobs. Portsmouth is more interesting, with more culture and more things to do than the entire state of Vermont. We have more history. I could go on and on but it would be wasted on you.

Jealous of Vermont? HA!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:20 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora369 View Post
Yes, from New Jersey all my life and cannot wait to leave it.

When my husband and I first went to Vermont years ago we could not believe how beautiful it was and seeing the homes with things piled up in their yards, well, that just reminds me of the farms I visited when I was a kid in New Jersey. I am in my 50's, so I have been around a while. My grandfather had things piled in his yard on his acre of land.

Any who, I know about the jobs or lack thereof in Vermont and the taxes, etc. I love the Vermont mountains, lakes and its people. You can keep the cities. I prefer the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont and the farms. A country girl at heart, no matter how many dirt roads there are and Vermont has plenty of them, drove through quite a lot of dirt roads while there.

By hey, that is what I like and what I see.
Actually, I can relate. What part of NJ are you in? I was living in Philly up until a few days ago and moved back to NJ, temporarily. Looking to leave too. I also spent most of my life here and in NY. Where I live is decent but nothing great. The people aren't that friendly, everyone is quick to anger and just not laid back at all. Plus traffic, expenses, taxes, rat race mentality, etc. I like Vermont but love NH. Some parts of upstate I like as well, but not as much as NH.

NEK is great, real good country up there, the way life used to be. I like the Lake Bomoseen area and the Route 4 corridor. Of course, Route 100 too.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:29 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
quaint
winner winner chicken dinner

Old 08-08-2012, 08:44 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,826,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
winner winner chicken dinner
It seems you struck a nerve with the poster from NH. They have very nice toll booths there as well. They do have a seacoast, a very small one. It's where the Seabrook Nuclear Power Plant is. I like this power plant, GMP/CVPS recently signed a contract for power with Seabrook instead of the very leaky Vermont Yankee.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:18 AM

274 posts, read 673,965 times
I moved here from NH. I lived both in Manchester for my job and North Conway for my recreation. While I loved a lot of things: access to the ocean, Boston, presidential range, Maine, and no state income tax, I also love VT for other things - good public school, community spirit, simplicity, and raising my kids somewhat in an environment like I was raised in upstate NY years ago. I also like how many more people seem active here and are out cycling, hiking and generally just being outdoors. When I am on my road bike, I am relieved to not be honked at anymore and brushed off the road by a "live free or die'er". There are more cyclists and it seems more respect for it. Each state is great and the only thing that matters is what you value most.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:10 AM

11 posts, read 30,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Actually, I can relate. What part of NJ are you in? I was living in Philly up until a few days ago and moved back to NJ, temporarily. Looking to leave too. I also spent most of my life here and in NY. Where I live is decent but nothing great. The people aren't that friendly, everyone is quick to anger and just not laid back at all. Plus traffic, expenses, taxes, rat race mentality, etc. I like Vermont but love NH. Some parts of upstate I like as well, but not as much as NH.

NEK is great, real good country up there, the way life used to be. I like the Lake Bomoseen area and the Route 4 corridor. Of course, Route 100 too.
I live in South Jersey now and have to commute by bus to New York every day for work...stinks. I used to live in Northern Jersey. Talk about a rat race...yep, that is what New Jersey has become. I remember when I was a kid and it was legal to burn leaves in a barrel in your yard. I loved the smell of burning leaves in the fall, but now, you have pollution and the air does not smell the same. I know all about the taxes as well. A friend of mine has a home in Vermont with an acre of land, barn, garage and two more rooms in her home than me and she pays $1,000 less in taxes than I do. The real estate taxes here have become disgusting. Traffic is another crazy thing. One of the other things I love about Vermont, no billboards on the roads. So nice to be able to see trees and the mountains.

One of the posters here has a definite hate for Vermont. Maybe they shouldn't bother posting in this forum. Sheesh.

Old 08-09-2012, 06:23 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,376,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db77 View Post
We have many small, pretty rural towns too but we actually know how to balance this small town atmosphere with the reality that's it's 2012 and people need jobs.
^^^^

This.

Vermont has dug a very deep hole, or should I say pit for itself as far as economic development is concerned.

Tourism? Some profit for the owners, unless they blow it, and plenty of unskilled jobs paying mininum wage or below for the locals. Of course there are always those dubious expansion plans for when the owners get desperate.
ILW.COM - immigration news:

Agriculture? Profitability is so bad that even the governor has publicly stated that it isn't feasible in VT without farmers employing illegal aliens. This is why cops doing their job get a slap on the wrist, law-abiding citizens get taken to task and fined over nothing, while illegal aliens can thumb their noses at the rest of us.
Vt. Gov. Wants Police Directive On Migrant Workers | WPTZ Home - WPTZ Home

Try THAT in NH.

There are municpalities in NH that make Laurel and Hardy look like geniuses when it comes to getting businesses set up that will provide a commercial tax base and decent wage jobs for residents, but at the state level, NH has left VT in the dust.

Sure, VT is great if you are independently wealthy or enjoy being poor, but if you are looking for a place to work or start a business where the state does not regard you as a target at worst or a cash cow at best, I would definitely choose NH over VT. And I say this as someone from VT now living in NH and with businesses and business ties in both states.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:54 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,663,056 times
Vermont is a beautiful state, but I think one of the nicest areas in all of the Northeast is the area north of Lincoln, NH. The views are second to none. Even driving on that stretch of I-93 through Franconia Notch is breathtaking. If you get off the highway, it's even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont