Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM

456 posts, read 833,418 times

Advertisements

I was skiing in Vermont (Killington) the past week, and would like to firstly say greatly enjoyed my stay in Vermont, one of my favourite states, very nice nature, good people, nice places to eat. After the rush and business of NYC metropolitan area, good to take a break.

I noticed that in the Killington area there are many people from different countries working there, especially from Chile and Peru. (I saw their flags outside Pico Resort). Is there some sort of program for this?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
The federal government issues visas for foreign workers at these temporary jobs. This is actually a bit of a sore point for locals, as they are hiring foreigners who will work cheaper instead of hiring locals.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:17 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
It's actually a work/travel visa. These foreigners are actually wealthy college students in their home countries. Their parents pay big money for them to come here. They get college credits for it. It's their year abroad. (I actually feel sorry for them that their year abroad involves living in substandard employee housing and being treated like a slave, but most of them enjoy it because it's their first taste of freedom and independence as young adults.) It's a shame local Vermonters don't realize these aren't uneducated, impoverished Mexicans. The Vermont economy benefits because these kids have their parents credit cards and almost unlimited spending limits by our standards. The resorts actually make money by having them. Do local Vermonters pay a resort thousands of dollars to have a temporary job? No.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:22 PM

They may not be all impoverished Mexicans or such, but the problem is these resorts drive up the cost of living for locals after scarring the mountainsides with development, and then don't even hire them. I don't think anyone really has anything against the foreigners, but against the resort owners.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,825,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
They may not be all impoverished Mexicans or such, but the problem is these resorts drive up the cost of living for locals after scarring the mountainsides with development, and then don't even hire them. I don't think anyone really has anything against the foreigners, but against the resort owners.
The reason the resorts bring in the foreign workers is because the local labor market cannot fill the winter jobs the resorts plus the local lodges and restaurants have availible. Saying the resorts hire the foregners over the locals is a bunch of hooey.

The resorts also provide a much needed tax base for many Vermont towns as well as work for local contractors. Without the ski resorts the cost of living would be lower, along with higher unemployment, less tax base for the schools, less money for the towns budgets which would equate to less services for everyone. Most Vermonters are not against the resort owners, as you think, but appreciate their contribution to the local economy.

The foreign students that I worked with at Sugarbush during the ski season are actually college kids on their summer break. Remember South America's seasons are the opposite from ours. The ones I got to know were from middle class families, did not have unlimited credit cards and were good workers

Last edited by MRVphotog; 01-01-2013 at 10:58 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 04:39 AM

With the unemployment rate near Killington, if they can't hire locals, they aren't trying very hard. The state needs to get away from a tourism based economy if the average person is to have things better in this state, these resorts aren't really helping most of the locals much.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVphotog View Post
The foreign students that I worked with at Sugarbush during the ski season are actually college kids on their summer break. Remember South America's seasons are the opposite from ours. The ones I got to know were from middle class families, did not have unlimited credit cards and were good workers
Even the ones from wealthy families are very good workers.

Quote:
With the unemployment rate near Killington, if they can't hire locals, they aren't trying very hard.
I'm in the ski areas of Vermont right now. There are help wanted signs on almost every single restaurant and store door. Locals don't want to do these jobs, even unemployed locals, or they would apply for the jobs. If the locals don't know these jobs exist, they are living under a rock and never see the light of day.

EVERYONE knows where and when the seasonal jobs start. Even Killington still has full time and part time openings for the season that aren't filled. Killington - New Applicants & Former Employees It's like that at every resort in the state. Anyone who is walking around complaining about the resorts hiring South Americans are making themselves sound utterly ignorant.

Quote:
The state needs to get away from a tourism based economy if the average person is to have things better in this state, these resorts aren't really helping most of the locals much.
Diverse economy is ideal, not eliminating an entire industry. The resorts are the economy of the state, at least in the winter. Yes, add new industries, but taking away resorts would be like taking away hotels in NYC. Tourism is a vital part of many thriving economies, there is no reason whatsoever to "get away from" tourism entirely.

As for your previous comment about scarring the mountain, I hope you are aware that these resorts were build FOREVER ago. The environmental agencies restrict any further changes. You make it sound like these resorts just moved into the area and destroyed the mountains, bla bla bla. These resorts were here LONG before you were here, long before your parents were here, and probably long before your grandparents were here.

I'm sorry I'm on a rant, but the entire reason I am sitting in this hotel in Vermont for the past 2-1/2 weeks is because the resorts hire Americans too. Do you have any idea the amount of money I'm spending to be up here for this long? I'm not the only person who invests serious money into the state of Vermont each year.

From what I see, the resorts bring an influx of a younger population to the state too. A certain percentage of out of state workers choose to relocate here year-round. Being a state who is losing young people, that's a significant positive outcome the resorts are making to the state.

I don't know who you are hanging out with to hear all this negative complaining about the resorts hiring South Americans. Anyone walking around saying that stuff is just showing how ignorant they are of the reality here.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 AM

1,690 posts, read 3,617,967 times
I did see an international presence in Burlington this summer. I was waiting to get on a tour boat and saw a group of summer camp kids who might be from near Somalia (judging from the way the girls dressed). Also Vermont Magazine had an article last year about how refugees are settling in Vermont. So maybe not just the resort areas are seeing this trend.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Even the ones from wealthy families are very good workers.

I'm in the ski areas of Vermont right now. There are help wanted signs on almost every single restaurant and store door. Locals don't want to do these jobs, even unemployed locals, or they would apply for the jobs. If the locals don't know these jobs exist, they are living under a rock and never see the light of day.

EVERYONE knows where and when the seasonal jobs start. Even Killington still has full time and part time openings for the season that aren't filled. Killington - New Applicants & Former Employees It's like that at every resort in the state. Anyone who is walking around complaining about the resorts hiring South Americans are making themselves sound utterly ignorant.

Diverse economy is ideal, not eliminating an entire industry. The resorts are the economy of the state, at least in the winter. Yes, add new industries, but taking away resorts would be like taking away hotels in NYC. Tourism is a vital part of many thriving economies, there is no reason whatsoever to "get away from" tourism entirely.

As for your previous comment about scarring the mountain, I hope you are aware that these resorts were build FOREVER ago. The environmental agencies restrict any further changes. You make it sound like these resorts just moved into the area and destroyed the mountains, bla bla bla. These resorts were here LONG before you were here, long before your parents were here, and probably long before your grandparents were here.

I'm sorry I'm on a rant, but the entire reason I am sitting in this hotel in Vermont for the past 2-1/2 weeks is because the resorts hire Americans too. Do you have any idea the amount of money I'm spending to be up here for this long? I'm not the only person who invests serious money into the state of Vermont each year.

From what I see, the resorts bring an influx of a younger population to the state too. A certain percentage of out of state workers choose to relocate here year-round. Being a state who is losing young people, that's a significant positive outcome the resorts are making to the state.

I don't know who you are hanging out with to hear all this negative complaining about the resorts hiring South Americans. Anyone walking around saying that stuff is just showing how ignorant they are of the reality here.
FWIW, I know several people who have applied for those jobs at Killington. They don't get further than that. And they are well qualified for the jobs. It's one thing for the resorts to advertise jobs, it's another if they actually hire the people who apply.

And as far the damage to the mountains go, since my grandfather was born in 1900, and my father was born during WWII, I think both were around before most of these resorts.

The damage is ongoing. A judge has put a stop to some of it recently: Citing widespread violations, judge orders halt to construction at Haystack-Hermitage resort *:*Rutland Herald Online

I imagine I hear about the complaints because I'm in the local area and am with actual locals more. No one is going to actually come out and say anything at the resorts about this to the guests. The Rutland area, near Killington, has a serious unemployment problem. It simply doesn't go over well, what Killington does.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
FWIW, I know several people who have applied for those jobs at Killington. They don't get further than that. And they are well qualified for the jobs. It's one thing for the resorts to advertise jobs, it's another if they actually hire the people who apply.
My relative applied and was hired. Not sure what your acquaintances are doing wrong when they apply. Granted, it was a higher level position than the jobs the internationals get. I highly doubt the people you know applied for the jobs the internationals take. No experience is required for housekeeping. They do background checks though so perhaps there is something in their past that is preventing them from being hired.

Quote:
I imagine I hear about the complaints because I'm in the local area and am with actual locals more. No one is going to actually come out and say anything at the resorts about this to the guests. The Rutland area, near Killington, has a serious unemployment problem. It simply doesn't go over well, what Killington does.
I'm not a guest. I not staying at a resort. I'm staying at a hotel near a resort. I have friends here. My relative lives with locals and has many friends who are locals too. Keep in mind, MRVphotog is a Vermonter and completely discredits what you're saying too so your "I'm local so I know more" argument doesn't fly. Maybe people are complaining, but my point is that their complaints are not accurate. That doesn't make them sound very intelligent. Perhaps they don't sound intelligent when they interview too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont