Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:52 AM

111 posts, read 561,320 times

Advertisements

Kozmic NinJa-

What part of Florida are you in? I grew up in Panama City. I miss going to the beach, but other than that, I wouldn't want to move back to Florida. The heat and humidity is just too much. Also, after living in the mountains with so many beautiful trees, it would be hard to live on flat land with mostly Pine trees again. It's also been a relief not having to deal with the hurricane threat every year. We like Chattanooga Tennessee because it's similar to Vermont with the trees and mountains. Also, we will still get four seasons, but without a lot of snow and I'm hoping that the humidity won't be as bad.

Pucabear-

I agree with you. Experiencing Vermont definitely helps you appreciate living in the South! I especially miss the people in the South. I had heard the phrase "Southern Hospitality" many times growing up but I never really knew what it meant until I moved to Vermont and noticed that something was seriously missing. I don't want to get down on Vermonters because they really are nice, kind people, but it's different than the South. People up here are very independent and keep to themselves. A lot of the people who live here have been here their whole life and they have friends they grew up with and family, so they aren't very motivated to meet new people. In the South there are a lot of military families who have been displaced from their home town and are interested in joining social organizations and churches to make friends and be a part of some type of community. Also, in Vermont people often work two jobs or have their own business in addition to a full time job in order to keep up with the high cost of living. So those people are just too busy to invest time in social activities. What part of Tennessee are you in?

LACarole-

Have you ever been to Vermont? Do you know what you're in for with Vermont winters? Moving from LA to Vermont is going to be like moving to another planet. Have you really looked into how much it is going to cost you to live here? I don't mean to burst your bubble or annoy you (I couldn't help notice that you didn't respond to my last post) but I wish someone had helped me fully understand what I was getting my family into before we made such a hugh move. Our property tax will be around $3,000 this year and we live in a small 1300 Sq. ft. home. We paid more than $2,000 for heating oil last year and it's expected to get worse this year. My electric bill runs around $80 to $90 per month and we don't even use electricity for our dryer or to heat our water. And of course, Vermont has a state income tax. Retired people especially struggle to make it here. My neighbors across the street have lived here their whole life and now that they want to retire they have decided to sell their house and move to Tennesse because they can't afford to pay their bills if they retire and stay here. Another reason we feel we need to leave is because we've noticed that young people just starting out find it very difficult to make it here. We have three sons and we don't want them to have to move away from us when they graduate from college. Most young people have to rent and can't afford a house for years if they try to stay in Vermont. Again, please don't be annoyed, I just think it helps to know the reality of what you are getting into.

Last edited by Mary77; 10-29-2007 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:18 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times
The criterea mentioned was very much like ours when we moved here over two years ago with the exception of the need for employment, hence we pretty much needed to live within communting distance of the Burlington area. I live in Hinesburg, but actually it might as well be Huntington since we are virtually on the town line. In terms of geography we are in a very hilly area near the base of the Green Mountain chain. Camel's Hump is only 6 or so miles to the east, Lake Champlain 12 miles west. Mount Mansfield via trails from Underhill is only 22 miles away. The nearest grocery in Hinesburg is only five miles away, not the biggest store, but carries most of everything you would need. We are pretty close to the major ski areas Stowe being 30 miles away, Mad River 16 miles, Sugarbush, 20 miles, Bolton 10 miles. The Huntington River with it's gorge and other swimming holes is only between 2 to 5 miles depending on section. In any case it is a very quiet and scenic area with pretty much everything from town needs to recreation in very close proximity without the population sprawl and traffic. Before moving here I did have the advantage of knowing the area so I was able to better focus on locations. I would definately recommend a visit to see what the Chiitenden County and immediate surrounding towns offer. The only downside to this region is that homes will cost a bit more than other areas of the state.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:27 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Mary 77 - good advice to LA Carole. A lot of folks who move here do so with rose colored glasses, and like you said, people need to fully understand the downsides to life here as well.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:16 PM

120 posts, read 785,870 times
Mary 77 - didn't mean to ignore you before, I just have limited time on the computer as I homeschool my child. I appreciate what you've written each time and definitely need to do more research, so any information, positive or negative, is helpful. I have never been to Vermont and neither has my husband. We are just tired of living in the heat, humidity, and hurricane tracks. We pay at least $250 (usually closer to $400) a month in electricity here, mainly on A/C.... but I do know that LA has a lower cost of living than probably most other states besides MS. We also have very low property taxes, but with the election that just passed, each candidate for tax assessor promised to change that. We don't know yet exactly what that will entail, but we do have homestead exemptions up to $75K and are only taxed on the value above that of the property. Obviously, every state has its wonders and its woes, but we're tired of LA woes We have just started examining possible retirement opportunities and really have appreciated every response. If you or anyone else has any other suggestions, please tell us! As long as it's somewhere that gets all 4 seasons, we're open! BTW, do you possibly know what kind of income is needed to afford to live in a situation such as your neighbors? We are very lucky in the fact that we will continue to receive compensation from our retirement plan, but certainly don't want to spend money just to blow it... thanks again!

Old 10-31-2007, 04:23 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACarole View Post
Mary 77 - didn't mean to ignore you before, I just have limited time on the computer as I homeschool my child. I appreciate what you've written each time and definitely need to do more research, so any information, positive or negative, is helpful. I have never been to Vermont and neither has my husband. We are just tired of living in the heat, humidity, and hurricane tracks. We pay at least $250 (usually closer to $400) a month in electricity here, mainly on A/C.... but I do know that LA has a lower cost of living than probably most other states besides MS. We also have very low property taxes, but with the election that just passed, each candidate for tax assessor promised to change that. We don't know yet exactly what that will entail, but we do have homestead exemptions up to $75K and are only taxed on the value above that of the property. Obviously, every state has its wonders and its woes, but we're tired of LA woes We have just started examining possible retirement opportunities and really have appreciated every response. If you or anyone else has any other suggestions, please tell us! As long as it's somewhere that gets all 4 seasons, we're open! BTW, do you possibly know what kind of income is needed to afford to live in a situation such as your neighbors? We are very lucky in the fact that we will continue to receive compensation from our retirement plan, but certainly don't want to spend money just to blow it... thanks again!
Your electric bill here will be between $100-200 per month and your heating bill will be several hundred dollars on top of that for a good part of the year(heating costs will continue to to rise with the increasing oil prices). Property taxes are very high with low incomes. A good starting point would be to look at what your costs are now with the income you make now. Then research what the costs will be here and look at the income you will make here. I don't have any of my utility bills with me now, but some on the forum could give what the utilities charge. If not I will reaserch this a little more for you.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:03 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,962,576 times
We own a small 700 square foot condo, which is actually made of concrete (and therefore - supposedly - has good insulating properties) and our oil bills run at least $200/month...this is through the condo association as well, and I think they negotiate rates on an annual basis for the entire complex. Also, keep in mind that we rent our place, and it is not rented every day through the colder months (no rentals in November or early December, and the end of March/April are usually quiet as well). Those times that it's not rented, the thermostat drops to 60º, so if it was rented the entire time, our heating prices would be higher.

Though I am almost 100% sure we are moving to Vermont, we're coming from NYC, so cost of living is quite similar. But we had considered other places, including Virginia and Pennsylvania...you will have your four seasons, but just not as long or as cold a winter...in fact, one native Vermonter moved to Virginia and loves it - if you go on the Virginia forums you will see he posts quite a lot (Sean Pecor). The cost of living is much lower than VT and it seems to have a lot of the same beautiful scenery...

Old 10-31-2007, 08:31 AM

1,475 posts, read 4,143,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vette View Post
Property taxes are very high with low incomes.
This is the killer, when combined with the high cost of everything else. If you are not self employed, starting a job at 40k is pretty darn good. Plenty of managers making 40 to 50k. The prices of houses in Chittenden country don't seem all that staggering when you look at them, but paying the mortgage
with the low incomes can be tough. You just have to see your first paycheck
to understand. You think to yourself, "hey, this is what I made 12 years ago in (insert your city).

But you know, it's supply and demand. A lot of people want to live here. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. It all depends what floats your boat. I'd rather kill myself than live in Florida's heat and humidity. Plenty of Florida people would hate it up here. It's all about priorities.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:57 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times
If you are retired drawing off a pension and you have other assets such as CDs you can somewhat control your property tax here, especially also if you can roll over the proceeds of the house you sell in another state and buy here without carrying a large mortgage. Property tax currently here in Vt is adjusted based on your income and many receive a prebate lowering the tax. Check the state website on taxation for further details. This year unlike in the past it goes directly toward you tax bill where in the past it was sent by check to you directly. However, I would not make long range assumptions that this program will remain in effect in it's present state. The prebate works well if you have other non taxable assets to draw from to pay for certain living expenses. If you do not and must rely on earned income depending on you lifestyle you might not fare so well. Of course it is not wise to draw down on you savings either just to save on you property tax. Another aspect to keep in mind concerning Vt is that there are no breaks for retirement income both civilian and military as there are in many other states. If the present demographic trend and state spending continues in its present format then within the next decade there will be some very serious fiscal issues facing Vt. It is unfortunate that despite the red flags indications are that the legislature is quite content to delay dealing with the inevitable and continues to encumber itself with social reform and engineering issues. Despite this it appears that there will always be a clientelle able and willing to pay to live here so in terms of real estate you could do much worse elsewhere in the country.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:15 PM

178 posts, read 801,338 times
LaCarole-- Have you considered the north central or areas around Albany, NY? Cost of living up there in many nice towns is quite cheap, including housing. There are many lakes and rivers for scenery and the Adirondacks are magnificent. Many government pensions are exempted for retired people in figuring income taxes. The winters are not as long and perhaps, not as cold as in Vermont.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:06 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30apples View Post
LaCarole-- Have you considered the north central or areas around Albany, NY? Cost of living up there in many nice towns is quite cheap, including housing. There are many lakes and rivers for scenery and the Adirondacks are magnificent. Many government pensions are exempted for retired people in figuring income taxes. The winters are not as long and perhaps, not as cold as in Vermont.
Every summer and fall we go to Altimont, NY. It's just as beautiful as Vermont. If I could live anywhere else in the north this area would be very high on my list. Winter is shorter and not as cold. The apple festival is worth the visit at the fairgrounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont