Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:04 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,039,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgregor View Post
"That doesn't sound specifically liberal. That sounds like a really involved community of people who enjoy their city and get involved."

You won't find reactionaries going near a May Day celebration except to picket it, supporting public education, suffering a gentle mockery of the the running of the bulls, paying to see anything the Hooker-Dunham would stage, or going anywhere near a Woman's Film Festival. Other than that, you're correct.
By reactionaries, you mean non-liberals that are bothered by anything liberals do enough to vocalize or put to action their disapproval? I think that exists everywhere.

The town sounds pretty cool and happening. Almost reminds me of Eugene, OR or Boulder, CO. I think I have read enough to formulate a basic understanding of what to expect when I go to the town to interview.

Thank you for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 12:12 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,029,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
By reactionaries, you mean non-liberals that are bothered by anything liberals do enough to vocalize or put to action their disapproval? I think that exists everywhere.

The town sounds pretty cool and happening. Almost reminds me of Eugene, OR or Boulder, CO. I think I have read enough to formulate a basic understanding of what to expect when I go to the town to interview.

Thank you for the input.
It's a cool place. Very small though. I love it there. I tend to spend a weekend there once a year.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:22 PM

542 posts, read 704,353 times
You got the picture.

Asheville, NC
Carrboro, NC
Boone, North Carolina?
Burlington, VT
Ann Arbor, MI
Northampton, MA? Amherst, MA?
Taos, NM
Ithaca, NY
Boulder, CO
Nederland, CO
Telluride, CO
Flagstaff or Prescott, AZ - not sure if these qualify
Telluride Colorado
Marfa, TX
Santa fe, NM
Oberlin, OH
Yellow Springs, OH
Oak Park, IL
Madison, WI
Saratoga Springs, NY
New Paltz, NY
Annandale-on-Hudson / Rhinebeck, NY
Brattleboro, VT
Minneapolis, MN
Red Hook, NY
Durham, NC?
and anywhere in Oregon, the state...

Old 03-09-2017, 12:29 PM

I don't see a lot of rentals in the area. Where exactly to do people live aside from buying a house?

Old 03-09-2017, 12:46 PM

Vermont does not have a huge rental market. There are apartments in town. Most people without a house live is an apartment.

Places to look:

Craigs list
Brattleboro reformer
town crier
local real estate agents also handle some rentals. Real estate market is soft so yo might try calling a few agents and tell them what you want.

Old 03-09-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Vermont does not have a huge rental market. There are apartments in town. Most people without a house live is an apartment.

Places to look:

Craigs list
Brattleboro reformer
town crier
local real estate agents also handle some rentals. Real estate market is soft so yo might try calling a few agents and tell them what you want.
By soft, do you mean that it is a buyer's market?

Old 03-09-2017, 01:20 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,278,340 times
Front Porch Forum gets used a lot for rentals in my neck of the woods.
Front Porch Forum

Old 03-09-2017, 01:25 PM

Yeah probably alway is a buyers market, there just are not a lot of people in Vermont or moving to Vermont. I live in Florida half the year and have a house here and one in VT. I think if I wanted to sell my house in Florida it might take 3 months. Selling a house in VT could take years. Not because the place is bad or not worth it, but if you live in a town of 1200 people. Like I do and most of VT. Start thinking about how many new people are moving in? There are some but I think our town population has fluctuated from 800 to 2000 since about the year 1750. Things don't change much. People are not knocking down the door to move there. Pictures of the town from 1850 look the same except there are horses tied up and the general store instead of pickups. That is VT.

Old 03-09-2017, 02:21 PM

809 posts, read 999,345 times
May we keep it that way! My home town in the Midwest had 300 people in it when I was growing up. It now is wall-to-wall houses.

Old 03-09-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
Yeah probably alway is a buyers market, there just are not a lot of people in Vermont or moving to Vermont. I live in Florida half the year and have a house here and one in VT. I think if I wanted to sell my house in Florida it might take 3 months. Selling a house in VT could take years. Not because the place is bad or not worth it, but if you live in a town of 1200 people. Like I do and most of VT. Start thinking about how many new people are moving in? There are some but I think our town population has fluctuated from 800 to 2000 since about the year 1750. Things don't change much. People are not knocking down the door to move there. Pictures of the town from 1850 look the same except there are horses tied up and the general store instead of pickups. That is VT.
In all truthfulness, I am looking exactly for that. I am not a fan of expansion. Here in SoCal and also when I lived in Colorado, all I have ever seen is expansion. I found it disappointing overall. The fact that towns stay the same is a plus for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont